Pool heating fees

Denise6
Level 2
Altamonte Springs, FL

Pool heating fees

Greetings AirBnB Community,  I am adding an electric pool heating system in the fall of 2024.  I am wondering how many of you charge to use the heating system?  Do you charge Thru air bnb? or after on a credit card as a separate feature.  Is it a daily fee or per stay?  How much do you suggest?   What is the best way to point it out in your ad?  I am in Central Florida so weather is cooler Nov- Early April.

Thank you for any insight you all may have.  Denise

2 Replies 2

Hi @Denise6.,

Adding a pool heating option to your Airbnb property in Central Florida is a great enhancement, especially during the cooler months. Here's how you can structure the charges and communicate this feature effectively to potential guests:

1. Deciding Whether to Charge for Pool Heating

First, assess the cost of running the electric pool heater, including installation, maintenance, and energy consumption. This will help you determine whether to absorb the cost or pass it on to guests.

Since you mentioned the cooler months are from November to Early April, consider if you want to offer the heating as an optional charge only during these months or throughout the year.

2. How to Charge for Pool Heating

Daily vs. Per Stay: Charging a daily fee can be more straightforward and fair, especially for guests who may not want to use the pool every day of their stay. This method also aligns the cost with usage more accurately.

Setting the Price: The fee should reflect the actual cost of running the heater and a reasonable markup. Research what others in your area are charging, if available. A typical range might be $20-$50 per day, depending on the size of the pool and the cost of electricity.

3. How to Implement the Charge

Through Airbnb: Adding the pool heating fee as an optional extra on Airbnb is the simplest approach. This can be done through the booking interface where guests can select pool heating as an add-on during their booking process.

Or you can always use the Resolution center to collect the charge.

4. Highlighting the Pool Heating in Your Listing

Listing Title: Mention "Heated Pool" prominently in your listing title during the cooler months to attract interest.

Description: In the description, detail the availability of the heated pool, the costs, and how guests can opt in. Explain the benefits, such as the comfort of swimming in a heated pool during cooler weather.

House Rules or Manual: Include information about the pool heater in your house manual and house rules section, specifying how guests can request heating and any rules related to its use (e.g., hours of operation).

Adjust Pricing or Policy as Needed: Based on feedback and utility costs, adjust your charging policy or pricing to find the best balance between guest satisfaction and your operational costs.
By clearly communicating the benefits and costs associated with pool heating, you can enhance your guests' experience and potentially increase bookings during the cooler months.

I hope this helps!

All the best,

Upfish Management

Karen114
Level 10
Bolton, MA

@Denise6  @Alicia753  has offered great advice.  I do not have a pool in Florida however one of my condo properties does.  it is heated from November on.  Unless you plan on covering the pool to maintain the temp, make it clear to the guests that when It's 40 -50 degrees in December and January your pool will not be at whatever the desired temp is.  I see this a lot during the winter months in Florida.  We've had some very cold and rainy December and January over the last couple of years.  

Karen