Renting upstairs space in our home near the beach

Deborah1558
Level 1
Trappe, PA

Renting upstairs space in our home near the beach

Hello,

I have been hosting on Airbnb for about 9 years, and now we have a 4 bedroom home with 3 full bathrooms.  It's only the two of us now, and  we mainly live on the first floor.  The two rooms upstairs have a (jack and jill)  bathroom between them.  I'm considering renting the two rooms upstairs (which are a bit away from our living space) on Airbnb.  

My question is:  How awkward is it to have strangers living in your house on a weekly (or weekend) basis.  

If you are doing this, renting rooms in your personal home, how's it going?  Do you love/hate it?  I do have a friend who rents airbnbs in people's home when she's traveling and seems to enjoy it.  

I also want to offer activities such as doing a drive on beach day, paddleboarding, kayaking or even a boat excursion in our little boat.

Thank you for any input!

Deb

6 Replies 6
Marie8425
Level 10
Buckeye, AZ

@Deborah1558 

I have 3 Guest rooms usually rented to 3 different people haha.  It will depend on your personalities, my husband is the more flexible and I am  more the rules but we navigate nicely to the middle. lol  

What I found very helpful because cuts down on invasion of our kitchen, Amazon had 2 door mini fridges and  a very  nice but not cluttering food cabinet that I put in each room.  Because mine are mostly  long term I do have a  full size fridge they can share.  I am a coffee addict lol, so I offer my Keurig in the kitchen or if  they prefer drip or electric kettle in  the room.

When I did rooms in Hawaii most tourists arrive late  at  night now in Arizona all Check ins by 7pm.  You  need to know how is the typical  guest arriving?  

One thing I do now because I got burnt, no unnamed guests.  Everyone has to have an Airbnb account.  I  have electronic locks  but I don't  tell code until I  have viewed everyone's legal ID

Hi @Deborah1558! I can't speak to hosting guests in my home, as we host an entire home but as I can say as regarding the experiences that you want to offer you absolutely should! I am an Airbnb interior design and data analyst and without knowing where your home is that is being rented, I can say that amenities such a kayak and paddleboards can bring a $9-13K return on investment annually. These are great to have as well because guests love moments they can capture and share on social media. Please message if you want to connect more on your specific situation. Thanks! 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Heather1967 

An interesting stat - can you you link to the stats you quote that state by having a paddle board or kayak hosts will generate a $9-13 ROI.

we don't normally ask hosts to DM us on this community but offer advice and support here for free. 

Hi @Helen3, That stat is pulled from raw data and consistent across lake and beach markets. Deborah doesn’t seem to have a property linked to her profile so I couldn’t be more specific so that’s why I mentioned to reach out. 👍

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

As sompeone who has spent my career in marketing I'm confused as to how you could pull raw data that would be able to isolate that any increase was due to those two amenities alone or how you access raw data from this party properties @Heather1967 

Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Hello @Deborah1558, welcome to our community! This is a great question 😊

I am reaching out to some of our experienced Hosts to see if they would like to share their opinions:

@Helen3@Alicia753@Mary1523 @Karlis3 @Leigh625 and @Lorina14.

In the meantime, I would love to hear your thoughts on what our lovely Hosts have already shared here.

Looking forward to hearing from you 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad