The Power of Textiles: Transforming Your Airbnb Space

Oksana127
Level 5
Riga, Latvia

The Power of Textiles: Transforming Your Airbnb Space

As an Airbnb host, creating a welcoming and inviting environment is key to ensuring your guests have a memorable stay. One often overlooked aspect of interior design that can dramatically enhance the ambiance of your space is textiles. Let’s explore the significance of textiles in interior design and how they can elevate your Airbnb property.

Setting the Mood

Textiles play a vital role in setting the mood of a room. From the soft touch of bed linens to the warm feel of throw pillows, fabrics contribute to the overall comfort and aesthetic. Consider using rich textures like velvet or soft cotton for pillows and blankets. These elements can create a cozy atmosphere that makes guests feel at home.

Color and Pattern

Colors and patterns in textiles can inject personality into your space. Use curtains, rugs, and cushions to introduce vibrant hues or subtle patterns that reflect the style of your property. Whether you prefer a minimalist design with neutral tones or a bohemian vibe with bold colors, textiles are an easy way to achieve your desired look.

Seasonal Versatility

One of the best aspects of textiles is their ability to adapt to different seasons. Lightweight linens can keep your space cool during the summer, while heavier fabrics can add warmth in the winter. By swapping out textiles like curtains and bedding, you can refresh your space and keep it appealing throughout the year.

Sound Absorption

In addition to aesthetics, textiles can help with sound absorption. Soft furnishings like carpets, curtains, and upholstered furniture can reduce noise levels, creating a more serene environment for your guests. This is especially important in urban settings where external noise can disrupt relaxation.

Personal Touch

Incorporating unique or locally sourced textiles can give your Airbnb a distinctive flair. Consider showcasing handmade quilts, local artisan throw pillows, or regional fabrics that reflect the culture of your area. This not only adds charm but also tells a story, enhancing the overall guest experience.

Conclusion

Investing in quality textiles can significantly improve your Airbnb's ambiance, comfort, and aesthetic appeal. By carefully selecting fabrics that align with your brand and cater to your guests’ needs, you can create a memorable stay that encourages positive reviews and repeat bookings. Remember, it’s often the little details that leave a lasting impression. Happy hosting!111111.jpg

6 Replies 6
Elisa
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Oksana127 😊

Thank you for sharing this interesting topic in the community! 

It's true, textiles can create a welcoming atmosphere in our places.😍 I love how the right fabrics can really transform a space and make it feel like home. 

What are some specific textile items you would recommend investing in to maximize comfort for guests? Are you using this approach at your place?

@Robin4 , @Dr-Jayanthi1 , @Guy991@Karen114@Karen4131 , @Howard103  and @Marie8425 What do you think about this topic as it relates to your house?

Warm regards🌻,

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines //Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center
Robin4
Top Contributor
Mount Barker, Australia

@Oksana127 

Personally Oksana, As a host I place as little emphasis and expense as possible on textiles.

That's not to say I don't provide a nice welcoming environment for my guests. I provide a library of over 1,000 books and periodicals.......

IMG20220526133557.jpg

I provide a specially made electric bed, It is 8ft 2 long, Queen bed width, is heated for colder evenings of the year and it has 6 motors built into it for lift and massage.....

IMG20170308183328 03.jpg

It is an old building and I make it as eclectic as possible, even to the extent of retaining a European Wasp nest on one of the walls they managed to build back 15 years ago before renovation when it was just a disused old stone building.

I put the effort into making guests as comfortable as possible while at the same time minimizing my chance of guests destroying what I offer......

When I first started to host a very wise person said to me..."Don't put anything out there you are not prepared to lose"!

As nice as guests are Oksana, they are strangers in your space and what seems bleedin' obviously you, is foreign to them and 'accidents' happen.

* Cushions get cigarette burns in them despite the fact you have a no smoking policy.

* Coloured bed linens get permanently bleached by acne treatment cream the guest couldn't be bother removing before retiring.

* Carpets and rugs require continual maintenance through wine spillage and destruction by the careless use of nail polish remover. I have had all these things happen to me.

Over my decade of hosting the only things that have been destroyed are the textiles. The only 'textiles' that have remained intact are the original artworks I have hanging around the walls.

I provide pastel coloured bed linens in light shades.....green and blue for the summer and yellow and warmer colours for winter time. I find my most durable bed-linens and easiest to iron and maintain are my 300 thread count polly-cottons at $35 per set from Spotlight.

I once got marked down by a guest, she gave me a 3 star for 'cleanliness'! Her comment was, "The rug looked old and shabby"! That rug was a handed down Turkish triple knotted silk rug, probably worth more than the late model car she showed up in!

I fixed that quick smart! I headed straight down to IKEA and spent $75 on some synthetic piece of nonsense and have not had a complaint since.

I have learned over the years living out your personal fantasies with guests does not work. They are paying for it, so they figure that gives them the right to be careless with it. Look after them as best you can but keep it utilitarian, cheap and functional.

Every guest of mine gets a cheese plate, a bottle wine and a handshake on arrival and for every 50 reviews I get.......Listing photo..png 48 of them will be 5 star.

Cheers.......Rob.

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Your place looks like a cozy hideaway! That garden view is the perfect atmosphere —just grab a book and immerse yourself in nature. 😍📖

Regarding the bed, what makes it electric? Is that a heated blanket or a mattress topper?

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Robin4
Top Contributor
Mount Barker, Australia

@Quincy 

Yeah that's what I promote, nothing quite as relaxing as sitting in a quite garden.

I had the bed custom made Quincy!

The bed was always going to be the focal point of my listing. It was my experience while traveling, in all the various B&Bs that we stayed in, if you had a good nights sleep you could forgive any other little inadequacies the establishment may have had.

If however, you rolled around all night on an uncomfortable piece of rubbish your only desire the next morning was to get out of the place.

Beds in many short term rentals tend to be 'hand me downs' or beds that other family members don't want to sleep on. So when I decided to STR with Airbnb my bed was always going to be the heart and soul of the cottage.

I wanted an electric bed so the guests could automatically raise or lower the bed level to a height they were used to, or comfortable with. They can also raise the pillow end if they want to read or watch TV in bed, same with the foot end, and there is a massage function. 

Straight away we struck an issue. I have found the best nights sleep comes from a well made coil spring mattress and everybody told me (because of its functions) you can only have a memory foam mattress on an electric bed. And to me a memory foam bed is a bit like eating 'Bakers cream' instead of real cream!

Working with a good quality local mattress maker, they custom made this special 8ft 2in long coil spring mattress with a series of pockets sewn across the width of the bed. Sort of like belt eyelets on a pair of strides. When attaching the mattress to the 4 segment ply board base, metal rods side into the pockets which then lock to the bed base.

There you go, problem solved, it behaves just like a memory foam mattress (without the foam) when the head or the foot of the bed is raised.

To my knowledge it is unique! It is the only coil spring electric bed in the world. The massage pads on both sides are built into the bottom layer of the mattress. The bed heating is just a good quality Queen size dual control electric blanket and on top of that is 2 mattress protectors  to make sure my investment is safe. I then have a quilted fitted mattress overlay and we come to the bottom sheet!

Sure it cost me a bob or two, but it's been worth it Quincy, it definitely brings me a lot of guests. Most of them make a public comment about it in the review process. 

Cheers.........Rob.

Karen4131
Top Contributor
Malmö, Sweden

Hi @Oksana127 

Thank you for a great post about textiles 🙂

I’m really tempted to decorate with cushions, throws, bedspreads, etc., because they indeed create a cozy and exclusive feel. However, I always have some concerns about these items since they can be more difficult to wash.

I know how I feel about textiles in a hotel room. The first thing I do when I enter the room is to pack away everything that decorates the chairs, sofas, and the bed, but that may not necessarily be washed after every stay.

So, I feel a bit conflicted about this, but I do acknowledge the possibilities of creating a wonderful atmosphere with beautiful and luxurious textiles 😍

Best regards, Karen

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Karen4131 I completely understand your concern about cleanliness—I do the same in hotel rooms, putting away any cushions left on the bed since it's hard to know when they were last cleaned.

Have you considered having two sets of textiles? This way, you can switch them out between guests, ensuring everything stays fresh while still creating that cozy atmosphere.

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen