Tips from My Years of Hosting on Airbnb: What Works for Me

Tips from My Years of Hosting on Airbnb: What Works for Me

Over the years of hosting on Airbnb, I’ve learned that successful hosting goes beyond providing a place to stay—it’s about creating a memorable experience for your guests. Here are a few tips that have worked well for me:

1. Personal Touches Make a Difference: I’ve found that small personal touches can leave a lasting impression. A welcome note, a basket of local snacks, or even a guide to nearby attractions can make guests feel valued and appreciated. These gestures often lead to great reviews and repeat bookings.

2. Clear Communication is Key: From the moment a guest inquires about your property, clear and prompt communication is essential. I always make sure to respond quickly to inquiries and provide detailed information about the check-in process, house rules, and local tips. This helps set expectations and reduces the chances of misunderstandings.

3. Invest in Quality Photography: Your listing photos are the first thing potential guests see, so it’s worth investing in high-quality images. I’ve noticed a significant increase in bookings after upgrading my photos to better showcase the space. Good lighting and angles can make a huge difference.

4. Consistency in Cleanliness: A clean space is non-negotiable. I maintain a strict cleaning routine and make sure everything is spotless before each guest arrives. If you’re not able to do it yourself, hiring a reliable cleaning service is a worthwhile investment.

5. Be Flexible When Possible: Being flexible with check-in and check-out times, when feasible, has helped me win over guests who may have special requests. Flexibility shows that you’re accommodating, which guests greatly appreciate.

6. Handle Issues with Care: No matter how well you prepare, issues can arise. When they do, I’ve found that addressing them promptly and professionally goes a long way. Whether it’s a small complaint or a larger issue, resolving it quickly can turn a potentially negative experience into a positive one.

These tips have helped me build a successful hosting experience on Airbnb, leading to high guest satisfaction and repeat visitors. Hosting is a journey, and with each guest, there’s always something new to learn and improve. Happy hosting!

4 Replies 4
Elena4354
Level 10
Porto, Portugal

Hi @Lodge102, thank you so much for sharing your tips. The same tips work for me, so I 100% agree with every word. Congratulations on becoming a passionate and successful host!

Kind regards.

Elena.

Great tips, thx.   Regarding snacks, chocolates, etc, I've read they are sometimes not advised due to people that may have allergies, such as younger kids that run in and grab and down it before the parents realize it.  Thoughts?     I agree in principal with providing something but I'm a bit concerned as well.  

@Lodge102 wrote:

Over the years of hosting on Airbnb, I’ve learned that successful hosting goes beyond providing a place to stay—it’s about creating a memorable experience for your guests. Here are a few tips that have worked well for me:

1. Personal Touches Make a Difference: I’ve found that small personal touches can leave a lasting impression. A welcome note, a basket of local snacks, or even a guide to nearby attractions can make guests feel valued and appreciated. These gestures often lead to great reviews and repeat bookings.

2. Clear Communication is Key: From the moment a guest inquires about your property, clear and prompt communication is essential. I always make sure to respond quickly to inquiries and provide detailed information about the check-in process, house rules, and local tips. This helps set expectations and reduces the chances of misunderstandings.

3. Invest in Quality Photography: Your listing photos are the first thing potential guests see, so it’s worth investing in high-quality images. I’ve noticed a significant increase in bookings after upgrading my photos to better showcase the space. Good lighting and angles can make a huge difference.

4. Consistency in Cleanliness: A clean space is non-negotiable. I maintain a strict cleaning routine and make sure everything is spotless before each guest arrives. If you’re not able to do it yourself, hiring a reliable cleaning service is a worthwhile investment.

5. Be Flexible When Possible: Being flexible with check-in and check-out times, when feasible, has helped me win over guests who may have special requests. Flexibility shows that you’re accommodating, which guests greatly appreciate.

6. Handle Issues with Care: No matter how well you prepare, issues can arise. When they do, I’ve found that addressing them promptly and professionally goes a long way. Whether it’s a small complaint or a larger issue, resolving it quickly can turn a potentially negative experience into a positive one.

These tips have helped me build a successful hosting experience on Airbnb, leading to high guest satisfaction and repeat visitors. Hosting is a journey, and with each guest, there’s always something new to learn and improve. Happy hosting!

Great tips! I totally agree with the importance of clear communication and quality photography. I've noticed that being responsive and transparent with guests builds trust and sets the right expectations. Personal touches like welcome notes have also made a big difference in guest satisfaction for me. Thanks for sharing

Linda2652
Level 2
Jackson Township, NJ

Things potential guests want to know/see to decide if a place is right for them:

1) Bed size(s)

2) Bathroom pictures &/or full descriptions. i.e. "shower" instead of just "tub" in lieu of pics

3) If loft is present, how to reach it

4) Are there closets/hooks, etc to hang jackets, clothes

5) Are there ample towels etc. for extended stays in lieu of washer/dryer

Things hosts should provide:

1) Ample towels especially if they're aware guests intend to stay for more than 5 days. 

(And why do most hosts not seem to understand that people use face clothes & hand towels, too?)

2) Space in cupboards to put their OWN supplies 

3) Clean refrigerators mostly free of others' old (and sometimes moldy) condiments

4) Sufficient casserole/baking dishes/sheets/pans

5) Instructions:

(a) For whatever coffee makers they have since "Keurig" makes so many diferent & oft times convoluted ones;

(b) For televisions since we all have different models/streaming services/cable connections, etc.;

(c) For washer/dryers since, again, we all have different makes/models;

(d) Where is breaker box incase of power out or fuse blown;

(e) For whatever fixture/piece of equipment, etc. that may be unique to that particular home or one that has caused problems in the past for previous guests and how to temporarily repair or fix it w/o emergency calling host and guest losing a day of their vacation waiting for that repair to be done.

Sure there are more but those are the most persistent and repetitive problems & complaints I've encountered.  Linda