Unused Bed?

Answered!

Unused Bed?

Hi all, I have a question I'd love to hear opinions on. 

If you know a bed was unused after a stay, do you clean the linens anyway?

I have a 3 bedroom house and not all beds get used sometimes but I always have all 3 made. 

1 Best Answer
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Chantel16 

Yes I know this is kitch but, it achieves what I want it too.

poster,504x498,f8f8f8-pad,600x600,f8f8f8.jpg

I have printed up a supply of these cards. Whenever I make the sofa bed up I put one of these cards in between the top and the bottom sheet about a foot (300mm) down from where the pillows will be when the bed is pulled out!

If the bed has been used the card will be in the rubbish bin,  or at least not in the bed, if it hasn't been used the card will still be exactly where I put it.

It never fails, it is always hard to tell with a sofa bed whether it has been used or not! Once the guest folds it away you have no way of knowing.

I am not going to do work I do not need to do so, I simply pull the bed out, check for the card, if its there, I fold the bed away again......... if its not I strip and remake the bed! 

Simple, kitch......but effective!

Cheers..........Rob.

@Laura2592  @Jillian115  @Dimitar27  @Lorna170

View Best Answer in original post

14 Replies 14
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

I have 3 bedrooms apartment with 5 beds. I always ask which beds they want to use. Then I prepare as they said and just leave a waterproof sheet and a decorative cover on other, unused beds. This way I save my time and laundry costs and I spare our planet

Nobody ever complained

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Chantel16   We wash ALL bed linens and towel sets between guests.  Some guests will make up a bed so that it appears to be unused, even when a single guest in a two bedroom accommodation.  Of course, you could only put linens on one bed for the guest, but then you run the risk of a guest not liking one bed over another and complaining that the accommodation was not set up for their needs or preferences.

Dimitar27
Level 10
Sofia, Bulgaria

When you make a bed, an invisible clock is being turned on. The bed will stay "fresh" and will look  clean only for a limited period of time. In most cases, 12-24 hours. After that, the air and moisture from the room will fully penetrate all the fabrics and the feeling will be totally different.

Jillian115
Level 10
Jamestown, CA

I never skip a step when cleaning - just in case. I don't want to miss anything. 

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Chantel16  can you lock the doors for the rooms that aren't being used?

Since they pay for the whole house I dont think that's right.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Chantel16 

Yes I know this is kitch but, it achieves what I want it too.

poster,504x498,f8f8f8-pad,600x600,f8f8f8.jpg

I have printed up a supply of these cards. Whenever I make the sofa bed up I put one of these cards in between the top and the bottom sheet about a foot (300mm) down from where the pillows will be when the bed is pulled out!

If the bed has been used the card will be in the rubbish bin,  or at least not in the bed, if it hasn't been used the card will still be exactly where I put it.

It never fails, it is always hard to tell with a sofa bed whether it has been used or not! Once the guest folds it away you have no way of knowing.

I am not going to do work I do not need to do so, I simply pull the bed out, check for the card, if its there, I fold the bed away again......... if its not I strip and remake the bed! 

Simple, kitch......but effective!

Cheers..........Rob.

@Laura2592  @Jillian115  @Dimitar27  @Lorna170

Kimberly735
Level 2
North Carolina, United States

@Robin4 

I am totally stealing this idea! Marvelous and simple. Love it

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Kimberly735 

Kim we learn lots of tricks as time goes by.

After hosting more than 500 guest stays since 2015 I would lay a bet, I could rob a bank now and not get caught!

Cheers.......Rob

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

No, I would not wash bed linen on an unused bed, but would ensure it's aired if the bed isn't used for a period of time.

I personally only make up the bed the day my Guest arrives so I know it's 100% fresh.

Having worked in Hospitality there's tricks one learnt that showed if a person had slept in a bed when it's made, creased sheets or hairs are always a dead give-away.

I like  @Robin4 idea, and am sure there's others to, how about leaving the bed with the sheets turned down - as in partly folded over at the top and tucked in at the sides so you can tell if it;s been slept in?
That is of course if you use 2 sheets..

All the best

It just seems to me like such a waste of resources to clean something that's....clean, already. I do not by any means leave guests a dirty home or bed but cleaning a room that's already clean just seems unnecessary. Idk, its tough.

M199
Level 10
South Bruce Peninsula, Canada

@Chantel16 

I decide on a reservation by reservation basis.  That being said, if it appears the bed is unused. I will always spray it with Disinfectant no matter.

You spray sheets and pillow cases with a disinfectant like Lysol and then allow people to sleep on them?  

Oh, no, no, no.