Washer and dryer in unit

JaNyce3
Level 1
Pueblo, CO

Washer and dryer in unit

I have a washer and dryer in the unit.  I currently have guests booked for 10 days.  This is day 3 ave they've already ran at least 2 loads.  I didn't expect guests to wash clothes every day.  It's a lot of water.  How do I discuss this with my guests?

6 Replies 6
Shelley159
Top Contributor
Stellenbosch, South Africa

Hi @JaNyce3 

If you do a search for washing machine and tumble dryer here in the Community center, you'll find many discussions and tips.

I price in average use of the machines and then I don't monitor use at all. Some guests use more and some less, so it evens out over time.

However, there are many hosts in situations where it's impotant to control laundry loads - some use smart machines that record usage, some use pay-per-load and some make rules on how many loads are permitted per length of booking.

In your situation I think the focus should be on how you decide to handle this in future - the present guests can probably make an argument that they are not doing anything wrong?

@Shelley159 They really aren't doing anything wrong. I didn't put anything in the listing. I am new to this and am not sure how ro deal. When you say you price an average use, is it a fee you tack on or just up your base price? 

Shelley159
Top Contributor
Stellenbosch, South Africa

Hi @JaNyce3 

In my case I just make sure that average use of everything (including laundry facilities) is covered by my nightly rate, I don't charge a fee for using the machines or supplies.

There is presently a discussion about laundry going on in the Community Center, perhaps you can get some useful insights from others there as well:

Re: Are guests able to do laundry at your property... - Airbnb Community (withairbnb.com)

Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Hello @JaNyce3

@Shelley159 has shared a wonderful suggestion 😍.

It could be a great idea to join the conversation she shared and connect with hosts discussing this topic to better understand their approach and how you can handle this situation.

Best regards,

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad

Bronwyn100
Level 10
Hardys Bay, Australia

If you have a bath in the premises then a lot of water is going to be used too. For future guests a note in the laundry to be mindful of water usage should be sufficient. 

Justin2095
Level 2
Gold Coast, Australia

Seems a bit unusual to be washing so much but perhaps they have been travelling prior to your stay.I'd say this is more a rarity.

Water generally isn't so costly (at least not here in Australia) but as someone suggested you could try small signage or add to booklet saying that (paraphrasing) you do everything to be environmental & green and as such please be conscious of water usage during your stay. 

Hope this helps 🙂 

Justin