What to do when guest take towels?

Answered!
Sheila803
Level 3
Lancaster, CA

What to do when guest take towels?

Hello, everyone, I'm Sheila! I resently started hosting on a serious level. I was just wondering, what do you do when all your towels start walking away? Do you mention it to guest or just chalk up towels as a lost and buy more? I'm sure they're not file a claim worthy. 🙄 

1 Best Answer
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Sheila803 Its not worth the hassle of a claim but you should leave an honest review. We have never had it happen so lets hope its a one off for you as well.

View Best Answer in original post

43 Replies 43

I have "lost" or had a few damaged due to guests using bleach in colored towels..  I chalk a towel here and there or blanket up to "the cost of doing the business" we're in.  I keeps me buying new stock here and there, and help adds to the write offs at tax time.

Deb25
Level 2
Baker City, OR

@Sheila803 I would definitely mention this in their review as well as requesting repayment money for the towels by sending the request through Airbnb.

So far I’ve never needed to file a claim.  When requesting additional money from my guest I’ve provided evidence of what the problem is that caused the request.

Aubrey71
Level 1
Toronto, Canada

@Sheila803 I would let that slip and buy more towels.

Abi010
Level 7
England, United Kingdom

I am a live in host, and mostly around when guests are checking out,and I have hosted for 6 years, and I haven't had any towels being taken, so I can't say much on it,but if it happens I'll just replace them, it doesn't worth the hassle. 

Happy hosting everyone 

Bonum0
Level 2
Miramar, FL

Hi @Sheila803 , nice to greet you. When this happens, we talk to the guests and give them the opportunity to show the reason for the absence of the towels, once we reach an agreement, we advise them that we will charge or replace them for the lost towel. We hope we have helped. Best regards!

Christine344
Level 2
Chatham, MA

Personally I have not ever had this happen, but I agree with others that things I thought had gone missing turned up in the strangest places, and people seem to rush out at the end leaving all sorts of things behind, so we often have to give them the benefit of the doubt. I have had glassware disappear, and one never knows if they were pilfered or broken, it just becomes a cost of renting. It’s a learning process!  I have also learned to supply very generic towels - good quality, but very uninteresting. No point in tempting folks with souvenirs. Along those same lines, I buy all white towels which are easy to mix and match. When I first began renting, I had lovely jacard light blue towels with a detailed trim, and when a few became permanently soiled, that was the end of the entire set. Since then, life has been easier and I replace soiled face cloths every year with new ones. I also provide towels specifically for makeup. Doesn’t help the pillowcases, but has made a difference with facecloths. 

Becca2118
Level 2
Abiquiu, NM

I haven’t had anyone walk off with towels but I have had two guests ruin towels and sheets beyond repair. I brought it up in a message after they checked out but I didn’t reduce their rating because otherwise, they were great guests. They ended up being apologetic and at that point, I chalk it up to being in the business and some things are just going to need to be replaced from time to time. I think guests need to be held accountable by making them aware that you know the items were damaged or missing BUT that interaction definitely needs to be handled delicately and with class. I’d probably do it the same way if I were missing something like towels. I don’t think I could let it go without addressing it with the guest.

Cecilia1131
Level 1
New Smyrna Beach, FL

@Sheila803 I only had it happen once . it was 4 missing out of my set of six that I have for beach use . I just messaged my Renters and ask did they perhaps misplaced them. She looked in her beach bag, and said she had accidentally put them in there for a day at the beach and forgot to take them out, and she mailed them back to me. 
I use basic white towels for the bathroom. They’re easy to clean and bleach and disinfect. Nobody really wants to take those home!  Lol 

Charlotte1181
Level 1
England, United Kingdom

Report it to air bnb.

Con2749
Level 2
Dingle, Ireland

@Sheila803 

I have been a host for 8 years  and have never had  towels or other linen removed (with almost a 1,000 reviews and hosted 63 nationalties so far). If it only happened once I would put it down to a cost. However if it was ongoing I would put up a notice advising that you would claim off Airbnb /the guests credit card for missing/damaged items.    

Anne-Marie382
Level 2
Dublin, Ireland

Oh goodness, Hi Sheila ..I have to be honest I have never done a count on the towels after! I just assume they are all there! I believe I over stocked on towels too though! 

Bernice54
Level 2
Baldwin, NY

Never had that experience. Sorry. 

Alexander1163
Level 2
New York, NY

I treat towels and linens as disposables, as a general rule, and, as a result, have a stock of replacements in the airtight container in the shed. So when one or two pieces of linen get destroyed or disappear, particularly after a long stay (I have STR and MTR listings), I take a loss, write it off and replace them with new.
However, should a particular guest remove ALL towels, I would file a claim, as it is clearly an ill motivated and purposeful act and platform should be notified.

good luck!

Chelsea421
Level 2
Cañon City, CO

I have yet to have any walk off, but I’ve had plenty ruined. I consider it a cost of doing business and I regularly order linens. It’s a write off and I want my guests to feel clean.