Dealing with nosey apartment neighbors

E-andM1
Level 1
Houston, TX

Dealing with nosey apartment neighbors

So I’ve been hosting out of my apartment for about 6 months now. I have a corporate lease with my apartment management that allows me to house other people. However, I have a neighbor & his wife that are always being very nosey. Asking me questions about the people coming in and out my house as if someone made them captain of neighborhood watch. They are beginning to become very harassing at this point as I have been stopped 3 times by them to ask me questions stating that they were just being concern for everyone’s safety. (Note: No one has ever bothered them!)  Every time I give them the same answer, in which implies it’s none of their business but they continue to dig and I feel as though they will start to question my guest. How have any of you fellow host dealt with a “Bob or a Karen”? (Those are their names.) lol 

3 Replies 3
Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@E-andM1 Perhaps your neighbors are genuinely concerned. I’m sure you can empathize with the fact that having random strangers coming and going in close proximity all the time could make some folks uneasy. Have you taken the time to try to understand their concerns, and given them reasons to be reassured? Having a good relationship with your neighbors is an advantage to you. You also don’t want them causing you issues with your Airbnb, which you hint at the possibility of. Working this out may take a bit of effort, but will surely be worth it. 

I have had this discussion with with them and let them know what I was doing & I assured them that they have nothing to worry about before. I also emphasized that if any makes any trouble to let me know but if no one is bothering them than there’s nothing to be concerned about. 

Building a fence is the fastest and most obvious way to keep nosey neighbors out. A 6-foot-tall solid wood or vinyl fence is an easy solution for privacy. Adding an iMessage for PC open lattice or baluster top softens the rigid look of a solid board fence and planting small flowering shrubs along the base adds texture and color.