What makes Superhosts so “super”?

Airbnb
Official Account

What makes Superhosts so “super”?

In celebration of the 5th anniversary of the Superhost program, we’re highlighting a few of the incredible hosts who have been Superhosts since the very beginning.

This month marks the fifth anniversary of Airbnb’s Superhost program, and we’re celebrating that important milestone by putting the spotlight on a few of the many incredible hosts who have achieved Superhost status again and again. Believe it or not, over 3,000 hosts have managed to earn Superhost status for all 20 consecutive quarters since the start of the program in 2014! We wanted to know: what does it take to be a Superhost for five-years running? Here, a selection of fascinating 20-term Superhosts share their stories and unique approaches for taking hospitality to the next level.

Australia_Larrelle_1920x1080.jpg

Larrelle, Woolamia, Australia

Despite being self-described introverts,  and her husband decided to take a leap into Airbnb hosting by sharing the spacious guest cottage on their 20-acre ranch just outside the popular beach town of Huskisson, Australia. “I think it’s come quite naturally, which is a surprise to me, being a private person who’s more drawn to animals, but I really enjoy meeting people, hearing about their adventures and sharing what we have here,” Larrelle says. “I love seeing the joy on people’s faces when they interact with my family and my animals.”

Guests share the property with three horses and a troop of wild kangaroos. “It’s very rewarding to me, especially to see how children react, coming from homes where they don’t have a dog, let alone horses and kangaroos,” she says. Larelle credits her 20-term Superhost status with the fact that she provides her guests a thoughtfully appointed space removed just enough from the hustle and bustle of her area’s attractions.  She also provides unique opportunities to slow down, connect with nature and participate in as much or as little farm life as they’re interested in. “We’ve got a lot of guests that will come out and feed the animals with me or help to brush the horses,” she says. “And guests will wake up to kangaroos bouncing around right outside their window. You can’t get that everywhere.”

UK_Vicky_1920x1080.jpg

Vicky, Penzance, UK

In 2006, Vicky and her partner Joe moved from London to Penzance, on the rugged Cornwall coast of Great Britain, to fulfill their dream of starting a recording studio and indie music label near the sea. The couple purchased a stunning Victorian stone home and furnished it with antique furniture, instruments and knick-knacks that express their unique style and creativity. Once they realized how much they enjoyed opening their home to the musicians they were working with, they decided to keep the good thing going by becoming Airbnb hosts.

Vicky believes she’s achieved Superhost status 20 terms running thanks to her love of showing guests the beauty of the place she now calls home. When interested, some guests have had the unique experience of exploring the recording studio and potentially meeting the artists working there (some of whom tour internationally and have become quite well-known). But above all, she enjoys sharing her hospitality and connecting personally with her guests. “I make a lovely, healthy breakfast and chat with them about their lives and make recommendations if they want them,” she says. “And sometimes there’s a natural connection. I mean, we have had two hour breakfasts and then guests realize that they’re actually here to explore Cornwall!”

Japan_Daisuke_Hila_1920x1080.jpg

Daisuke & Hila, Fujieda, Japan

Daisuke and Hila dreamt of owning a historic home in one of the breathtaking rural villages near Fujieda, Japan where they could host travelers and introduce them to the region’s culture. But traditionally, homes are passed down for generations, so they knew it would be difficult to find one they could buy. When they finally located the 96-year-old traditional house where they now host guests from all over the world, it was in grave disrepair. They painstakingly renovated it and transformed it into a base for exploring the countryside and introducing guests to aspects of Japan they’d never be able to experience without a local guide.

Since the start of the Superhost program, the couple have earned their status as guest favorites for their personalized and unique hospitality. “A week before guests arrive we communicate with them to get some idea of what they want to do,” Daisuke says. “And then we pick them up from the nearest train station and show some things on the way to our home — the rice fields, the bamboo forest, the green tea fields, the village... it's a good opportunity to make the first connection.”

“Then we stop at a grocery store and help them buy food because of course everything is in Japanese,” Hila adds. “And most guests like to have dinner prepared by us.”

In addition to hosting, Daisuke and Hila farm bamboo, which is used by local artisans to create traditional goods like woven baskets, lampshades, and bags. Guests can experience the bamboo harvest or join a Bamboo weaving workshop with Daisuke. It’s an opportunity not only to share the culture they love, but also a beautiful opportunity for the local villagers to experience new people from around the world.

“You know, with some people you really connect. One guest gave me tea they brought from home and said, ‘It's our 32nd Airbnb and we’ve never experienced such amazing hospitality,” Hila says. “And I just started to cry. I was so happy and embarrassed.”

Korea_Younghee_1920x1080.jpg

Younghee, Gwangju-si, South Korea

When visual artist Younghee and her husband Dongwook moved back to Korea after raising their children in the U.S. and Japan, they decided to build a one-of-a-kind modern home that expressed their artistic vision—The Lemon House, which boasts an art gallery, expansive views of the Gwangju-si countryside, and a distinctive lemon-shaped window in the top floor suite. “Lemons are a motif I often use in my art,” Younghee says. “It’s light-hearted, and my grandchildren have enjoyed playing here.”

Younghee and Dongwook credit their experience living abroad with giving them the courage to try Airbnb hosting. And they’ve experienced great success as Superhosts for 20 successive quarters. “My husband and I had a simple life,” Younghee says. “We thought it was an exciting idea to meet people from different professions and even from different generations. I thought it would be a wonderful opportunity for me to share my life experiences and encourage others to pursue their dreams as well.”

Younghee’s hosting routine includes decorating the house with fresh wildflowers, preparing a delicious breakfast each morning and helping her guests experience the local culture and environment in whatever ways they enjoy. Some of her guests mention in reviews that she and her husband took them grocery shopping, showed them around a museum, or even guided them on hikes. “For me, it’s not just about offering accommodations,” Younghee says, “it’s a cultural exchange. We think of hosting as a service to others, which also heals us emotionally in return.”

India_Nalin_1920x1080.jpg

Nalin, New Delhi, India

During the process of traveling around 45 countries for his job as a software developer, Nalin grew tired of cookie-cutter corporate hotels and started staying in Airbnbs to get experiences that felt more like home. He met so many interesting people along the way that he decided to return the favor by hosting travelers in his native New Delhi. “As I started hosting, I became more passionate about it,” he says. “At my core, I’m a wanderer myself. And through hosting and traveling I now have a friendly connection in almost every major city around the world.”

Nalin has attained Superhost status for 20 consecutive quarters, an accomplishment he says is due to his desire to connect with guests and show them the best possible hospitality. “I want guests to feel that even if they're staying for just five days that this is their home,” he says. “You are not some outsider who has booked this place—you just belong here.”

Nalin’s Airbnb hosting has grown from his original unit to eight apartments that he personally manages, offering each guest amenities like fresh flowers and an Amazon Echo, as well as whatever level of guidance and interaction they prefer. “I always like to meet guests during their stay, and help them navigate the city based on what they like,” he says. “I tell them, ‘If you are out in the city and need a recommendation for a place to eat or someone to share a meal with, call me.’ It’s important to make guests feel like part of my family.”

64 Replies 64
Kaybee0
Level 2
Mauritius

Congratulations hosts, absolutely fantastic!  After reading it makes me want to stay in all of them 🙂 Happy hosting 🙂 

Lori378
Level 1
Sonora, CA

Great article with inspiring stories. I’m looking forward to creating a few of my own. 

It's great to hear about other Superhost's experiences!  I have been a Superhost since I started Airbnb 2 years ago and I strive hard to make sure to keep that status.  I love what I do and love to meet people from all over the world.  I always keep in mind that it could be me or one of my family, coming to stay, so I try to put in the extra little touch...

Lovely and inspiring stories! 

Love love love!  Bravo!

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

I love love love your comment, @Kim-and-Bob0 🙂

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Helen-and-Rod0
Level 2
Warana, Australia

Some great tips.   My husband & I have been Airbnb hosts since August 2018 & thoroughly enjoy the experience... but always open to any other ideas/suggestions to make us a little bit more unique..  Thank you so much 🙂

Sharon146
Level 2
Ashland, VA

I also enjoyed the stories.  I have been a Superhost since I signed on with Airbandb.  I live in Ashland, Virgina, USA and my space is literally on the street which has a train going by about 45 times daily.  Folks love the train and I have used a train theme throughout the Guesthouse.  There are adult and children's books  about trains and many toy trains are used for decoration but can be played with as well.  There are also stuffed bears in each bedroom and I ask younger guests to do me a favor- hug the bears because most of the time I have adult guests and they "forget".  I also love people and want to make breakfast according to their food preferences.  And, of course, there are always homemade chocolate cookies when they arrive.  Guests have given me railroad items, candies from their native country and one guest actually gave me an antique lamp which had been in her family for quite some time.  I was originally an oil lamp then converted to electricity. It's beautiful!  I love hosting and hope to maintain my Superhost status as long as I am connected to Airbandb.

Sharon M.

Sharon146
Level 2
Ashland, VA

I also enjoyed reading the stories. I don't get many international guests but I appreciate all the good ideas.

Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

@Laura   @Lizzie @Airbnb 

The post states.. 

"Believe it or not, over 3,000 hosts have managed to earn Superhost status for all 20 consecutive quarters since the start of the program in 2014!"

I'm confused. In a previous Airbnb Updates thread from April 9th (Inside Look - Superhost Appreciation Party), it was stated that as of the 18th Superhost allocation, "fewer than 100 people have maintained consecutive Superhost status since it was introduced 5 years ago"

Indeed, one of just 12 hosts who was invited to the "Superhost Appreciation Party",  was even more specific and said "I am honoured to be one of 89 Superhosts in the world that have been awarded the designation for 18 quarters running". Presumably, this was the figure given to him by Airbnb when he was invited to the party. 

Admittedly, I'm no maths genius, but how is it even remotely possible that there were "fewer than 100" who had 18 consecutive superhost awards, yet  Airbnb is now suddenly claiming that "over 3000 hosts" have hit the 20/20 mark?  Please clarify. 20190725_180603.png

Screenshot_20190725-181001.png

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Susan17,

Thanks so much for your help here, I can understand your confusion and can confirm that the number outlined in this topic is correct–it's just over 3,000 Superhosts globally who have achieved this. Which either way is pretty amazing really. I'm not sure if the other numbers were more country specific perhaps, but we are making sure this is clear across all the topics and elsewhere–a big thanks again for spotting this. 

Slightly off-topic, but I have a sneaky suspicion, based on another thread I read a couple of months back that you might be one of the amazing few to achieve this? I know you have been a Superhost many many times, so even though you have mixed feeling on the badge, I want to congratulate you and thank you for being a fab host for so many years. 

I've never been to Ireland, but would love to go, perhaps I could jump over the Irish sea and my first visit could be Dublin? 🙂 

Thanks again,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Hi @Lizzie! Hope you're enjoying your weekend! Sorry for slow response - still no notifications for me when I'm tagged 😞

As regards the numbers - Dave, (the superhost in the pic above, and co-founder of the Noiseaware noise monitoring device), was told at the Superhost Appreciation Party in February, that he was one of only 89 hosts in the world  who who had achieved SH status all 18 times, and indeed, not all the hosts who were invited to the party were US based, so the figure of 89 couldn't be country specific. Also, given that Airbnb publicly recommends Dave's company as one of their 2019 Preferred Software Partners, one would expect that the information he was given at the time was correct

In the great scheme of things of course, it really doesn't matter a jot whether the true figure is fewer than 100, or greater than 3000 - it just irritates the life out of me that Airbnb can never, ever give a straight answer to anything, and this is just another example of their "data" arbitrarily changing to suit whatever agenda they've got going on, on any given day. Doesn't say a whole lot for their credibility. 

@Lizzie 

Yes, I did make the 20/20, so thank you for the congratulations.. much appreciated 😉

My feelings on the SH programme are well documented in the CC, but nonetheless, I do admit to being fiercely proud that after welcoming  over 5000 visitors through my doors, I've never cancelled on a guest, never had a bad review, and despite Airbnb moving the goalposts on a daily basis and making it increasingly impossible for small independent hosts like me to stay in the game, the personalised experience and level of service I provide for all my guests has remained unchanged since Day 1. 

Sadly though, Airbnb has failed time and again to honour their part of the deal, and rather than nurture and support the hard-working, well-performing "core hosts" - on whose backs the company built its reputation, brand image and fortunes - they're quietly but steadily pushing us out of the market altogether. Consequently, they're haemorrhaging all their best, most committed hosts from the platform, in favour of fly-by-night chancers and soul-less corporate "mega-hosts" with vast inventories. Let's see how that strategy works out for them in the long run... 

I'm shocked that you've never been to Ireland yet though @Lizzie! I think you'd absolutely love it. Get yourself over here soon - come September, the flights will be cheap as chips again. There'll always be the warmest of welcomes for you here, and I'd be more than happy to show you the hidden gems of Dublin 😉

Debbie80
Level 2
San Diego, CA

I have a digital lock that guests can check themselves in.  I thought I loved the idea but now I am feeling like I am missing the "human touch" that is so much more than a phone call!  Time to rethink.....

Bonnie44
Level 2
Fairfax, CA

It makes me want to travel as a guest to these featured hosts home!