Day 20: What are your holiday movie traditions?

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Day 20: What are your holiday movie traditions?

Screenshot 2020-12-02 at 11.07.28.png

From the many Christmas traditions out there, I find there is nothing better than being with my favourite people, wearing PJs, sitting down to a good movie and letting my tummy work away on that food baby. 

Christmas has come to represent different things to different people, and the movies that take inspiration from (or are taking place during) Christmas reflect that. The holiday movie canon has expanded exponentially. 

My favourite list includes the romantic Love Actually, the horror-esque Nightmare Before Christmas, as well as the action-packed Die Hard, which yes, is a Christmas movie, and that's all there is to it. 

Whether you’re after the warm blanket effect of a romantic comedy, a Christmas classic, a die-hard action movie or a hidden gem that’s as fresh as cookies coming out of the oven, what are your movie traditions when it comes to Christmas?

Thanks 

Nick

40 Replies 40
Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Can't disagree there, it's just the best and the soundtrack does wonders! @Bronwyn38 @Katie 

Bronwyn38
Level 10
Wandandian, Australia

another excellent soundtrack @Nick  (and again, featuring the wonderful Bill Nighy): The Boat that Rocked, not especially Christmassy, but fab soundtrack!

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Nick  We always watch, at least once, sometimes more than once It's a Wonderful Life and Miracle on 34th Street [original].  We also always had a tradition of going out to the movies on Christmas night, but that won't be happening this year. 

Katie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

I'm really keen to watch the classics this year @Mark116, as I've never really watched them before. I think these are meant to be the ultimates, right? 

Do you normally go and see a Christmas film on Xmas Eve or stick to whatever has just been released?

@Katie  They're both wonderful, but I'm a fan of classic  movies.  You might be surprised though in some ways they are more modern than you might expect.  34th street's Maureen O'Hara is a divorced single mom working at Macy's, which was a little racy for the 40s.  Jimmy Stewart's depression and his reactions in Wonderful Life are also pretty modern.  Of course they also reflect their times.

We always went out to see a first run film on Christmas night.  So, presents, dinner, and then a movie....way back in the Stone age of my teens and early 20s that was sometimes followed by going out to the 24 hour diner after dropping off the family:)

Katie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

They sound awesome - gonna try and watch them and see for myself 😊

That's a great tradition, I don't think cinemas are even open on Christmas Day usually here in the UK. Love the trip to the diner too, seems like the perfect American Christmas 

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

It's been years I've watched the classics so this is a brilliant idea @Katie @Mark116 

Ria16
Level 10
Northland, New Zealand

KiaOra @Nick @et al, 

Im agreeing and nodding my head with a lot of those firm favourites 👍🏽
Working right through the season here but should be home by about 4pm for a small barbie with a few friends. ( we have long awaited blissful rain here right now so that could change for an under shelter gathering) We are so yellow!  Today I’m making the Pav .
 Then definitely a snuggle down with the mister & the hounds for Love Actually and Four Weddings with hopefully my chocolate almonds 🙂 

Meri Kirihimete wishing you a safe holiday season and a wonderful New Year.

❤️

Bronwyn38
Level 10
Wandandian, Australia

I like your thinking @Ria16 !!! Great combo!

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Wishing you all the best for the new year @Ria16 

(4 weddings should be revisited, haven't seen it for ages) 

Miloud0
Level 10
Rabat, Morocco

Salute, 

Thank you so much @Nick for sharing with us this interesting topic  

Happy Christmas 

Thanks, 

Miloud