Improving price transparency for guests

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Improving price transparency for guests

image1.png

Today, CEO Brian Chesky announced that we’re updating how prices are displayed to guests in Airbnb search results. Our goal is to maximize price transparency in places like the U.S., where showing nightly prices (before fees) is currently the travel industry standard.

Guests who currently find nightly prices in search results will be able to switch to showing the total prices. The total price includes the price per night, Airbnb service fee, and any Host fees for cleaning, pets, or extra guests. 

We’re making this change, along with a few others, to help you stay competitive and meet guest expectations. Get the details on the Resource Center. 

Displaying total price and simplifying checkout

What’s your strategy: Build your cleaning costs into your nightly price, or charge a separate cleaning fee?

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

109 Replies 109
Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

That's right @Gillian166 - there's a number of countries which already have the total price display.

Guests in these countries are already shown total prices in Airbnb search results: Australia, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Canada, China, Croatia, Cyprus, Czechia, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Great Britain, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Korea, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, and Switzerland.

Jenny

-----

Laurelle , how do you save a fee , that you do not charge for your tax? H

@Helen744 Unfortunately, I am not saving the host fee. I do not pass this fee onto the guest as I use the Slit-fee and I pay the 3% host fee.

For tax, it is counted as an expenditure that I have paid out along with insurance, rates, calculated number of nights guests stay for water and electricity as we have shared property.

The accountant has been doing this for tax the past 2 years and no questions asked.

It is almost impossible to talk about tax in plain english Laurelle and every country is different.   Also these pages are not for talking about tax. Charging a cleaning fee has nothing to do with tax it is just a choice you can make. H

Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

"new" pricing tools
- preview total price

- weekly/monthly discounts

- smart pricing.

ok the first one might be "new", but the other two are not new tools. Why do they do this? Why do they pretend they are giving us something new when they aren't? 

All i'm really seeing, reading between the lines, is a lot of fluff and then slotted into it is the message: drop your prices.  

I'm glad to see the issue of Checkout Chores is addressed, and it's great news that the checkout insturctions will now be viewable before a guest books.  As a guest I appreciate this!

why doesn't Airbnb drop its "service" fee instead? All Airbnb is doing is trying to trick the owners into doing more for less (and even absorbing the cleaning fee). Won't fly with larger houses. Airbnb needs to decide: are they a space-sharing platform (i.e rent a couch, spare room, or a small apartment while the host is away that competes with hotel rooms) -OR- are they a full-fledged vacation rental whole home platform? Because what is applicable to the former (no cleaning expectations in a shared space) is totally no go with large whole house rentals in traditional vacation destinations. As usual, Air is trying once size fits all totalitarian approach. 

Emilie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Victoria-And-Todd0

The service fee helps Airbnb run smoothly and covers the cost of services like AirCover for Hosts and 24/7 customer support. The service fee is a percentage of the Host’s total price. When you raise or lower your price, the service fee changes with it.

I appreciate the feedback and you sharing your concerns though, and wanted to let you know we've relayed them to the team!

Emilie

-----

Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center/ Please follow the Community Guidelines

Exactly, airbnb wants hosts to drop their prices, while airbnb stil gets their 14%.  What I don't understand is how airbnb thinks that cleaning people should be paid less when gas, wages and supply costs are at an all time high because of inflation?

Scott57
Level 5
Portland, OR

I would like to see them also include the taxes in the price. In Portland, Oregon, guests have to pay an additional hospitality tax and city tax which can add a lot to the total cost (we don't have sales tax). But it does not seem like you see these until after you book. I've had guests complain that the final price was not what they thought it would be. Why can't the guest see these additional charges until AFTER they book? I actually do not charge a cleaning fee because I know that these additional charges will surprise some people and hope that the absence of a cleaning fee will help ameliorate that. 

Portland is not the only location. Sonoma County, CA attempted it just a few weeks ago. While push pack was hard by owners/hosts, they have not given up...just delayed the inevitable.

Same here.  I have received lower review scores on value because the guest was shocked by the total price after airbnb fees and taxes.   Those fees have nothing to do with me as a host and have to explain that all hosts receive is nightly rate minus airbnb host fee, cleaning fee is paid to my cleaning/maintenance company. 

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Marie7084 

I just wanted to let you know that my response above might be helpful for you. 

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us.

Jenny

-----

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Scott57 

I just wanted to confirm that while we've taken a note of your feedback and understand what you're saying, prices in the US are typically displayed pre-tax, across multiple industries.

It might be worth starting a new discussion to see how other hosts in the US make sure that guests are aware of that, to see if they have any advice to mitigate guest complaints.

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.

Jenny

-----

Thanks for your response. I am still a little confused when you say that across multiple industries, prices are displayed pre-tax. If I go to reserve a car, the taxes are shown. If I go to reserve a flight, landing fees and taxes are shown. In any hotel, car or flight example, I am always shown the full prices before I press the Reserve/Submit/Accept button. For Airbnb in Portland, I think that you currently do not see the hospitality tax and city tax until AFTER you press the RESERVE button. So, when you say "multiple industries," can you provide examples to which you are referring so that I can better understand? Thanks!

I think the idea is that buyers prefer that the total price be displayed as soon as possible after pressing Search, rather than right before they make a commitment, which could be several screens later.

For instance, when I go to the Marriott website and look for a room for tonight in SFO, I’m shown the price of $131 once I select the room type. However, when I select it, the next page shows $148.73, which is the room + the tax. Guests are preferring to see $148.73 on the previous page. To me, it’s a minor point (maybe because I’m so used to seeing the tax added at the very end) but the current generation of consumers are getting quite up-in-arms about this as of late.

I think that some industries have been similarly browbeaten about this and have responded. For instance, when I go to rent a car from Hertz, or to book a flight on Southwest Airlines, I see the total, including taxes, immediately in the search results. Rental cars in particular used to be really bad about this, with the total on the last page being sometimes close to triple what was shown on the first page, once taxes and fees were added.

The current generation of consumers has spoken, and companies are starting to listen. There are still many websites that don’t show the total after tax price until the very end. I expect they will hop on board soon enough.