Test your knowledge about carbon monoxide safety

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Test your knowledge about carbon monoxide safety

AirbnbCarbonMonoxideSafety.png

Carbon monoxide exposure can cause deadly poisoning, but it’s preventable,  according to experts at the International Association of Fire Chiefs. Test your knowledge about these common carbon monoxide myths, and take steps to reduce risks in your space.

 

Myth: Carbon monoxide and carbon dioxide are the same thing.

Fact: Carbon monoxide, or CO, is an odorless, poisonous gas that can kill people and animals when it builds up inside a home. Carbon dioxide, or CO2, is a natural gas that’s relatively harmless in small quantities, such as the bubbles in carbonated beverages.

 

Myth: All gas has a smell, so it’s easy to tell when there’s a carbon monoxide leak. 

Fact: Carbon monoxide is odorless and impossible to detect without an alarm.

 

Myth: I have all electric appliances, so I don’t have to worry about carbon monoxide.

Fact: Although electric appliances do not emit carbon monoxide, CO fumes could seep into your home if you use a backup generator or have an attached garage.

 

Myth: My place has a lot of windows and open air, so I don’t need to worry about carbon monoxide.

Fact: Drafty homes can still build up unsafe levels of carbon monoxide from outside sources.

 

Understanding the risks of carbon monoxide exposure and installing alarms on each floor of your home can help detect the presence of CO. Airbnb will cover the cost of your first carbon monoxide alarm if you have an active listing. Find out more on the Resource Center.

 

If you’ve already installed a CO alarm, did you update the safety information in your listing? What other safety features do you have at your place?

-----

 

Please follow the Community Guidelines

21 Replies 21
Roberto2387
Level 3
Molfetta, Italy

Indeed, a CO (carbon monoxide) detector, smoke alarms, and ABC fire extinguishers are essential safety items for any home. These devices can help protect you and your guests in case of emergencies, providing early warnings for potential hazards like carbon monoxide leaks or fires, and enabling you to take appropriate action. It's crucial to have them in place to ensure a safe environment for everyone☺️

Roberto