3rd party bookings

Ryan749
Level 3
New York, NY

3rd party bookings

I have been a super host for years and have an excellent review track from guests. Sadly after years of hosting I’ve taken down all my properties and until what was promised is fixed I can’t in good faith confuse hosting on Airbnb due to the following situation.

On 8/21 a guest who had booked my nyc apt for a month informed me that they had no intention of staying in my home. That it was for their parents. A third party booking.

This was days before arrival. I had already booked a place to stay a rental car and many other expenses related to a long term stay in my home that were unrefundable.

The guest tried to say that oh I’ll stay there with one of the one of the guest but then wrote another message again asking for unregistered guest to stay in my home. His father. I live in a strict building that allows Airbnb but they do not allow for unregistered visitors or guests. I didn’t want to risk loosing my home and the guest apparently didn’t seem concerned with Airbnb policy of third party bookings or for my house rules. I didn’t feel safe. It was too late for me to cancel my reservations for relocating I was out a lot of money but was willing to accept only 50 percent of the booking to cover my losses for the last minute cancellation due to safety issues with my home. I should not be penalized for it. The case was closed on 8/21 with my offer to refund the guest 50 percent since that was what I needed to cover my lost relocation expenses. After it was closed another ambassador edited it and gave the guest a full refund. If you look at my correspondence with Airbnb regarding this it’s all documented. I called back on 8/22 and it was corrected again and I was even apologized to for the tainted trust from the experience. This was a done situation on 8/22. However Airbnb continued to remove funds from my payouts to refund the guest unconcerned for the fact this was not my fault it was a safety issue and it was agreed and closed that I got 50 percent payout for the last minute revelation of non guests in my home and the lack of concern for my building rules.

The withdrawal after 8/22 was never agreed to. It is wrong. I have tried numerous times to try to explain the situation to Airbnb thinking this would be corrected again to only be told by higher levels of support that it will not. It feels insane to me since this is all documented in messages. I should never have to go through this.  I suppose I could sue but I’m not gonna do that. I’m mostly sad it’s come to this unlisting all my properties on Airbnb but it’s out of principle. I can’t continue a working relationship with Airbnb if I’m not safe as a host and if Airbnb doesn’t honor what they say and do. I’m shocked and saddened by all this. I truly enjoyed sharing my special experiences with guests and they seem to have gotten so much out of what I provide but if Airbnb can’t make right what was promised and settled on 8/22 then I just don’t feel safe hosting on Airbnb anymore.

I hope this can still be corrected but I’m resolute in the facts of the case and my decision to not host anymore should it not be resolved.

It’s wrong. It’s shocking I’m very disappointed in how this has continued to play out especially after it reached a higher level to continue to be unheard.

A total loss of trust.

I do very much hope the right person reads this. Sees the safety issue. Sees the agreement reached on 8/22 and sees the mistake of revising the agreement. I lost over 1200 dollars for hosting a home I live in and having to relocate and by a guest breaking the rules and my needing to protect my living situation. I should not be penalized or expected to give a full refund. And that was agreed to on 8/22 and it was removed largely on 9/2 with the deduction from my payouts in the amount of $1369.99.

It’s sad it feels like that Airbnb is choosing $1369.99 over doing what is right, what was agreed to and loosing a long standing quality host as a result.

Sincerely,

Venus 

0 Replies 0