A suggested change to host controls. (Blocking guest)

A suggested change to host controls. (Blocking guest)

I have a suggestion for Airbnb in terms of host controls. I just got a booking for one person for NFL draft weekend. That’s probably going to be a rowdy weekend. Kansas City is hosting. The guest in their booking message said “we are coming for NFL weekend.”

I sent two messages asking for the correct guest count. One within minutes of the booking. The second 24 hours later saying I needed to comply with local laws. I asked for the correct guest count and the names of the guests that are coming to finalize the booking. Guest did not respond to either message. Has only one review.

So I reached out to Airbnb Customer Service and got someone on the line right away. The only option to block the guest after Airbnb cancels the reservation is to say the guest is being offensive. But that’s not true.

There should be a second option that says I don’t feel safe with this reservation. Or it should say, guest is refuses to comply with local laws or host rules.

That would be a simple fix to make in my opinion. 

However, kudos to Mary in customer service who sent me detailed instructions on how to block the guest from re-booking my space even if the reason for doing it is wrong.

5 Replies 5
Ricardo85
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

@Christine615 

Can you share the "detailed instructions on how to block the guest from re-booking".

Ricardo

Se você achou esta resposta útil não deixe de dar um "Like".

Meu Perfil.

Coloque "@Ricardo". Assim eu recebo uma notificação.

How do I report a message or block someone on Airbnb?

To report a message from someone or block any future communication from them:

1. Go to your Inbox and click the conversation with the person you want to block

2. Click the flag icon next to the message to report a user

3. You must select They're being offensive to block a user and follow the next few questions with the appropriate options

4. Describe the reason for blocking

5. Click Submit, then Block this person and OK

If you block someone, they won’t be able to send you messages, use Instant Book for your listings, send you a reservation request, or accept a reservation request from you.

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2020

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Christine615, your suggestions seem fair enough and can understand why there should be an option. I am making sure to share your suggestions with the team as well.

Meanwhile, please feel free to add your feedback for Airbnb directly via the Feedback Form too.

Can’t find what you’re searching for? start a conversation

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Thanks - I think having another option helps so that we don't "brand" someone as offensive when they may not be. "Offensive" should be reserved for real cases (like the guy who exposed himself to a fellow hosts - now that's offensive! sigh).

I just know this is going to be a rowdy weekend and a number of us are seeing a trend of guests booking for one person thinking that renting a place entitles them to bring lots of extra people. Or see the price is higher with more people and book for one person to game the system. I actually had a potential guest say "I thought, once I booked a place, I could do whatever I wanted with it, including inviting people to stay over."

I've learned a lot since those early days. I copied the verbage from the other host in Belize and will change my listing to make it clear - booking MUST include the accurate number of guests.

Thanks for the link!

This one @Christine615 ? >

>> Reservations: It is important that the reservation is indeed accurate as to the number of guests coming ~before~ arrival since it helps us plan for your stay." Now they are hysterical to mention every single person. 😉