Being charged full 15% guest fee instead of 3%

Brandon483
Level 1
Atlanta, GA

Being charged full 15% guest fee instead of 3%

I’ve been back and forth with Airbnb customer service for over a month now about this issue. I noticed in May that our payouts were much lower than before and realized we were being charged the full 15% guest service fee instead of 3% as it was set up to before. We contact Airbnb and they just keep saying it’s because we are a software connected hosts and have to be charged the full fee. Our cohost uses OwnerRez and their settings do not have it where we pay the full guest service fee. Only our listings are being impacted. ALL of their other listings on Airbnb are not having this issue. We disconnected everything and it went back to 3%. Reconnected OwnerRez and it went back to 15%. Airbnb has been unable to help. They simply keep restating the same thing “all software managed accounts pay the full 15%” and when we respond with the screenshot showing them their own policy which states “ This fee is mandatory for traditional hospitality listings - such as hotels, serviced apartments, etc., as well as software: connected Hosts (unless most of their listings are in the USA, Canada, the Bahamas, Mexico, …” We’ve even sent screenshots of our listing’s reservation payout vs other ones from our cohost. 

All of our cohosts listings are US-based and “most” of ours are in the US with two in Costa Rica.

No explanation from Airbnb… 

Then they close the case overnight (between midnight and 5 am) after hours of no response during normal hours and say they’ve turned it over to tech support and have no timeline for when we will have a resolution. In the meantime, we have to keep requesting refunds for the 12% difference. 

Has anyone had this issue before and was able  to figure out how to resolve it? I’m trying not to give up on Airbnb but their customer service is a black hole and we don’t want to start a new listing when the current ones have 5 star reviews and are a guest favorite. 

1 Reply 1

Hi @Brandon483 

You are right that Airbnb automatically switches Hosts that are software-connected to the Host only fee instead of the split fee when most of your listings are not in the US (and several other countries). When I looked at your profile, it looks like you have 6 listings? 3 are US-based and 3 are in Costa Rica? Airbnb must consider that you don't have most of your listings in the US if they are evenly split (3 in US, 3 in Costa Rica). Just guessing this is the issue. In order to have most of your listings in the US, Airbnb probably requires you to have at least one more listing in the US than in Costa Rica? Just guessing here.