Booked/confirmed Airbnb room for 3 guests, but host wants me to book 2nd room

Answered!
Der6993
Level 1
Tallinn, Estonia

Booked/confirmed Airbnb room for 3 guests, but host wants me to book 2nd room

Hello, 

So I booked a room Airbnb as I searched for 3 guest accommodation and was confirmed by host. It was last minute booking and I was not reading all details, but then I was told by host to book a 2nd room as each room accommodates only 2 guests or cancel my booking. To be fair the details were layout in the description but I overlooked that. Yes, I could have canceled and gotten a full refund according to the host, but I begrudgingly booked a 2nd room as we were odd number and arriving tomorrow. 
But is this a quirk in the Airbnb booking system ? or just scam manipulation by the host? or both as a host wants to allows the system to display a place for 3 or more guests, but then details that they must book separate rooms for every 2 guests?

Or is this fair game?
I feel this is quite manipulative and deceptive that an Airbnb search displays for a "3 guest search" and then the reservation goes thru and gets confirm by the host, but then the details of the booking as outlined by the host says each room is only good for 2 guests and you need a 2nd room. 

1 Best Answer
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Der6993 The host has set their listing up incorrectly. To do what they want without deceiving people they should have

Listing 1 - 1 bedroom

Listing 2 - 1 bedroom

Listing 3 - 2 bedrooms

Then they should link the calendars of listings 1 and 2 to Listing 3.

I suggest you message the host with the above information and suggest they change their listings.

It might be an honest mistake but if they don't respond to the above then it would appear they are intentionally trying to deceive.

View Best Answer in original post

4 Replies 4
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Der6993 The host has set their listing up incorrectly. To do what they want without deceiving people they should have

Listing 1 - 1 bedroom

Listing 2 - 1 bedroom

Listing 3 - 2 bedrooms

Then they should link the calendars of listings 1 and 2 to Listing 3.

I suggest you message the host with the above information and suggest they change their listings.

It might be an honest mistake but if they don't respond to the above then it would appear they are intentionally trying to deceive.

@Mike-And-Jane0  Based on the number of new (and old) hosts who ask "obvious" questions about how to list multiple rooms, I would err on the side of "ignorance" rather than deception -- AirBnB does not make the process all that transparent, especially for those working from a phone app.

Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@Der6993 Not sure how that works Der, did you Instant book ? It sounds like the host does not have two separate listings which they need to have to rent two separate rooms. It would only show up for three people if the listing was two rooms, and one was only one I suspect , so maybe you saw one and booked the other ? Not sure but have a closer look ... H

Sangeeta8
Level 9
New Delhi, India

I haven't seen the listing. Maybe it's very tight if another 2 guests stay in the second room.

Is there a folding/ rollaway bed or futon in your designated room?

Give the host the benefit of doubt and next time read everything through.