Can I host specific groups in my home? Writers, artists, etc?

Maryann249
Level 1
New York, NY

Can I host specific groups in my home? Writers, artists, etc?

I want to airbnb a room in my home to particular niches only - like artists, techies, etc. Is that possible? Like rent this room to writers only? Can I say that in a listing? Any examples of hosts that host specific groups?

3 Replies 3
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

No you can't do that @Maryann249  one of the major tenants of Airbnb is that it is not discriminatory and open to all.

You can describe in your listing the sort of guests your place is particularly suitable for.

However there is nothing to stop you setting up your own marketing channels and marketing your place as a writers retreat if you feel there are particularly amenities in your home/area that make it particularly relevant to writers.

Here in the states that would not be considered "discrimination." She's not targeting a specific class of people (for instance she can't say "white people only," or "gay people only," "no disabled people," etc. )

I can't see why she wouldn't be able to say, open to writers and artists.  It might cut down on her revenue, but it's not discriminatory. Curious what Airbnb has to say about this.

I think the unique thing about Airbnb is that we aren't supposed to be hotel equivalents. Eclectic is a selling point.

Maybe it's a marketing opportunity for Airbnb. A category that says "perfect for writers and artists," etc.

I would think so. I want to offer a curated experience to a particular group and host them over their stay. There’s Airbnb experiences but no experience opps with an Airbnb host. Well if you see Airbnb launch this in the near future u know it started here!