Can I lock a room?

Sander150
Level 1
Oslo, Norway

Can I lock a room?

Hi,

I am renting out an apartment with two bedrooms that can fit three guests in total. One of the bed rooms has a larger bed that fits two people, and the other one a smaller bed that fit one person. I have set a fee for extra guests (more than one) per night. 

My question: If there is only one guest, or two guests planning to sleep in the same bed that is booking my listing, is it okay to lock the other bed room?

I have had multiple guests showing up for reservations for one person,  and not seeming to be aware that the price is different depending on the number of guests..

3 Replies 3
Shelley159
Top Contributor
Stellenbosch, South Africa

Hi @Sander150 

I understand your frustration - you're trying to match the use of the space with the booking, but I think you'll risk making guests unhappy if you lock a room that is shown in the listing. Guests can specifically search for listings with 2 bedrooms. When they book such a place, they expect that both bedrooms will be available.

The way I understand it, you price your listing per guest, and some guests book for just one person and end up being more. This can sometimes be innocent: they do a quick search with the default setting of one guest and end up booking before adjusting the number of guests. Whenever I see a booking for 1 guest, I ask whether this is correct (even though I charge per unit, I still need to set things up for the correct number of persons). You can consider also asking this question at the time of booking and doing a "change reservation" request if they say they will be more (which will then adjust your price). Some hosts use external cameras to monitor the number of guests, although this still leaves you with the problem of having to judge whether visitors stayed overnight, and having to decide what to do about it. Alternatively, you can change to a per-unit charge (which has the disadvantage that your place may be expensive for single guests).

In any listing with more than one bed, a host may sometimes wish they could "protect" the unnecessary bed(s) from being used by a small group. However, it's probably best to avoid locking a room that guests may expect to use.

@Sander150 

I agree with @Shelley159 . If your listing shows 2 bedrooms, then whether there is one guest or three guests, they expect to see (and have access to the entire place). Additionally, since you have an extra guest fee, Hosts have found guests will simply state one guest and then show up with 3 to avoid the extra guest fees.

Listing Multiple Rooms

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/289

Some Hosts create 3 different listings for one property and offer different prices (no addl guest fees) based on the number of bedrooms. Be sure to only show photos of what is available to the guests if you do this and clearly state that for the "Child" listings, only the specific bedroom is available during the stay. You'll need to properly link the calendars to prevent double bookings. Keep in mind that only reservations will block the other listings. If you want to use the property yourself, you'll have to manually block dates on all 3 listings:

Parent (both bedrooms)

Child A - Bedroom one

Child B - Bedroom two

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Sander150 I am 100% in agreement that @Joan2709 's solution is the way to go. Only things I would add are

1) Make sure locking one room doesn't alter any fire evacuation routes and

2) Recognise that with linked calendars blocking one doesn't block the others - Only bookings do this. This is actually a great feature as you could block the smaller listings in high seasons to force guests to rent both rooms.

3) Switch on pro tools from your account to get the multi calendar which makes looking after three listings a breeze.