Announcements

Winter Release Q&A with Airbnb’s Christy Schrader

Winter Release Q&A session

Charging an Optional Fee for breakfast

Answered!

Charging an Optional Fee for breakfast

Hello!

We recently started managing a hotel that previously served breakfast on trays in each room. Since taking over, we have been providing guests with vouchers for a free breakfast at a nearby bakery.

Now, we are considering making breakfast optional, allowing guests to choose whether to pay an additional fee for it. Is there an option for this on Airbnb?

Top Answer

Hi ESM Rental,

Airbnb does not currently have a direct option to charge an additional fee specifically for breakfast as an add-on feature. However, you can handle this in a couple of ways:

Adjust Your Pricing: You could list the breakfast cost as part of your nightly rate, offering it as an inclusive option. Alternatively, in your listing description or house rules, you could state that breakfast is available for an additional fee and provide details on how guests can opt-in after booking.

Use Airbnb's Special Offers or Request Money: After guests have booked, you can send a "special offer" or a "request for money" through the Airbnb platform to charge them for breakfast. This would be more manual but can be an effective way to offer the optional breakfast service.

Be sure to clearly communicate the breakfast options and fees in your listing description so guests know what to expect before booking.

I hope this helps.

All the best,

Upfish Management

View Top Answer in original post

4 Replies 4
Shelley159
Top Contributor
Stellenbosch, South Africa

@ESM-Rental0 

Once a booking has been made, you can use the request money button if the guest has indicated that they want breakfast.

Zheng49
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

The voucher for a free breakfast seems a much better deal to me, than having to pay for breakfast. I mean, from the point of view of a potential customer. 

Hi ESM Rental,

Airbnb does not currently have a direct option to charge an additional fee specifically for breakfast as an add-on feature. However, you can handle this in a couple of ways:

Adjust Your Pricing: You could list the breakfast cost as part of your nightly rate, offering it as an inclusive option. Alternatively, in your listing description or house rules, you could state that breakfast is available for an additional fee and provide details on how guests can opt-in after booking.

Use Airbnb's Special Offers or Request Money: After guests have booked, you can send a "special offer" or a "request for money" through the Airbnb platform to charge them for breakfast. This would be more manual but can be an effective way to offer the optional breakfast service.

Be sure to clearly communicate the breakfast options and fees in your listing description so guests know what to expect before booking.

I hope this helps.

All the best,

Upfish Management

Rebecca
Community Manager
Community Manager
Suffolk Coastal District, United Kingdom

Hey @Alicia753

I'm tagging @ESM-Rental0 here to ensure they see your reply. 🤗

Quick reminder: if you type "@" and then the username, this will tag the member that you're replying to. I hope this helps to keep the conversation flowing! 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines