Confused about my listing

Answered!

Confused about my listing

I have been an airbnb traveller but finally just listed my home n Kenya> Excited and confused! It state in green that I am 'listed', but when I search my location it doesn't appear.

1 Best Answer
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Naima58  Don't worry, it takes about 24 hours for a listing to go live after you have submitted it.

Once it goes live, go back through it in Edit mode and check all your settings to make sure they are all correct and the way you want them. There are some things you can't edit until after the listing is published.

View Best Answer in original post

4 Replies 4
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Naima58  Don't worry, it takes about 24 hours for a listing to go live after you have submitted it.

Once it goes live, go back through it in Edit mode and check all your settings to make sure they are all correct and the way you want them. There are some things you can't edit until after the listing is published.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Naima58  P.S. I love your place. The basic construction is so similar to homes here in Mexico, it's rather uncanny. 

One thing that isn't clear to me from your description. You say that Justin is available to cook, clean , shop for guests, etc. But is this all free service or are there extra charges for these things?

@Sarah977 Also have some confusion about the way to price it. There were only 2 options and I chose their recommended base fee which seems way too low. Justin comes free with the house. I will update that. Thanks so much for your feedback.

@Naima58  If by recommemded base fee you mean Airbnb's "price tips", pay no attention to those at all. They are insultingly, absurdly low and most hosts can and do easily charge far more than that, even double, no problem. 

What you have to understand is that the price tips are for Airbnb's benefit, not yours. The company doesn't care if you don't make any profit at all. They care about bookings coming in so they can collect their service fees, which is their primary source of income.

So check out what other Airbnbs in your area, which are similar in terms of size, maximum number of guests, amenities offered, etc, to arrive at what seems reasonable. And of course you have to keep track of your expenses. Don't race to the monetary bottom to try to attract guests. Value what you are offering- its really nice.

Perhaps it's how most rentals work in your area, but it's rather unusual in my experience, for an Airbnb to come with an employee who the guests can just ask to do anything they want. I think you should define what he does as part of the booking fee and have clearly stated charges for anything beyond that, or some guests might treat him like their personal servant and have him running around all day doing their bidding.