Critique my listing - Chioma in Calgary, Canada.

Chioma10
Level 2
Calgary, Canada

Critique my listing - Chioma in Calgary, Canada.

Just listed 3 private room and the whole house, I had booking the first week I listed but after that, I have not gotten anything.

Please help critque my listing

Link https://www.airbnb.ca/rooms/53869823?guests=1&adults=1&s=67&unique_share_id=1dc42d1d-a310-48cb-996f-...

Kitchen a.jpg

3 Replies 3
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Chioma10  I have a hard time understanding your listings. It all appears to be the same house, so if a guest rents a private room, who are they sharing the house with? Other guests, or you, the host? The living situation needs to be made clear in your listing description. 

And if you live there, you planning to move out if you get an entire house booking?

The place looks quite stark and empty, the bedrooms look barren. Some throw rugs on the floors, and such, would help cozy the place up.  Do the bedrooms have dressers, a chair, a desk? A closet? All I see is a bed and a nightstand. And if you are renting the whole house for 5 people, you need nightstands on both sides of the beds if there are two people sharing a bed. 

I don't see any dining table at all. Where are people supposed to eat? A couple of seats at the kitchen counter aren't adequate for an entire house listing for 5. And there appears to only be one 3 seater sofa as living room furniture. No chairs, no place for guests to spend the evening together.

Don't get me wrong, it's a nice house, and what you've done so far looks fine, it just doesn't seem to be fully set up to host a family of 5.

Chioma10
Level 2
Calgary, Canada

Thank you Sarah, I appreciate your response. Thank you so much. I will update as adviced.

@Chioma10 I agree with all of @Sarah977 's observations, and I look forward to seeing how your space evolves. The house has good bones and good light, but the overwhelming impression I get is that it's only about 20% complete as a furnished home. It might be suitable for guests who just need to crash near the airport on a layover, but those aren't profitable after you account for the cleaning.

50 Shades Of Grey was a popular book, but it is not the color scheme that radiates "cozy" vibes. If you want people to click on your listing and not feel totally depressed, you need to weave in some vibrant complementary colors. You've already got some cerulean going on there in the upholstery, which looks much better when complemented with fabrics and fixtures in emerald, chartreuse, or bronze. Plenty of other color combos can make a grey room pop:  flashes of carmine and snow white for a lively dining area, or accents of gold, mustard, and ivory for a touch of glamour. The right contrasts can make a grey-heavy room excitingly stylish, but without them it looks unbearably depressing, especially considering the Canadian winter.

Same goes for oddly placed furniture. I see a lonely sofa just facing a small window in one room, and a TV just hanging out next to a floor fan and no furniture in another. What's up with that?

Perhaps the best thing you can do is grab a partner or friend and spend a week living in this flat yourselves. As you go along, every time it occurs to you that something is missing or misplaced, update it with the necessary features. When it feels like the place you would most like to stay if you were the guest, that will be the time to turn the Airbnb listing back on.