Critique my listing - Paul in Scarborough, Maine

Paul11254
Level 1
Scarborough, ME

Critique my listing - Paul in Scarborough, Maine

Hi all! I would appreciate feedback on my new listing:

https://airbnb.com/h/maple-ridge

I can't seem to add a photo here in the Community Center editor without it giving me "invalid HTML" errors, sorry.

We have had long-term rentals in the past (e.g. year to year) but this is our first time renting on Airbnb. We have tried to make the listing comprehensive and attractive. A few concerns I have include: Did we include too many pictures? Is it sufficiently clear that the open concept space includes the living room, dining room, and kitchen areas — that these are not separate rooms? The rental is half of a larger building, and the other half is storage and my workshop that are off-limits to guests; should I mention this? And of course any other feedback, comments, guidance, do's and don'ts. 

Finally, someone in the area told us that in addition to Maine's 9% tax that Airbnb collects, I am supposed to collect 2% specifically for the town of Scarborough, but I can find little evidence of this online. Any locals here have experience with that?

Thanks in advance.

6 Replies 6
Andrea6232
Level 10
Bergamo, Italy

Ciao @Paul11254 , just one detail: you have a duplicate photo in your listing 😉

Andrea

https://airbnb.com/h/la-casa-sul-canale-con-piscina-jacuzzi-in-giardino

Kia272
Level 10
Takoma Park, MD

@Paul11254  You should use the captions for all of your pictures. It helps guests better understand your place. You can describe what's in the room and how the rooms relate to each other. 

Yes, the open concept is absolutely clear. 

The thing that concerns me is the "alcove" bedroom. If it doesn't have doors, it might not be considered a bedroom, so be absolutely clear (more than you have now) about that. 

I understand what it is because I read your listing. Guests don't read, and then they show up and feign ignorance, or ask for refunds based on what they perceive as mis-representation.  

You haven't mis-represented anything, but they will pull that card. 

No, not too many pics. You should mention that half the building is owner-access only. You should also mention that you may need to access things in your half of the building while guests are staying (if that's the case.)

Your space looks lovely, and I wish you great success. 

Thank you for your thoughtful response.

Paul11254
Level 1
Scarborough, ME

Thank you, everyone, for the responses thus far. A couple more questions:

We have said there is a TV in the space, but it is not pictured because we had to buy a new one after the last renters left. Should we take new photos that show the TV?

Also, there is no cable TV, only streaming over our high-speed internet. Is it sufficient to ask guests to use their own streaming login info? Or should we provide some basic services? I know Netflix and others now monitor the geolocation of logins to block account sharing.

Thanks in advance.

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Thank you for sharing your follow up questions @Paul11254 !

I'm also tagging @Kia272 @Andrea6232 to share your thank you note with them since they've shared helpful responses earlier. 🌻  It'll be interesting to see if Kia and Andrea have any recommendations for you based on the questions you've asked. 👀

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

@Paul11254 I send a check-in message to my guests prior to arrival. It contains info such as the access code,  where to park, how to find my property (especially in the dark), and other info not contained in the listing. 

I include a reminder that they should have their own streaming log-in information available, because I only have a Smart TV but no cable. Even if you did mention that in your listing, they've likely forgotten it in the interim. 

I also mention (for example) that it's a food desert up here, so I suggest shopping before they arrive to the area if they are planning on preparing meals instead of eating out. 

I have stored this information as a Quick Reply, so all I have to do is fill in a name and key code, and the rest of the info is there.

You may want to think about things you'd like to know as a guest prior to arriving at your property, and do the same. 

You may want to include a picture of the TV, because as I mentioned, guests don't read, and you'll likely get asked if you have a TV, even though it's listed in amenities.