Critique my listing - Susan, near Great Sacandaga Lake

Answered!

Critique my listing - Susan, near Great Sacandaga Lake

I would appreciate some feedback on why I am not seeing much traffic after the first listing.

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/720199897888887994?preview_for_ml=true&source_impression_id=p3_16781510...

hottub.jpg

1 Best Answer
Kia272
Level 10
Takoma Park, MD

@Susan4959  I took a brief look at your listing. You need some better photos, and I think you should work on the order of your photos. They seem pretty random. I would also remove the "sleeps 2" comment from your captions for the bedrooms. I'm not trying to be snarky, but I think we all know that a queen or full bed sleeps two. It just struck me as a little bit odd. The reason to rearrange and take better pics is that even with 59 pics, I have no idea what the layout or flow of the house is. There are also multiples of some pics, like the master bedroom. You definitely need better well-lit pictures. 

I also noticed that your description says nothing about the house, only the local attractions. The description is where you highlight what's great about your house, and why people might want to stay there. Describe where the bathrooms are relative to the bedrooms. 

You might also want to include a brief explanation of the other unit and the shared spaces, like the hot tub and gym. That's where you let guests know what the rules are relative to sharing the space, and what expectations are about sharing the space. If I rent your place, are two strangers going to suddenly join me and my husband in the hot tub? Are they going to play loud music in the other unit that might disturb us? 

Without describing every fork and spoon, let people know what's in the kitchen. A Keurig? A food processor? How many can sit at the dining room table? Do you supply wood for the fireplace? There seem to be a lot of unknowns. Also, think about who your demographic is and target those folks in your listing. Mention family friendly aspects of your listing if that's who you want to attract. Family room? Board games? A bedroom close to the master bedroom for little ones? Think about if YOU were coming to stay at your place, and what you'd like to know about it. I'd find a local listing that is well-established and that you like, and model your property description on that. I'm not saying to copy anything, I'm just suggesting that you mimic the things you like, but with details from your own property. 

Oh gosh- please! Fix your check-in and check-out times. it should be more like check-in after 4:00 and check-out before 11:00. Unless you've got a day between bookings, what you have now will not work. Even if you do have a day between bookings, you're basically giving guests and extra day with the way it's set up now. I definitely suggest changing this. 

Last but not least, your lack of bookings may have nothing to do with your property. The pandemic changed everything, and now folks are back to traveling internationally, or they're feeling the pinch from inflation and not traveling at all. Many hosts with properties that have been consistently booked are experiencing a lack of bookings as well. The travel industry is dynamic, and there are no guarantees. 

Contrary to what seems like excessive criticism, I'm actually trying to help you. I hope you take it that way. Best of luck, Kia

View Best Answer in original post

5 Replies 5
Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

Hi @Susan4959 

Thank you so much for posting your lovely listing!

I know you'll be keen to get some opinions, so I'm going to give @Laurelle3@Robin4, and @Helen3 a nudge and see if they wouldn't mind starting things off!

Jenny

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Thank you Jenny!

Greatly appreciated!

Kia272
Level 10
Takoma Park, MD

@Susan4959  I took a brief look at your listing. You need some better photos, and I think you should work on the order of your photos. They seem pretty random. I would also remove the "sleeps 2" comment from your captions for the bedrooms. I'm not trying to be snarky, but I think we all know that a queen or full bed sleeps two. It just struck me as a little bit odd. The reason to rearrange and take better pics is that even with 59 pics, I have no idea what the layout or flow of the house is. There are also multiples of some pics, like the master bedroom. You definitely need better well-lit pictures. 

I also noticed that your description says nothing about the house, only the local attractions. The description is where you highlight what's great about your house, and why people might want to stay there. Describe where the bathrooms are relative to the bedrooms. 

You might also want to include a brief explanation of the other unit and the shared spaces, like the hot tub and gym. That's where you let guests know what the rules are relative to sharing the space, and what expectations are about sharing the space. If I rent your place, are two strangers going to suddenly join me and my husband in the hot tub? Are they going to play loud music in the other unit that might disturb us? 

Without describing every fork and spoon, let people know what's in the kitchen. A Keurig? A food processor? How many can sit at the dining room table? Do you supply wood for the fireplace? There seem to be a lot of unknowns. Also, think about who your demographic is and target those folks in your listing. Mention family friendly aspects of your listing if that's who you want to attract. Family room? Board games? A bedroom close to the master bedroom for little ones? Think about if YOU were coming to stay at your place, and what you'd like to know about it. I'd find a local listing that is well-established and that you like, and model your property description on that. I'm not saying to copy anything, I'm just suggesting that you mimic the things you like, but with details from your own property. 

Oh gosh- please! Fix your check-in and check-out times. it should be more like check-in after 4:00 and check-out before 11:00. Unless you've got a day between bookings, what you have now will not work. Even if you do have a day between bookings, you're basically giving guests and extra day with the way it's set up now. I definitely suggest changing this. 

Last but not least, your lack of bookings may have nothing to do with your property. The pandemic changed everything, and now folks are back to traveling internationally, or they're feeling the pinch from inflation and not traveling at all. Many hosts with properties that have been consistently booked are experiencing a lack of bookings as well. The travel industry is dynamic, and there are no guarantees. 

Contrary to what seems like excessive criticism, I'm actually trying to help you. I hope you take it that way. Best of luck, Kia

Kia

I can't thank you enough for the feedback! I am working on it asap.

Sue

@Susan4959. I'm late to the feedback party but here goes. In addition to all Kia's excellent suggestions I'd be highlighting in your listing description the things your guest loved- especially the drive in garage (many hosts either make this a guest no access area or its difficult to use but in bad weather is a real plus!)  Re photos you need more close ups (I love your kitchen and fireplace so bring those into focus by moving to front 5 listings pics) and maybe cull total by 20%- lots of duplications. You can put extras in a guest book of detailed inclusions for those interested eg gym equipment.

Finally, 1 bathroom for 7 guests is a challenge (and may put larger group bookings off if your competition offers 2), especially when it appears to be combined with the laundry and has 3 doors- is one a closet?. I'd want to separate it out somehow, even if its a curtain railing from ceiling.

Just my 2 cents and hope it helps. All the best.