Critique my listing

Michael9261
Level 2
Cleveland, OH

Critique my listing

Hello, I'm a brand new host. My property is only mid-term, 1-12 months, furnished, includes everything. So far, I've had inquiries mainly from insurance companies, but also one couple wanting to rent for one month--but all from other sites. Is there a flaw in my listing, or is Airbnb just not the best place for mid-term rental marketing? 

Listing link: Home in Lyndhurst · ★New · 3 bedrooms · 3 beds · 2 baths

[Listing link modified by OCM]

9 Replies 9
Guy991
Top Contributor
Sintra, Portugal

Hello @Michael9261 ,

I have a few suggestions for you to consider:

1. Check other listings in Lyndhurst to see how similar Airbnb properties are furnished. In my opinion, you may need an additional layer of decoration to make the property more appealing. Right now, even with your lower prices, it’s still missing some of the amenities your neighbors are offering.
2. Consider changing the title. Airbnb titles are composed of two parts: what you manually enter and what Airbnb automatically generates. Much of your title (Lyndhurst, entire, home) is already covered by the system, so it’s a missed opportunity to use that space effectively. Look at other listings for inspiration on how to craft a more engaging title. 
also, consider removing the phrase ‘includes everything’ from your title, as ‘everything’ is too broad. It’s better to be specific about what is included to avoid any misunderstandings.
3. Since you have a 1-month minimum rental, I would keep the listing on Airbnb but also list it on other platforms. Additionally, don’t forget to sign a lease agreement with your tenants. Keep in mind that if a tenant leaves mid-booking on Airbnb, you’ll only be paid up to that month, and you can’t take a deposit.

Just food for thought. I hope some of these suggestions help you.

Wow, Guy, great tips. I did not know about needing a lease, but it makes sense. Decorations are in process, as is the balance of the furniture. I've been adding photos as I go.

Kenya61
Level 2
Chicago, IL

Hi, your place looks very nice,  clean, and uncluttered. However a few things stuck out to me including no bed in 1 of the bedrooms and no tvs.  I'd consider adding those. I also have my property listed to include both short and longer term rentals and I've only had inquiries about long term but no one has actually booked longer than a week. I'm not sure how often long term rentals are booked through Airbnb. Maybe you can contact customer service or Google to see the frequency. Also you may want to consider short term rentals as an option in the interim. Also once you have some positive reviews, bookings will increase. Best of luck.  Kenya

@Kenya61 @Michael9261 

Long term actually has to do with knowing is there a market and then attracting thar market.  

I do pretty much exclusively longer term only on Airbnb.

My market is primarily contract workers or visa workers.   Single Guests and usual stay is 3 to 6 months.  So my market wants just a bedroom but specific things in their bedroom.

Whole House rentals, you have  to decide is the market a multiple employee house, is you market a family moving into the area or I was talking to one Host who was near a major hospital treating cancer patients and family wanted to be near the hospital.

Identify your market, then identify the unique needs of your market that you can provide, a view is nice but not their primary concern.

Make sure that your listing is also promoted to realtors if transitional hosing, social workers at the nearby hospital if that market, or if employees renting figure out who determines the rental and how they find.

You have to identify your market.

Hi Michael! 

Your listing is off to a great start and the property has a lot of potential! Here are my recommendations for improvement: 

1) Utilize Chatgpt to help with organization and adding details within your listing description. You include many great value added descriptors of your property but I believe breaking it up instead of one paragraph will make it easier for the guest to digest. Also, if your target market is possibly travel nurses and you are highlighting the proximity to hospitals .. I would include more specifics (minutes away, miles away) each hospital/attraction is from your property. Feel free to take a peak at my listing for a simple format example. 

2) The more pictures, the better. Once you are done furnishing/decorating, I would highly recommend professional pictures. The more pictures you add, the more time people spend looking at your listing - which the algorithm will favor. 

3) Adding more amenities, if possible, have the potential to add incredible value to your property. What makes your property stand out? Why would people book with you instead of another comparable property? I noticed you don’t include hot water, dryer, heating, and security cameras on property. Adding these elements could be huge in attracting more potential guests. 

4) Your first few booking are so vital. Make sure you provide exceptional communication and customer service. Going the extra mile and getting 5 star reviews will push you up in the Airbnb algorithm. 

Please feel free to reach out for clarification or with further questions. 

Best of luck,

Jennifer

Jaime794
Level 1
Navarre, FL

Michael!

For starters professional photos, if you can find someone who really knows what they are doing and have shot a few airbnbs they can even give you tips on ideas to stand out.

There isn't much decor in your unit, especially the area with the tile and wet bar, you can probably find some cheap good quality items at a thrift store. 

The unit looks solid for what it is, great place to rest their heads while they enjoy the area. 

Jamie1149
Level 1
San Diego, CA

Hi Michael, I noticed you only show that you have 9 amenities. There are dozens of amenities listed that you can choose from. Are you sure you have looked through them all? This is an easy way for people to see how prepped your home, especially your kitchen, is for midterm stays. 

A little staging would also help your photos. This allows people to imagine themselves in your space. Best of luck to you!

Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Hello @Michael9261 👋

Some fantastic new ideas have been shared by our hosts in this thread—it's really exciting!

We’d love to hear your thoughts on which suggestions you’re planning to implement 😊

Best regards,

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad

Jane4233
Level 1
McAllen, TX

@Michael9261 Looks like a charming house with loads of potential. Like others have commented, you need to add some decorative touches (including wall decor), especially some things that add a touch of color. I suggest that you spend at least two nights in your property so that you can realistically assess what is missing. TVs are a must especially for that length of stay. And of course, with the TV comes the requirement for a comfortable sitting area: sofa, tables, lamps, etc. Also, equip your kitchen with good cooking essentials: pots, pans, utensils, bakeware, glasses, small appliances such as a toaster, blender, and coffee maker (to name a few), etc. Again, for that length of stay you need to provide them with enough to cook at home (no one wants to eat out for months on end).  And you need to photograph it all so they know you have it. You need good quality linens (towels and sheets); a photo of them in the linen cabinet wouldn't hurt. A comfortable chair with a lamp (in case someone wants to read; not everyone reads from a device), and a desk for working at home are also must-haves.  IMO, any person staying for that length of time is going to want a place that really feels like home. My places are in Texas, 10 miles from the Mexican border, and we get a LOT of Mexican nationals staying for extended lengths, as well as "Winter Texans" coming for 1-3 months to get away from the northern cold--and they love our places because they are TRULY as comfortable as home; our guests lack for nothing. Check out local estate sales, garage sales and thrift stores to find the furniture and decorative things you need at great prices (except linens; they need to be purchased new). If you can find a theme you like (retro; MCM, contemporary, Asian, etc.), even better and more fun for the guest.  And keep in mind that, if whoever is booking is a couple, it is often the woman who makes the decision, so remember: women like the decorative, comfy touches! Again, I can't stress enough the importance of staying at your own place to see how comfortable it really is--and be honest with yourself. And have fun with it--furnish and decorate it as if you were going to be living there yourself! This is one of our properties,  which has a retro, rock-and-roll theme, so you can see what I mean (although you don't need to go quite this far, lol!): airbnb.com/h/happy-dayz-mcallen-condo