Double review, system glitch?

Arturo386
Level 1
Los Angeles, CA

Double review, system glitch?

Hey all, so a little bit of a story here.

I had a guest stay at my place, and love it, so they left a 5 star and said they’d be back.

A few weeks later, they book again and a few hours after check-in, they message me and let me know they actually won’t be able to make it since their car broke down and they knew they wouldn’t be able to get a refund. 

So they cancelled this second booking and lost out. However, about 3-4 hours later they message me again and ask if they can actually continue their cancelled reservation because they were able to get their car running again and had an interview the next morning and would be super appreciative.

It was my first time dealing with this situation so I looked it up, and found that AirBNB allows you to just make another booking for the guest that same night as long as both agree to the same terms. So I sent the guest a special offer for $10 so that they wouldn’t be double charged, and they could just rebook it and continue on like if the first one was never cancelled. Since they cancelled I was receiving the money from the first booking anyways.

So here’s where it gets a bit frustrating, so AirBNB emailed me and let me know they took down one of my reviews because they suspected it was someone whom I was close or related to and that if I continue to have “fake” people book my place and leave reviews that I could be banned essentially.

I looked into it and it turned out to be the guest who I rebooked for $10, and it probably flagged them because it was a booking for so cheap.

Anyways I reached out with further documentation and got the review reinstated, but a hefty warning again in the email saying I cannot have people related to me book my place. I was upset, I have zero connection to this returning guest. The fact was that I was trying to give this newer guest a great experience with Airbnb by helping them out rebook my place. I emailed back clarifying I have zero connection with them, and left it at that.

anyways, today, I get an email stating that the same guest left ANOTHER 5 star review.

Im assuming since they removed her review then reinstated it, it might’ve given them another opportunity to leave another review? Or I’m not sure if guests who cancel can still leave a review? To clarify:

1st booking, went great got 5 stars

2nd booking, cancelled then asked to rebook same night 

3rd booking, technically the same night but a new booking

now I have a third review from her cus she loved the place and service, but this definitely doesn’t help with Airbnb already being on me for thinking I’m breaking the rules?? I have enough 5 star reviews, i don’t know why AirBNB would think I’d fake one and risk throwing my whole account away for this?

im scared AirBNB will flag me again and do something even though this is out of my control. I messaged support, but has anyone else had something like this happen?

1 Reply 1
Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

Hi @Arturo386 

Were there any repercussions from the most recent review, or did it work out ok?

Let us know, if you can!

Jenny

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines