Green Host Incentives?

Green Host Incentives?

Good Morning All! I'm extremely excited to start hosting but there are a couple things I am in the process of doing before I begin booking. There are some great articles/videos on this site that provide ideas and suggestions to make homes more eco-friendly and sustainable, which I have done, but there is one more thing I want to do to make my home as green as possible....

SOLAR! I have a perfect roof for solar panels and I am told that I will be able to offset my non-renewable energy use by 100%. I think this will be perfect for guests who care about their carbon foot print and - well - it won't hurt my wallet in the long run either. Here in the U.S. I can claim a 26% incentive tax credit for the total cost of a solar project but even with that, it's a bit pricey. I'm probably looking at financing about 15k - which is fine but I want to know if there are any other incentives before locking in that price. 

Has anyone gone solar for their Air BnB home and if so, do you know if Air BnB has any type of incentive? I wouldn't even know what it would be but curious nonetheless. Also - do any hosts have any advice before going solar? The pros and cons? Is it worth it financially?

My home is also coastal and it's not uncommon to lose power so I was thinking about getting a Solar Battery Storage unit for back up power, rather than having a loud, gas guzzling generator. 

I look forward to any replies. Thanks! 

3 Replies 3
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Why would Airbnb subsidise the cost of you making an improvement to your property.  See it as a longer term investment to reduce bills and add value @Jack2005 

Frances90
Level 2
Milwaukee, WI

Following, I’m in the same position. Perhaps Airbnb could offer a filter in the search for eco-friendly homes. That would be an incentive. I’m also in the position to put in an EV charger. Pair that with the solar!

@Jack2005   Incentives from Airbnb? Nope.

@Frances90   Airbnb actually does have a search filter for homes with EV chargers. That makes sense, as for EV users it really does affect where they're able to stay. But I don't think a listing service with 6 million properties is in any position to advertise some of them as more "eco-friendly" or "green" than others.

I would like for listing platforms like Airbnb to build public transit access and walkability scores into the search formula, wherever possible. My thinking there is that guests who actually care about the carbon footprint of their vacations will have to think more about how they're getting there than where their rental's electricity comes from. If I'm already flying or driving to the destination, I can hardly expect a halo for having solar at the AIrbnb.