Host claiming damages!

Mandy406
Level 1
Oakville, Canada

Host claiming damages!

We recently stayed in an Air BnB for 4 days.  Prior to arrival and during our stay the host was very accommodating and responsive within minutes to all emails.  FIVE (5) days post our vacating the property he now claims that we left the place in a mess.  He claims there was coffee spilt all down the cabinets - we don't even drink coffee and I had put the coffee maker away in a cupboard.  He said he had to pay the cleaning lady extra to clean up the mess.  He claims there were crumbs on the floor.  IF there were crumbs - they were very minimal and surely it's the cleaning company's job to vacuum before the next guest arrive.  I also did not see a broom in the apartment at all.  Considering we paid a $350 cleaning fee for an apartment that was no bigger than 800 sq ft, I think this is totally ludicrous.    I had washed all the dishes packed them away, wiped down all the counters, tied up the garbage before we left.  We declined to pay the extra $100 dollars and now today he has filed for $200.00 for damages that he claims were found on Wednesday - when is fact we checked out on a Thursday.  So IF he had issues why does he not have photographs to back up his false claims.  I am beyond devastated.  We have stayed in many Air BnB's before and have never been so humiliated by a host with false accusations.  What recourse do I have?  One thing I have learnt and I hope others will take away from this is - take photos of everything - upon arrival and prior to your departure!  

8 Replies 8
Louise1073
Level 6
San Diego, CA

What damage is he claiming for? 

It sounds like you made a good effort to tidy up after yourself. If you did not damage anything, then do not pay... AirBnB has insurance for this kind of thing.

Sorry you had a bad experience. Let us know how it ends up.

Hi there. Thanks @Louise1073 for responding.   He is claiming for a kettle and he wants $150 dollars.  I found the kettle on line and it is $20.  He sent a picture of the kettle with a few spots on it that a cloth would wipe off.  I wiped the counters down and did not see the “spots” on the kettle and if I did by some way miss this it was a simple wipe that would have cleaned it. Is that not what the cleaning fee isnsuooosed to cover?   How do I even know that this was my kettle he had other hosts in right after us and he is sending a picture 5 days later.  He “claims” the “damages” were found on the Wednesday and we didn’t even check out until the Thursday!   Also to charge $100 one day and because we declined to pay he upped it to $200 the next day.   This is on top of a $350 cleaning fee for a tiny one bedroom apartment.  This has caused me so much an anxiety as I know I left the place in an excellent condition as I always in the past and have and have reviews to say that!   Thanks again. 

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Mandy406 Did the host have previous reviews that suggested they might act this way? I agree with @Louise1073 that if you didn't damage anything then you shouldn't pay. Trying to charge for crumbs is just ridiculous. I don't agree that 'Airbnb has insurance for this kind of thing'. Insurance is not for specious/fraudulent claims.

Thanks Mike and Jane for responding.  The thing is I gave him a good review because as far as I was concerned the place was on a par with any Airbnb.  But he waited 5 days before putting any claims forward and I cannot go back and change my review and who knows if this is his tactic! Honestly it has just made me so weary to go to another Airbnb but I have learnt a serious lesson.  I will make sure I have photos of arrival and departure.  He has taken this to arbitration so we shall see what transpires.  I am just so hurt by this.  

@Mandy406 From your description this host sounds unhinged. Stand your ground and don't worry - I am sure common sense will prevail in the end

Kate867
Level 10
Canterbury, United Kingdom

@Mandy406   I am sorry this happened to you.  If you now regret leaving your good review for your host due to his actions after you wrote it, although you cannot edit it, as the ‘author’ you can ask to have it removed by Airbnb with no explanation required.

Kia272
Level 10
Takoma Park, MD

@Mandy406 I'm so sorry this happened to you. It sounds really dubious. 
I'm surprised that anyone would agree to a $350 cleaning fee for a 4 day stay in a one bedroom apartment. It appears that the host is perhaps trying to dodge taxes or something by charging such a large cleaning fee. What was the nightly rate for the place? 

You can actually report the listing if this seems like serial behavior from the host. You should read some past reviews and try to determine if this is a pattern of behavior. There's a report button at the bottom of every listing. 

The claim sounds ridiculous. Crumbs are not something to file a claim for. Cleaning up after guests is a cost of doing business, and that's what cleaning fees are for. Even a kettle (hard to ruin??) is not worth a claim. I don't know what this host is up to, but don't pay the claim and stand your ground. 

But I'd also say that even after this bad experience, please give hosts the benefit of the doubt. I believe this situation is the exception, not the norm. You said you'd had many good AirBnB stays in the past, so hopefully this is a one-off and you can continue to have good stays in the future. Kia

Louie62
Level 2
New Albany, IN

Oh wow, this pattern of scamming/fraud goes even further back in time then I thought!

I am seeing/hearing about more and more of them and I've only been researching <1 hour!