How do you make sure your property is secure?

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

How do you make sure your property is secure?

235567564.png

Hello everyone, 

As our world evolves and technology becomes more embedded in our lives, many of us use it to make our lives easier and safer.  

For example, from the click of a button, we're able to see whether our guests have checked in depending on which safety measures you use (e.g. smart lock). Perhaps, you might even already have received a notification on your phone informing you of this! 

In my neighbourhood, I've noticed the popularity of doorbell cameras. Surely, having such a device fitted will bring some form of safety and convenience, as some doorbell cameras enable you to communicate through them when you’re not at home! However, whilst having technology is great, I understand that sometimes technology can't always be applied to a home. 

What do you have in place to keep your home secure, and which tips would you share with fellow Hosts? 

I look forward to reading your comments.

Quincy 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

37 Replies 37
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Quincy For returning guests, very late arrivals or when guests leave we put the key under a flowerpot. Now, to increase security, we have more than 1 flowerpot so thieves have no chance of finding the key.

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

That's one way to do it @Mike-And-Jane0. Please be careful though!

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

@Mike-And-Jane0  🤣🤣🤣 i just loveeeee this humor

Groetjes Katja
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Katja202 No humour here - Its what we do!

@Mike-And-Jane0  I know, we do the same. But it was obvious Quincy meant technology things. But some times it is just good old good old what is good enough. And your reponse just read (to me) like a very funny response. 

Groetjes Katja
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Katja202 The technology of a flowerpot has been optimised over hundreds if not thousands of years. I guarantee they will outlive any smart locks.....

@Mike-And-Jane0  🤣🤣🤣

Groetjes Katja
Richard531
Level 10
California, United States

Smartlocks/ring cameras/deadbolted rear & side doors/locked windows/general security with friendly neighbors, etc. 

However, the most secure house is an occupied house.  For that reason, we never have a vacant day EVER at any listing ever, ever, ever.  Not a single vacant day, ever.  At any listing.  EVER.  

@Richard531 What happens when you just don't get a booking?

@Richard531 would love to hear more about your experience using Smart Locks. 

Why did you choose to get them? What do you love? hate? what would you improve? Any recommendations? 

Richard531
Level 10

@Nathan2727  There is only one Smart Lock we use.  And this is after using several different types and having problems with all of them (except this one)  You get this lock because it's awesome.  Love everything about it.  Nothing I would improve (unless a battery that lasts forever is a possible improvement).   

1. It looks great (straight lines, awesome color palate, 90 degree angles)
  2. Door lever is straight, not wavey and dated
  3. Buttons are water/dust proof and won't fail
  4. Multiple combinations, easy to change them out
  5. The lock/unlock mechanism is VERY low movement and so the battery lasts forever
  6. Battery beeps when it's getting tired and gives you a lot of warning before it quits
  7. Look at the bottom of the lever on the exterior (left image); see those 2 bumps?  Those are for a 9V battery (that we keep in the mailbox and anyone can obtain even if that gets lost).  This allows emergency access to the home is the battery dies

Hosts using "smart" locks with internet enabling or those ugly dated ones where there's a big motor that turns a massive deadbolt get themselves into trouble for multiple reasons.  Don't even get me started on hosts who puzzlingly use real estate agent lock boxes!  

smart lock.jpg

Interesting, thank you for the input! In terms of automation, are you integrating this lock with Airbnb? 

If so (of if not), what has been your experience like? How do you ultimately give guests access on a repeatable basis. 

Also, I am thinking about getting the Level lock? https://level.co/products/lock

Have you tried this lock before? 

Richard531
Level 10

There are 4 keys to never having a vacant day (in order of importance):

1. PRICED CORRECTLY
  2. The listing (must be absolutely spectacular with absolutely spectacular reviews to prove it)
  3. The market (must have relatively decent demand in the general area you're located)
  4. You must work hard and take being an Airbnb host seriously

Have those 4 things and you will be 99% occupied.  The last 1% can be the hardest (hammer down that price!).  But anyone can get to 100%.  

For the last 0.1%, we use it ourselves.  About once every quarter (and we're trying to do this more often as I try and be less obsessed about 100% occupancy), we will see an orphan day in the distance that we don't want to fight for.  We will block the day to use the property for an overnight visit (sometimes drag my dad along or my wife's family who live in the area).  We will also do a deeper clean on that day (and we'll discover 100 things that need to be corrected).  But the house is ALWAYS occupied

7 listings.  100% occupied, 100% of the time.

Screenshot 2022-06-06 at 12.14.51 PM.png

Debra300
Top Contributor
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Richard531,

That's a good list.  I need to add another item.  Those in the target market must have relatively easy access to getting to the location.  Without that the whole list is insignificant.

Don't just believe what I say, check the Airbnb Help Center