How do you make sure your property is secure?

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

How do you make sure your property is secure?

235567564.png

Hello everyone, 

As our world evolves and technology becomes more embedded in our lives, many of us use it to make our lives easier and safer.  

For example, from the click of a button, we're able to see whether our guests have checked in depending on which safety measures you use (e.g. smart lock). Perhaps, you might even already have received a notification on your phone informing you of this! 

In my neighbourhood, I've noticed the popularity of doorbell cameras. Surely, having such a device fitted will bring some form of safety and convenience, as some doorbell cameras enable you to communicate through them when you’re not at home! However, whilst having technology is great, I understand that sometimes technology can't always be applied to a home. 

What do you have in place to keep your home secure, and which tips would you share with fellow Hosts? 

I look forward to reading your comments.

Quincy 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

37 Replies 37
Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @John5097! How are you? Thanks for sharing your this 😃. I've always thought of also implementing a smart lock, but somehow I've been afraid of it being hacked in some way (I know this sounds near to impossible, but it's a fear I have). Perhaps, I have just watched too many movies where they easily crack smart locks!

-----

Hey @Quincy ! Always have to stay on top of things but everything is going great! Are you thinking of implementing a smart lock for your listing? If so I hope hosting is going well! 🙂 I've never had an issue, all 5 star on check in, so guest seem to like the smart lock as well. By the way I select not to get a notification when guest check in. No particular reason.

I've considered a floodlight camera for the driveway but so far no issues with neighbors or guest. I noticed most have the ability to communicate, which I wouldn't do, but suppose if I was a remote host, it would be a way for guest to contact host, if guest locked themselves out and their phone was inside. I'm not sure if there is a setting to get a notification of someone rings the doorbell? 

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Glad to hear all is well! 😃 Also, great to hear that you've not had any issues with the lock (let's hope it stays that way!). I was very close to getting one, but I had some security concerns (my fear of it being hacked). Though, having heard what you've said here has comforted me, so perhaps I might consider one in the future! @John5097  

-----

Katja202
Level 10
Ruinen, Netherlands

@Quincy  we have the same safety system as @Robin4 and @Mike-And-Jane0  works like a charme 😉

Groetjes Katja
Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hey @Katja202, you have a dog as well? 👀

-----

@Quincy  Yep it is a border collie, 2 years old and listens to the name Dozer as in bulldozer. Cause he really is a bulldozer 😀. He allways tells us with a loud voice some one is arriving. 

Katja202_0-1654830579783.jpeg

Groetjes Katja
Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

He's lovelyyyy @Katja202! I love how he high fives your feet ❤️. So many of us here have dogs! 

-----

Kimberly607
Level 2
New Berlin, WI

There's securing your house with smartlocks and doorbell/security cameras but there's also a need to secure those devices from hackers. 

We live far from our rental and need to use wifi enabled devices and had to boost our wifi to make it all work. We hired a company to boost our wifi and we were able install the devices and they keep our systems secured from being hacked by anyone. 

This is the company that helped us do it all:

**Link removed** - Community Center Guidelines]