How to make sure guests folllow the check in times?

How to make sure guests folllow the check in times?

Hello Airbnb Community,

I have my third stay where the guests want to check in really late. The first time was supposed to be around 9pm and ended up past 12 am which was a bad experience for me. And now I've bought a lockbox even though I didn't want to just to make sure I don't get stuck waiting around for guests. However, is there any other advice anyone has? Maybe I'm missing something but I did put in specific check in and check out times and added late fees to my house rules. As of now, it should be set to check in 4-6pm. Here is my listing link, airbnb.com/h/dekroon

Does anyone see any changes I should make? If so, please let me know. I'd really appreciate it. 

Kind regards,
Sonia

6 Replies 6

@Sonia1891 

Right now the listing link says your check in is 2-4pm not 4-6pm?

Several Hosts I work with have check-in windows like yours. Several things you can do:

1. Add your check-in window to the description or other details to note on the listing

2. When a guest books, add a paragraph to your Welcome Message about the check-in window

3. Add a paragraph to your Check-in message about the check-in window

4. Get a smart lock for self check-in. Manual keys will get lost or not returned by guests

"Please note our check-in window is between 4-6pm. If you know your approximate time of arrival, please let us know ."

@Joan2709 I use the Schlage app.  It gives my guests a code and notifies me when they check in and lock up.  It goes with the Airbnb app, which I love.  I also have a Ring doorbell.

Marilyn50
Level 2
Raleigh Hills, OR

My guests are able to check in any time.  I have a keyless lock and program the last four numbers of their listed phone number. That way there is no key to be lost or misplaced.

And they always know what code is.   Addition to above message.  Works great

A Smart lock for self check-in and sending the guest a lock code should solve your problem. If you want to personally greet and check people in, like I do, then you are at the mercy of the customer. If you and the customer agree on a check-in time and they don't show up on time (I have a 15-min. leeway rule) then just note it in your review or a note for other hosts to see.

Many times I have the opposite situation, people ask to check-in early and then don't show up on the agreed upon time. As I live on the premises it is usually not a problem unless I had something scheduled. If you want those great reviews you sometimes have to bend over backwards for people.

Marie8425
Top Contributor
Buckeye, AZ

@Sonia1891 

I think your check in time should be based on typical arrival times.  When I did a travel spot people flying in international flights were generally late arrivals.  Currently nI do mostly business travel driving in on Sunday.  My check in time is before 7 pm.  Before I accept a booking I remind them, mostly because my dogs like to bark hello and other guests have to get up early for work Monday.  I just say no if someone can't arrive by 7 come the next day stay at a hotel 1 night.