Announcements

Winter Release Q&A with Airbnb’s Christy Schrader

Winter Release Q&A session

Joshua tree homeless man harass guests

Joshua tree homeless man harass guests

Hello, this is my first post here. I manage a property in Joshua tree and there has been a homeless man coming into our property twice now. First time there was no one there, second time there was a guest and it terrified them, forcing them to leave before check out time. I have contacted the authorities both times and it seems like it’s not working. The property is located on **, we are considering building a gate but the idk about the efficiency of it since they can just flip over. I don’t know if other hosts around the area have experience similar problem. Please give me some advice I really don’t want to spend a tremendous amount in fencing in every corner of the property. 

IMG_2704.png

**[Sensitive information removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines]

3 Replies 3
Shelley159
Top Contributor
Stellenbosch, South Africa

Hi @Chengdong0 

One alternative to a wall or fence is to use perimeter beams that trigger an alarm. You can consider whether this is practical in your situation.

Marie8425
Top Contributor
Buckeye, AZ

@Chengdong0 

I am not saying not irritating to your business.  I am just speaking from experience.

Unless the mentally ill person is a danger to himself or someone else.  The police can only treat it has a trespassing complaint.  If he isn't on the property no they ill not look for a trespasser.  If he is on the property they have to respect his rights also.  They ask him to leave and don't do it again.

In this type of scenario, and I don't blame your guests I would be scared also.  Try reaching out to a church or charity that assists the mentally ill.  They have resources and experience creating solutions that work for the mentally challenged person.  Ideas we just don't think of maybe a gift of a pair of socks to the man might accomplish what an expensive fence doesn't.  Someone trained as to evaluate his situation

Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Hello @Chengdong0

Our hosts have shared some ideas on how to handle this situation. Do any of them seem suitable for your location?

Please keep us posted when you get a chance to review them.

Best regards,

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad