Kitchen access?

Kitchen access?

After careful consideration we decided not to include use of the kitchen for our listing, this is reflected in our listing price. Our listing also does not include the kitchen in the ammenities and states that the guests have access to the bedroom and bathroom. I am generally a flexible and easy going person. The problem is that out of my last 7 guests 4 have asked to use the kitchen or fridge. It is clearly becoming a very consistent issue and soon it will be 5 out of 9 guests. My last guest didn't ask to use the kitchen, they just used it, and whatever they ate had a very strong and lingering odor. I had one guest simply ask for ice for their lunchbox, which was completely fine. The problem is that people tend to assume that I am going to be ok with them using the kitchen once they arrive and I believe that when I say no it is hurting my feedback. I have a 4 star rating top to bottom from a guest when I initially started hosting, I was upset but you can't make everybody happy. All my other feedback has been 5 stars with the exception of one that rated me 5 stars on everything and 4 stars for overall experience(... how does that make sense?). My only reasoning is that this is due to the kitchen issue. Today I have added the following notation to my listing under guest access:

"Guest bedroom and bathroom. Please be mindful that we don't offer the use of the kitchen as a part of our listing. We do supply some water bottles in the room for your convenience."

Do you think it's worded delicately enough? Should I add it to my house rules as well? I feel like maybe my listing isn't clear enough, or people just don't take the time to read the listing. Should I just increase the price of my listing and include use of the kitchen? What are your suggestions and experiences? I have one more guest checking-in who assumed that the use of the kitchen was included and, unfortunately, I somehow missed responding quickly and decided to make a one time exception. 

I apologize for the long winded post. Here are the reasons we originally decided not to include access to the kitchen. Are we being unreasonable?:

1. We work from home and our kitchen, work area, and livingroom is open concept. We thought that having guests coming in and out of our work area to access the kitchen would be disruptive and possibly uncomfortable for all parties.

2. We used to have roommates that did not clean up after themselves, lost our kitchen utensils (Idk how they managed that) and damaged our pots, pans, and appliances. My listing is competatively priced without access to the kitchen. If I were to allow guests to use the kitchen I feel I would have to raise the price for the extra work I would do cleaning and to budget for possible damage to my appliances.

3. We have a small kitchen and we use it multiple times daily.

4. We felt like it like it would be a little invasive to have strangers helping themselves to our kitchen. We also read about some guests helping themselves to the host's food, which seemed odd, and we just didn't want to potentially deal with that.

5. There are plenty of restaurants and coffee shops nearby, within a one mile radius.

6. All the furniture and bedding is relatively new, purchased not more than 6 months ago. I would prefer if guests didn't eat or drink in the bedroom to prevent potential stains, damage to the furniture, and criters. We do think allowing access to the kitchen would probably increase the likelyhood of guests eating in their room. We thought a no food in the bedroom rule was being too strict and "nit picky" so I actually allow for them to eat in their room, I just prefer that they don't. I also provide bottles of water because they don't have kitchen access and we all need to stay hydrated. I ultimately want my guests to feel comfortable.

7. Our guests tend to be short term guests and feel that for that reason access to the kitchen was not necessary. Our listing limits stays to 2 weeks because we do not want to have a situation were a guest ends up over staying and then obtains renter's rights. It also allows us to host our friends and family, who mostly live out of state and visit often. While we have been extremely lucky and have only hosted overall wonderful guests so far, we also thought it would reduce the time period we would potentially have to deal with any negative guest/host experience.

8. We always keep the house tidy and clean. I have a 5 star cleanliness rating. The guest's bedroom and bathroom are always spotless. Our kitchen is our personal space and because we use it so often it would be difficult to keep it spotless all the time. I would feel obligated to clean it to a higher standard then currently suits me. (Ex. I don't mind keeping a dirty cup in the sink for a few hours until I clean up after dinner but never allow dishes to pile up. I also like to let my dishes air dry on a drying mat or allow a dirty dish to soak for 30 minutes to an hour, when necessary. I would not do any that if a guest were permitted to use the kitchen because  I think it would be rude on my part and when I had roommates they took that as an invitation for me to constantly clean up after them.)

102 Replies 102
Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

In hosting, it is helpful to always keep in mind that - 'Nothing Has to Be'. If constant problems arise from any feature or amenity then consider the not-so-outrageous option of eliminating it. When you think about it, nothing ~has~ to be, even if at one point you thought otherwise.

Teresa141
Level 2
Huntington Beach, CA

I’m glad I read your post. I just woke up at 9:30 pm because of the noise of kitchen pots and pans used by my guests. I don’t even cook past 7 pm! I too have had guests take advantage of the refrigerator and the food I keep in the fridge. I’m only in this house for four more months but my next house will have a curfew of 8 pm for the kitchen use and I’m going to put a mini fridge and microwave in their rooms so I don’t have to deal with me feeling like I can’t be in my own kitchen. I’m glad there’s a community for Airbnb hosts. I just found it after 4 years of hosting. I’ve learned that no matter what business you have, you can’t keep everyone happy. Thanks for your posting. 

Diana730
Level 2
Summerland, CA

I had a guest arrive today with almost 0 prior communication. The one message I did get from her was asking me for a discount which I did not give her. I sent her a message and reminded her to read everything about the room. The description clearly points out that there is no kitchen access.

I was on the phone when I noticed something going on in my kitchen. I walked in and she was cooking dinner and going through my things, turning on the antique teapot because she liked it. She asked me for a knife. I asked her what she was doing and she told me that she had driven all day and had not eaten and was making dinner. She got furious when I told her that she could not cook in my kitchen. She told me that there is an expectation of kitchen use. She asked me to cook her dinner in that case and was very aggressive. She kept insisting that it was my obligation to allow kitchen use and I told her she was welcome to cancel all three nights including the current one and I would refund all the money. We were on the phone with Airbnb for quite a while but she is gone and I couldn’t be happier even though I just lost three nights of rent.

I have the obligation of clearly presenting what my home offers. The guest has the obligation of completely reading the description and the House rules and thereby respecting my home and me as a host. I will not be put out because a guest did not fulfill her obligation. She was here just long enough to put something on the bed that stained the bedspread and went through to the blanket. 

Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

Hi@Diana

I would have been on speed dial to air bnb to have this guest removed and OUT of my house ASAP.

I would NOT have given this entitled guest more house room! 

Darcy36
Level 1
United States

I'm beat! We specify no kitchen access either, and usually folks stay one to two nights. Right now, we are hosting for balloon festival and folks came for five days, and ate all meals in as being on a budget. What we offer is an 8 cup pot of coffe in the morn with a biscuit--our prices are very reasonable and we hope lodgers will contribute to the greater economy of our impoverished city.

So even though not really cooking the in and out of the kitchen and using plates and utensils was quite overwhelming. Eventually took over half the counter space, and in the cry about poverty, claimed to not have a dishwasher and no willingness to use ours so just washing up all the time in the kitchen. The modest room had oil stains and food residue...

I just wish folks understood that in insisting on taking all meals in-in a dwelling not offering that-the hosts are left with a lot of clean-up, stress, and even extra expense as we live in the desert with 100. /month water bills.

When I told this lodger what we did offer-use of laundry, coffee, spacious/sunny backyard,they only asked about availability for cooking...we don't have a microwave and I don't think I want to get one. It is one of the few limits we have and about one in ten lodgers just can't accept it, and they tend to be the same ones that arrive hours b4 check-in with no heads-up...well, back to the laundry, mates.

Hi - I think it's horrible when people don't respect your limits. Since this has been your experience approx 10% of the time, I would take it that you have to clarify your limits, otherwise it will reoccur! I suggest saying "no use of the kitchen" and I would give them their own coffeemaker. People don't always read through the entire posting, in my experience. They see a few pictures and the price and make a reservation. I suggest stating a couple of your most important "boundaries" or "rules" if they make an inquiry or when you confirm and clarify that there is no use of a kitchen. Maybe put in parenthesis "no microwave, washing dishes, etc). Really spell it out! Your limits are your choice and, the minute they overstep, I would, nicely but firmly!!,  let them know. You can't control the annoying stains that you find afterwards, in the room, but you CAN keep them out of the kitchen. I provide a mini-fridge and microwave and that's fine. I have the luxury of them having a separate entrance and they are "locked out" of my personal space so it's easier for me but I still have to set limits with people sometimes. Pushy types tend not to pick up on subtle boundaries - you have to be really clear. Good luck! 

Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

Hi@Marylin

I Provide absolutely nothing for guests to self cater, cook, prepare snacks, store food in my home.

My kitchen is for my family use, end of.

Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

Hi@Darcy

Please Tighten up your house rules/ house manual.

I have a very strict set of house rules.

I do allow guests to take in takecaway already prepared food and I will supply cutlery and a plate and a glass in the kitchen dining area up until 21:00 hours.

All excess food to be quickly disposed of and binned in the dustbin outside, no food stored in my kitchen or fridge or the bedroom.

Guests can store their food in their car but not in my home.

Please look at my clear house rules and description as Ive had not problems since I posted them as they ARE crystal clear.

Ive had a couple of guests ask to use the kitchen and the reply is ALWAYS a resounding NO.

Daniel1992
Level 10
Downingtown, PA

I have to come from a different angle on this one: I MUST include kitchen access in my listing.  The reason is that if you want to use the bathroom, you must walk through the kitchen (unless you can phase through walls).

I do have it listed plainly in my listing that the guest is not allowed to consume my food or beverage in the house (except tap water).  Guests are expected to provide their own food.  So far, so good, and one guest even prepared a meal for me (I politely declined as my diet is restrictive).  I also provide use of all cooking utensils, one shelf in the fridge, and one shelf in the pantry.

Hi - If you don't want them to eat there, it seems confusing to provide kitchen utensils and fridge/pantry space and telling them to bring their own food. Allowing food prep but no eating is confusing? Does that mean you want them to eat in the backyard?  If you are new at this, I would recommend clarity and clear boundaries, just so that people won't get pushy with you. Even if they have to walk through the kitchen to get to the bathroom, it's still reasonable and OK to say "no use of the kitchen". It's even OK to say "no kitchen access" if you don't want them to "access" kitchen stuff...Your place, your limits. I find that people often don't read through the entire posting so I think it's good to re-state your most important limits, when they inquire or when they confirm...

Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

Hi@Daniel

Your diet is restrictive ,mso if it’s due to allergies then you do not know what allergens are being brought into your kitchen, fridge etc.......just a thought, as cross contamination of allergens is pretty serious stuff, particularly where an anaphylactic shock is involved!

Crossing the kitchen to use the bathroom is irrelevant.

So a couple of yards walk through your kitchen allows guests to use your kitchen to cook?

Sorry but the 2 are not mutually conducive.

There is a difference between kitchen access as in you must walk a couple of yards through my kitchen to reach the bathroom, but regretfully this does NOT mean you can use my kitchen to cook or prepare snacks or store any food in my fridge or anywhere else in my home.

Why Provide use of cooking utensils, unless it’s for preparation of food or snacks.

I provide a plate, knife and fork and a glass for guests to eat ready made hot food  from the local takeaways.

This food has to be eaten at the table in the kitchen, and just to make SURE guests get the message that the kitchen is totally off limits for their cooking or snack making activities, I clear up the dishes and wash and dry them myself.

IT IS MY kitchen......period!

Noreen29
Level 1
Cromwell, CT

I have had major problems with guests over the kitchen.  I said " Kitchen Privileges".  I understood that to be , having a small amt of food (place given to keep it) cook, eat and go to your own room and space.  I had to evict a rude person because he insisted on sitting at the kitchen table for 12 hours at a time.  I purchased a desk and chair for him to sit at upstairs, with his computer in the empty room, outside his bedroom. He was angry and came down with knitting and sat for 12 hours on the weekend at the kitchen table.( My bedroom is off of the kitchen)  When I tried to get him to leave he refused to leave.  He came with a Uhaul and a large SUV with loads of belongings and tried to take over my home.  My other guess has been a nightmare as well.  My refrigerator is chock full (no air flow) as this man continues to stuff the refrigerator.  He cooks with tons of spices and I have to put on an air purifier and open windows - I pray he leaves and does not give me a hard time.  His room is very cluttered and dirty,  with a whole truckload of stuff, as this was a 1-3 month room.  He keeps extending and extending and I have had to quit Air B n B.  Do not ever rent 1-3 month rental as you get mostly homeless people who refuse to leave and Air B n B is of NO support.  Police feel it is a gray area! Did I mention that he refuses to give me a reference and the other one with a fake name gave me a horrible reference and stole my belongings, broke a valuable figurine and damaged my lawn with the UHaul? This is only the highlights.  This guy was shooting a bee bee gun in the backyard of my residential property and refused to stop.

Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

Hi@Noreen

Please If you can be bothered or spare the time please read my listing and house rules.

I have NO problems as you describe due to these house rules and detailed description.

There is some business I can do without, and what you describe is that type of business.

Yulianna0
Level 10
Madrid, Spain

I’m rather new host, just 2,5 month of experience and 34 groups hosted. Good for me that just from the beginning I learned the lesson to keep my rules. Once I tried to be nice to my guest and to allow to use microwave. She left the remaining food there. In hot summer! Now I say “no” for everyone who wants to use my kitchen. And I’m thinking to put into the description something like” I do not share my underwear and my kitchen. But if you insist we can discuss about underwear”.

Julie4
Level 6
Brighton, United Kingdom

Hi, my listing makes it clear the the kitchen is only available up until 6pm. I make this very clear and ensure guests understand before I agree to go ahead with the booking as I live in the property and this is the only way it can work for me. There are also house etiquette/ rules in the guest pack. Most guests are fine and respect this but I am getting tired of those who try to push it, to the point where I consider not doing Airbnb anymore.  There seems to be an assumption that Air(B&B) (does this not stand for bed & breakfast?) guests have the same access that a full board lodger would have. I certainly wouldn’t stay at a B&B and ask to use their kitchen. I know plenty of places do offer full board as their living arrangements allow this set up. I lower my price in comparison and remind guests of this and am very clear if I have to remind them but I shouldn’t have to.