My Guesthouse has disappeared !

Susan990
Level 10
Redmond, OR

My Guesthouse has disappeared !

Calling out to the community for help.

I have tried every way to find it in searches and nothing.  My Edit pages say that it is Listed and guests can find it in search results but

this is not true.  The custom link still works.  I pasted it here for you to examine my listing and tell me if there is anything wrong with

the listing that would cause the AI to remove it.

https://airbnb.com/h/parkside-pad-solotraveler

The crazy part is that I have a second guesthouse right next to this one and it comes up in search when you just put city and price .

Both places same price, same listing layout. Text, etc. Since there is no Guesthouse category listed need to use All category and I also

discovered it in the Shared homes category. Which is again not true. So what caused that glitch. Why one of my guesthouses gets treated 

and placed incorrectly and the other one disappears completely?

The way things stand I can expect no new business when it comes vacant in July. This is my retirement income cut in half by a stupid machine.

Susan
9 Replies 9
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Susan990 

You on two listings.

One is in the search system, as your personal URL shows:

https://www.airbnb.com/s/homes?host_id=8599742&map_toggle=true

On the guesthouse probably the option for long stays is not set.

You could test it by setting max. stay to 27 nights.

Use the link above to test search system (can take some time for system to process changes)

Added:

You also should check under "listing details", section "amenties",  subsection "services":

"long term stays allowed" activated ?

Ofcourse long term stays allowed.  I have set minimum stay 31 nights and maximum stay 180 days so no need to add long term stays allowed- there is not a click for that anyway. And 27 days is not a monthly stay.  True monthly stays ABB reduces its fee (14.6%) STR to (10.6%) LTR so the whole point is to- get reduced ABB fee & cancel all taxes normally collected on STR ( by law). 

I have been managing my 2 guesthouses for 2 years this way and earned 93% occupancy last year.

Guesthouse used to be a search field for Type which came up under the Entire Place click. And Monthly stays was also its own platform. All is gone. I am basically shut out of business when they both come vacant in July.  My product is disappeared from Airbnb guests search results.

Susan
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Susan990 

" I am basically shut out of business when they both come vacant in July"

The calender on the guesthouse shows it is not available in July. And in august for max 25 nights . So if your minimum stay is set to 31 nights, the guesthouse will not show up in search result for those months.

Emiel1_0-1652737768123.png

The listing you are showing the calendar is not the one that disappeared.

And yes I know my calendar and yes the gap between my next monthly

reservation is 25 days and I have those days set for 4 day minimum stay

and a special price for those days only.

The reason I say I will be out of business by July is that this listing that does come

up is still handicapped by the new format because when they took away the Monthly

Places product and replaced it with Flexible - Month- pick the month search- the public thinks they are searching for a monthly place to stay (with the full plate of benefits a genuine

monthly rental comes with) but what they get will be a 28 day available dates picked by the

AI and that reservation selection will be presented with full Hotel lodging taxes & 14.6% ABB. 

fee  which makes a very high price which is not an appealing or competitive offering.

True Monthly stays are 31 days, tax free, 10.4%ABB fee. If you commit to the Monthly stay market you must outfit, equip and service the place in very specific ways to make it livable for several months. I have dedicated my guest houses to serve the solo traveler seeking a place to live and work for the specified period of time they require. It is a business model.

My returning guests who book year after year will also find difficulty discovering my guesthouse because guesthouse is not clearly presented as a filter option. I do not know how they will find my listings going forward.

For the other unit I have a case going of discovery to find out where it is on the platform with the CS baffled . He left me promising to call back when the problem is fixed.

That was yesterday. Yesterday a past  guest called me directly because she kept my

phone number and she wanted to know if the Parkside  unit was available for 3 months.

I said yes it was and I needed to rent it to her directly because ABB platform had malfunctioned.  I then blocked off that calendar for her reservation.  

Hopefully ABB will fix the problem and my #2 unit will present in search by the time her reservation ends. 

Susan

I have max. at 180 nights, minimum stay 31 nights, have been doing this for 2 years now and with the new platform one listing still comes up and the other one does not.  I now have contact with another

host who says she got 2 apartments restored to the platform by changing her pets setting to Pets Allowed and she checked back and they were restored to the platform.  Then she changed it back to no pets. So proof is out there that the AI picks and chooses what it likes and discards what it does not.

This is not host user error or anything rational to the business at hand.

Susan
Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Susan990,

I signed into my account as a traveler, and did a couple of searches for Redmond, OR, entire place, 2 guests, All Homes.  Your listing didn't appear in the results.  The first search option was for a month in July or August, and there were lots of results in Redmond and also Bend.  Unfortunately, the city names are obfuscated on the by the high end prices of the listings that were returned.  As I mentioned before, this can pose a serious problem for someone who is unfamiliar with the geography of their destination.  Secondly, I did the type of search that I normally perform, I entered July 6 to August 7, 20200, entire home, 2 guests, All Homes.  Again, 62 listings were returned mostly in Redmond and Bend.  I don't know the STR market in that area, but will guess that the prices are probably not what most guests would expect, $2,650 to $19,000 monthly for Redmond with only six being less than $4,100.  

My guesthouses did not come up because I only allow 1 (one) guest for each- hence the term Solo Traveler- a term  and category of guest that Airbnb devoted an entire issue of their magazine to- I still have a copy.  I copied everything they said about serving the needs of the solo traveler and incorporated that info. in my amenities and services.

Susan
Stephanie365
Level 10
Fredericksburg, VA

Am I understanding correctly you have two listings for two rooms in the same house and only one of them is showing up?  Because I did find your listing. But it was #1, not #2. 

If I could make the suggestion to perhaps give two completely different titles to each listing and use different photos (to the extent this is possible) to perhaps confuse the Bots enough to recognize your second listing? Both of your listings have the same first photo and my understanding is the Bots use both photos and language in the listing to identify it.

YOu totally misunderstand my message. I have 2 guesthouses on the same lot as clearly defined and imaged in the listings which have been very successful for years now. One guesthouse still presents in searches and the other one does not. I have a case file going on the missing one and the CS is still trying to find it, as of todays update report to me.

Susan