New camera policy is unfair to hosts especially NYC STR hosts

New camera policy is unfair to hosts especially NYC STR hosts

I think this new policy is unfair and unsafe to hosts.

Here in NYC we are only permitted to do STR where we live. We have to share the space with our guests. So as much as we don't want to have personal stuff in our spaces, there's only so much we can put away.

I only feel comfortable doing airbnb STR because I have ring cameras in the hallways, the kitchen and my daughter's art room.

I do not want to remove it from the hallways because:

1. My outdoor cameras are not reliable. It picks up every passerby and every car but doesn't always pickup when there's a guest at the door. I rely on my hallway camera for accurate notification when someone enters my house. As much as I try to pick good guests, at the end of the day, they are strangers in my house & around my family. So many have tried to enter doors they no they shouldn't enter. God forbid something goes wrong, I need proof.

2. so many guests leave my doors wide open & never say anything. I only know when I get an alert from my indoor camera. The outside camera always misses it. If I have to remove my hallway camera, anyone passing by could just walk in.

3. When I 1st started airbnb, I had damages & theft. I only received reimbursement for a tv stolen by a guest because I had proof from the hallway camera (the outside camera missed it). 

4. Too many guests have tried to sneak in unregistered guests. I have to be careful with this because NYC maximum guests is 2 or risk getting fined.

I do not want to remove the camera from my daughter's art room because:

1. it can't be closed off & there are too many guests touching her belongings. They only stop because they remember I have the camera. I have nowhere else to move her stuff. 

2. I get a notification when they try to open the door to my daughter's bedroom. There's big sign on the door so they know it's off limits but, the still try to open it.

3. If someone goes in her bedroom, or damages her stuff or takes something, I want to be able to look back and see who did it.

The kitchen camera helps:

1. when people forget stuff in the fridge, I can go back & see if it's my kids or if it was a guest.

2. When I found a bunch of food in the sink, I was able to go back & see who did it (it's not a garbage disposal).

3. When I saw slimy stuff in the sink drain, I was able to go back & see, someone hacked up thick spit in it. I knew I had to take extra precaution, clean/disinfect/sanitize even more than usual. 4. more importantly, if I need to, I can see when someone is trying to access the bedroom right next to the kitchen, it's off limits to guests. 

I don't know what to do. This new policy will just give guests freedom to break house rules.

I'm ok getting rid of the kitchen camera. I'm not ok getting rid of the camera in my daughters art room. I don't feel safe getting rid of my hallway cameras.

4 Replies 4
Patrick3299
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

I certainly share in your sentiment. As an Airbnb superhost, I rely heavily on the cctv in my lobby to prevent theft. I have already had  a very expensive artwork stolen since I removed the lobby CCTV. Contacted Airbnb and surprise surprise, they are telling me to provide proof of the guest who stole the artwork. Now bear in my mind that I  am a remote host and only found out about the missing item from a new member of the cleaning team who is also not sure exactly when this prized artwork was stolen given the fact that we have hosted at least seven different groups in the past 6 weeks!  This new policy  Really frustrated with this new policy as it essentially makes you vulnerable to thieves parading as Airbnb guests to steal from your property Willy nilly.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Patrick3299 

How horrible for you. A piece of advice I was given when I first started hosting is never leave anything that is of financial or sentimental value in your listing that you would be upset about having stolen.

surely your cleaners should notice if a valuable item was stolen after a guests stay so you could make a claim against a guest ? 

The regular cleaner who is more conversant with the space was out on holiday for a couple of weeks. I had to use the services of a temporary staff who is not that familiar with the set up. I'm absolutely gutted! I've really hosted some very nice guests in the past but losing this art piece makes me really upset as I had it specifically commissioned for me. I never had anything stolen in the past when I had my trusted CCTV in the lobby. This new camera policy by Airbnb is very unsafe and unfair to some hosts. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I'm a home share host . We have a canera on our front door so you can easily see who is coming  in and out . 

I have locks on bedroom doors and private spaces so guests can't access these spaces . 

Ive not ever had issues with guests leaving the front door open in nine years  of hosting - it must be so frighten for you having  guests leave your front door open. 

i would suggest having locks on your private spaces and a ring camera on your front door will help with some of your concerns . 

@Jency2