New security camera policy is unreasonable

Conrad76
Level 8
Boston, MA

New security camera policy is unreasonable

I presume all hosts received an email from Airbnb about security cameras, in which it says, "You’re not allowed to have cameras that monitor indoor spaces." That is completely unfair. The basic Abode security system that I have has a motion sensor with a camera that takes a snapshot if the sensor is triggered when the alarm is on, to get a picture of who or what is moving in the hallway. I disclose this in my listing, and I have a small curtain that guests can pull to cover the camera if they are concerned about privacy. Airbnb is essentially forcing me to get a different security system. How are other hosts dealing with this?

212 Replies 212
Gil2587
Level 2
Tel Aviv-Yafo, Israel

Totally agree. We have a security camera watching the house's front door from the inside of the vestibule area. It's clearly visible and guests are instructed to turn it off when they enter if they wish to do so. (One click on the rocker switch) Most don't bother.

We use Airbnb very little (3-4 bookings a year tops. We are fully booked with guests coming from other sources or use the property ourselves).

AirBNB said I have to REMOVE the camera (turning it off ourselves before Airbnb guests come wasn't approved).

I am most likely going to take us off Airbnb unless they get back to their senses. I just wonder what about the bookings we already have for this year. Should I cancel? I don't like being in violation of any policy. Even if it's ridiculous.

Exactly the same happened to me. So I did my part, contacted Airbnb support and sent them feedback through their system.

Most probably we will also delist our property from Airbnb and move to other platforms.

I will definitely not cancel the upcoming bookings, as this will result in a penalty from our side. If Airbnb decides to change policy while bookings are confirmed, then they should be responsible for their decision. When the guests made their bookings, they knew the Airbnb  policy at that time. And we were also compliant with it.

Cathryn44
Level 2
Lens, Switzerland

We have a luxury property in Mexico and installed security cameras and a security system  in the common areas and outside many years ago after a break-in.  The cameras allow our live in staff to see who is at the outside door before letting them enter the property but would also allow them to see where an intruder is should someone enter the property illegally and/or trip the alarm system.  It is totally for the security of the staff, the guests, and the home.  

Removing our the cameras inside and specifically identifying where they are outdoors is like inviting thieves into the home.  Our security system has alarms but the security firm nor the police will enter a property if they don't know where the possible intruder is located.

We have only used the cameras with respect to guests once when a group held an illegal party and stole items from the house. 

Airbnb no doubt has instituted this policy to protect themselves from liability where hosts are using cameras in inappropriate ways and to protect their revenue stream to the extent guests protest security cameras (although one must question what those guests want to do that can't be filmed?).   

If this policy continues, no luxury properties will want to list on Airbnb.  In addition, no one in a large city will want to rent their rooms, nor will small hotels, etc want to be listed.   Hoping Airbnb thinks through the consequences of this overly broad policy.

To top it off, Airbnb wants us to specifically publish the location of each and every single camera that is being used. 

Bear in mind that Airbnb instructs us to add this highly sensitive information in a way so that it is being published publicly on their website which any website visitor can readily see without even requiring an Airbnb account or anything of that sort. There are better and safer ways to inform a booked guest via private messages or additional information provided AFTER booking.

Together with the approximate mapping locator paired with any exterior shots of the accommodation any thief will have a hayday avoiding any security cameras that have been conveniently published by Airbnb.

This is truly upsetting and counterproductive. Who would want to invest money into security only to have it published on the WWW for everyone to see???

Sherri176
Level 6
Fort Worth, TX

not good for hosts who share their home and rent out guest rooms to mid term/long term renters (30+ day stays). I was able to prove a guy said he was going to punch my dog...they didn't even cancel his reservation until the following day, so he got to threaten violence and still stay with me while I live in the home and he rented the guest room...the cameras don't protect me from bodily injury obviously but they showed proof of acts of aggression....which kept me as a host active so I could continue hosting. I do month to month fully furnished all bills paid rooms with mini kitchenettes, tall dorm fridges, breakfast table-en suite and only have 3 cameras, the front door, the living room, and the kitchen. So crazy how after 4 years this indoor camera ban happens. Since I live in the home I should be allowed to keep my camera in the kitchen and the living room.

Exactly my thoughts. If we live in the property,  I should have a final say if I want to have indoor cameras or not. Plus, they serve as my nanny cameras for our dog. I am not sure who Airbnb is protecting by implementing this useless policy. 

Conrad76
Level 8
Boston, MA

It is heartening to know that so many other hosts agree with me that this policy change is LUDICROUS! I hope every host takes the time to file a complaint with Airbnb Support.

ALSO... everyone please set a calendar reminder for April 30, and Unlist your property on that day (not before) -- even if you don't want to unlist it permanently, I'm hoping that if a ton of hosts do that, it will get some attention. You can re-list it a week or two later.

Under your property listing, Listing Basics, Listing Status, check Unlisted, then you are asked to pick why -- under "I was disappointed with Airbnb's service" there is a sub-option "I disagree with an Airbnb policy change", which I think best fits this situation (you can't enter a free text description of the reason).

How do you file a complaint with AirBNB support?

I started a Help session by going to https://www.airbnb.com/help/, scroll down a little and there's a big Contact Us button.

First they remove our ability to see who is wanting to book with us.  All I get is an initial, sometimes two initials.  I have no way of telling if it is a male or female.   There are no longer any picture(s) prior to their booking.

Why are we as the hosts not allowed to have any idea who wants to book without either asking potential guests for more information to find out their name, sex or anything else we feel might be important for our safety?

It is only after they have booked,  we finally get to see their picture and know their name without asking.  

NOW they want to remove our security cameras in our Common Areas?

What happened to Host rights and the basic idea of protecting us Hosts?

Sounds a bit like the early stages of communism here.  All people need to push back on this or they will walk all over the property owners.  They can easily trash your place and you will be on the hook for the damages.  This will make this type of activity commonplace.

Attention Hosts:

I asked my support "case" to be escalated, and their response was:

"...I can acknowledge how this change on the policy can affect Hosts. From our end on support, for us to escalate this information to a higher level, we do it through the feedback provided by our members, just as you did with the community, and us reporting it here every time we receive a message or call from a Guest or Host."

Therefore, please do contact Airbnb Support (there are various ways to do it, see airbnb.com/help then the Contact Us button) and complain about this unreasonable policy change.

Im gonna remove my listing April 30th from Airbnb listing bc I rent a private bedroom with its own private bathroom and private entrance. they informed me that I can't have cameras in the rest of my house even if there's no common areas.

I'm single and live alone so they can go to hell.

Im going to rent to traveling nurses instead. funny thing is I never had cameras until several guests broke my rule of not bringing anyone on my property that's not part of their party

i caught them sneaking out in the morning and one person had his huge truck parked in my carport that wasn't a guest. I of course told him he has to leave. 

I have no cameras in their room or bathroom

I second the "they can go to hell" statement.  This is one of the reasons I have surveillance where it is needed.  No invasion of privacy, just monitoring the general activity as you described.  Internally I have a camera above the kitchen sink to monitor who is dumping grease and other garbage down the sink until it is plugged and I am stuck with the bill.  Outside, the system acts as a deterrent to unregistered guests being allowed in and also watches for crime activity in the immediate area.  I am not about to rip out my expensive system. 

So once again.....THEY CAN GO TO HELL.  🙂