Please critique my place

Ashraf65
Level 2
Lahore, Pakistan

Please critique my place

I recently created a listing. If someone can please give me useful hints as to how to attract guests. It’s been just a month but I would like to get guests soon.

Thank you

Ashraf 

airbnb.com/h/cozihom-lakecitylhe

13 Replies 13
Marie8425
Top Contributor
Buckeye, AZ

@Ashraf65 

First it looks like your renting  rooms but it is listed as a home?  Little confusing.

Then it says 2 bedrooms but  3 beds?

DDo  both bedrooms have a shared or private bath?  For some guests they want a private bath.

If  you don't live there especially..Guests want to see house rules.  So  they can see if their  comfort level.

Fill everything out.  I had someone who picked my room because I have Costco cotton sheets haha.

You’ve been so wonderful to comment. I guess I should title my space as a  room sonce that’s the main space  guests will be using. They may use the kitchen and the living room. I do have 2 more bedrooms upstairs but they’re really not fully furnished so I should not mention them. I should put something to the effect that they may use the living room and the kitchen etc.

Thank you so much. I’ll fix that!

ashraf

@Ashraf65 

That is  what is  confusing  am I renting a private  apt or a room with other  guests  I don't know.  You  can  just lock the rooms not ready  so an apt with 2 bedrooms.  If I am renting the whole apt then usually it is 2 adults for  bedrooms  because 1 adult you are eliminating couples. and couples with  a child    or two.

I really have to title it as a home since when they have the keys to the house they have the whole house to themselves. Good idea to lock the unfurnished rooms upstairs. 

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Ashraf65 , a very warm welcome to the Community🌻!

Its so great to see our wonderful experienced Host members @Marie8425 @Snezana36 @Willard8 sharing great pieces of advice. 

As our Hosts continue to share their incredible ideas with you, I wanted to share a few guides drafted by Hosts in the Community as well, in case you find them useful for reference or tips. Hope it helps!

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Snezana36
Level 2
Belgrade, Serbia

Dear @Ashraf65 ,

I hope you will have a good time hosting and business will go well. I would suggest to add more plants in the home and backyard, it is good to improve your ammentities as well (hair dryer, shower gel etc., it doesn't have to be expensive, it is only important to have it in a home). It is nice to leave to guests tea, coffee, water in the fridge etc., once you have it all make pictures of it. You can put towels on a bed, fruit in the bowl and make pictures of it. Small details mean a lot to most of the guests and they will appreciate it. Good luck in future hosting!

Willard8
Level 2
Morell, Canada

@Ashraf65 ,  congratulations and welcome to the Airbnb community. 

We are also new to Airbnb. Tell people exactly what you're offering. Have a look at our site. Photos are important. Tell guests exactly what they can expect. Are you offering private bathroom or scared? Are there locks in the bedrooms (if you're only offering a bedroom and not your house). What's included in the fees?

Good luck and welcome to the community!

Will

Stacie13
Level 2
Ridgecrest, CA

@Ashraf65 Photos are important to me when looking to stay, as well as details of the house.

Make sure that in the photos:

- surfaces are dusted

- marks on floors, furniture, etc are cleaned as much as possible

- unnecessary items are removed (what is on the single chair in the front room? what is the black thing on the floor next to the chair? Why is there a plate on the wall behind the faucet in the kitchen?)

- clear, crisp, well lit photos are important

- outside is cleaned up (photo of front yard shows trash and leaves in the driveway)

First impressions are everything and shows you care to take the time to make everything look perfect.

The home looks comfortable. I would also look at other AirBNB's in your area to see what is offered/ how the listing is set up, for more ideas you could implement in your own listing 🙂

I tried to tidy things up. It will be a work in progress. Only, because you notice and pointed out some untidiness. Thanks. Will keep working on it. Trying to get hooked up for wifi and to get an iron 🙂

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Ashraf65 , it's so great to see that you've received amazing support from Hosts @Marie8425  @Suzanne1065 @Stacie13 @Willard8 @Snezana36 🌻.  How are you progressing with implementing all the great tips in this thread?  😉

Was there any specific suggestion that you immediately implemented as soon as you received it? It'd be a really nice gesture to also consider marking a best answer out of all the helpful replies, so that new Hosts visiting these listing improvement threads get some inspiration based on your experience 😍 

Looking forward to hearing from you!

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Suzanne1065
Level 2
Mt Dora, FL

Hello @Ashraf65 

First I would suggest rewording your description.  It doesn’t sell your place but instead makes excuses for it.  Start with what made you buy this place, what was the draw?  Beautiful scenery, resort area, true local experience , religion?   Why would people be visiting this place?  Close to airport, historical, great food. What is there to do around the area?  Shopping, eating, entertainment, hiking.  Also given it’s in a country of unrest and wars I would mention how safe the area is.  You need help with your wording.  If you would like I can help you with that, free.

Additionally,  your first picture is not good.  It has a bag on the chair, a vase and decoration next to a small table-not on it and it’s from a bad angle.  The outside shot has a hose in it that not put away and tidy.  Then there’s a picture of a chair, not applicable.  Your bedroom looks lovely but should have the wire on the right nightstand taken out of shot.  Your living room is also lovely in one of the pictures.  The kitchen needs to be cleared out.  Things need to be put in cabinets (jars, sponges, dishes, anything other than appliances.  Also you need more light on for the picture.  You also need to list the kitchen amenities.  Stove, oven, dishes, cooking pans, etc.

As far as the heading for the rental goes, clarify.  Whole house, downstairs of house?  Do I have it right…It’s a two story house-  downstairs is 1 bedroom/1 bath, living room (with a pull out couch), and kitchen.  Upstairs is 1 bedroom & 1 bath that you haven’t furnished?  Additionally mention if you are a local host.

Also rental is just $15 a night?

I hope this helps and I would be happy to help in any way, so your descriptions align with the English language.

Suzanne

@Suzanne1065 

Hi.

i was laughing at my faux-pas as you pointed them out. I will definitely give heed to your advice and clear out the wire on the nightstand, the hose on the lawn etc. I am going to keep working on it. As for what attracted me to buy this place I have no idea. I was in the US back when my dad bought the place for me. I lived mostly in cities in the US and this place is totally family oriented suburbia. They hate to see me come and go : an aging single man(uncommon to rare in Pakistan lol). For me it’s a get away  from my parents’ home on weekends. I don’t know how I could market it other than for that - “come to get away from your nagging/aging mom!”.  No seriously, I will fix the things you mentioned. The “religious” thing is interesting (I don’t know if there’s a box under Amenities where you could check off religious event as an option. I kid you not, if u have access to the internet there’s a huge religious gathering 15 km further south of my house! Would need a higher cleaning fee if do put up travelers coming for that from far corners.

Thanks a lot on your attention to details!! Lovely!!

I’m glad you have a sense of humor and welcome directness.  I have a close friend from Pakistan that is in his late 30’s and just got engaged.  Finally put his Mom in a happy place!

That religious event sounds perfect to include in your description of your rental.  You up your price for that time and  up your cleaning fee.  I’m going to forward you my listings so you can see how to word your listing to encourage people to visit.  The area I own my two rentals in is a huge area for children visiting their parents.  That is a great market.  They usually come for 4 days to 2 weeks.  Offering a weekly discount of 10% helps for longer stays.  Possibly adding that you have a crib or high chair for rental if guests have a baby would encourage family stays.

links:

https://www.airbnb.com/h/northkeysuitesdownstairsapt

https://www.airbnb.com/h/northkeysuiteshistoricdistrict

Please reach out if I can help in anyway.  My email is **

**[Contact details removed - Community Center Guidelines] - Please note that it is not allowed to advertise or share contact details on the Community Center.