[Poll] Do you manage your listing on your own?

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

[Poll] Do you manage your listing on your own?

Image for poll.png

Hello everyone!  Hope you’ve had a great weekend.

I imagine that over the last couple of days, you’ve spent time looking after your bookings, your rentals, and your guests.  Some of you handle the work yourselves, while others work as part of a team.

My burning question today is “how do you do it?” - you can take part in the poll below - and give us all the details in the comments.

I can’t wait to hear about what works for you!

Jenny

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

38 Replies 38
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Gillian166 

I don't know about 'Spreadsheet nerd' but Gill, in my working life I did run a mechanical services company. In the space of 8 years I went from employing 3 staff to 27, so I got a good grasp of how to handle people and situations! I know the importance of attending to details.

To set my listing price I compiled a profit and loss sheet! Many hosts here have absolutely no idea if they are making money or losing it, they are simply guided by Airbnb's pricing tips which is a shortcut to financial ruin because Airbnb do not like to let a potential booking escape to another platform, so a hosts price will never be cheap enough!

As I said I am not in this to make squillions of dollars.......I am in this to help us a bit in our retirement, and that is exactly what I have achieved!

Here is the profit and loss sheet I set up......

Profit statement.pngGillian, this gives me a framework to assess whether what I do is worthwhile. All hosts need to set up something like this because without it, it's a bit like saying .....how many holes are there in a crumpet!

Cheers........Rob 

Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

@Robin4 
nice one. I really must get around to working out a price per day on our fixed expenses.
sadly our mortgage is still rather massive so i don't bother doing this level of work, but we have multiple income streams coming in, and looking for more.  

I was wondering if i could work out how much a piece of red gum firewood is, to work out how much that is costing me per guest, I suppose I could weigh a piece? 

Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

@Jenny  what's the result of the poll so far?

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

Hi @Gillian166!

I'm going to let it run a few more days, but for now I can say that it's overwhelmingly in favour of people managing listings on their own!  That surprised me, I was expecting more teamwork!

-----

Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

@Jenny  curious to know what people define as "teamwork". my husband doesn't help in the day to day stuff, but when i need him to crawl under the veranda and check the reinforcements for me... well that's part of the team. 

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

I do mostly everything myself for my three listings; including the cleaning. Because I started this venture to help my parents financially, and because they take most of the income, I make my mother contribute by ironing the sheets and pillowcases. I also have a boyfriend who helps with some maintance tasks and a father who shovels a walkway or two.

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Emilia42 "I make my mother contribute by ironing the sheets and pillowcases." I like your style 😂

-----

@Stephanie wrote:

@Emilia42 "I make my mother contribute by ironing the sheets and pillowcases." I like your style 😂

haha @Emilia42  ditto! when my mum comes to stay she does the washing, the ironing and cooks for me. that's teamwork ! 

Nina75
Level 10
LA, CA

YES 100%  I QUIT MY JOB....