Question about the start

Philip3527
Level 4
Melbourne, Australia

Question about the start

I am starting a new listing, and was wondering if I should take my time and set it up nicely or should I try to put it on Airbnb as soon as possible. This would mean maybe the photos would not be professionally done, missing bits and pieces and not look as good. But of course redo the photos again professionally once it’s all properly setup. I was wondering what other people thoughts on this.

10 Replies 10
Shelley159
Top Contributor
Stellenbosch, South Africa

Hi @Philip3527 

The downside to not having a good-looking web listing, is that you may not get bookings. Once you do get a booking, you will be reviewed on the stay rather than the quality of the page. So, if your not-so-perfect page does end up getting bookings, there's no problem, as long as what you show and write on Airbnb what the guest actually gets (the content has to be factually correct - you do get reviewed and can be challenged on misrepresentation).

Many listings start out with the host's own photos. It can also be impractical to hire a photographer every time you change or upgrade something, so many long-standing listings also end up with some of the host's own photos! I would just go ahead and do the listing for now, and see how it goes.

that’s a good point about the review being on the actual stay. As you said initially it is only about attracting the bookers. Thx

Angela3989
Level 3
Milwaukee, WI

@Philip3527  I think, people want a clean well-appointed place that's comfortable to sleep and hang out in when they aren't out doing other things. Do you think that's what your place provides? That's really the thing that should determine if you list now or later. So as long as your photos are well lit, preferably with the windows fully uncovered so maximum daylight is in the room, it should be fine based on your answer to that question. I didn't get professional photos of my place at all, and get lots of listings.

Marie8425
Top Contributor
Buckeye, AZ

@Philip3527 

My suggestion would be what market is in your area?  If it is a luxury stay then as a guest I would be looking for  that luxury pager.  If it is more in the economy market, I would think Guests more forgivin g.

If it bis a family market then maybe in the middle, they will want the info and a clean if not perfect presentation

Carmen23
Level 3
Hillarys, Australia

When I first started some 10 years ago I wrote my own advertisement and photographed the place.  NO less than 10 pictures should do. Do turn lights own, avoid clutter and Flowers also brighten up the place. It's really not complicated. Carmen from PERTH, Australia 

I have been analyzing photos on Airbnb seeing what works and what doesn’t so I agree lighting is very important.

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Philip3527 , hosts have shared amazing tips related to your listing. Are you thinking of implementing any specific tips?

I noticed that your listings are already up and running 😉 Any luck with potential booking inquiries so far? 

Wishing you all the best for your hosting adventure🌻

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Cheri354
Level 10
Helena-West Helena, AR

Begin as you mean to go on 🙂

You will feel so much more prepared once the space is done. Presentation is a big part of the appeal. People judge by the price, location and photos mostly.

So, make a list of what it is that you're 'missing'. Maybe those little details aren't important. Maybe those details will make it shine 🙂 What sort of things does it need to be "properly setup" ?

Also, don't fret; you don't have to have professional photos taken. Phone photos are good. Look at other peoples listing to get some ideas regarding closeups, angles, lighting, etc. Have a good friend help edit photos if that would be a good thing for you.

Roger1055
Level 2
Boston, MA

100% first impressions! 

Helen56
Level 10
San Diego, CA

@Philip3527 I spent about 2-3 weeks working on my listing - writing the descriptions, rules, etc, often based on what I had read on these forums, especially as regards rules.  I took my own photos on my cell phone, I rigged up an extra light in the doorway and stood on a step ladder to get the whole room pictures. You can brighten the darker photos in the picture editor you have on your computer to show more details - I did this for my sleigh bed to show the scrolls.  

Someone mentioned adding flowers.  Don't do that unless you always plan to have flowers in the room.  My photos don't show a vase of flowers but I often have one for guests, unless it's a heatwave like now, so they die quickly.  I also don't show the snack jar in the photos because sometimes I've run out of them.  So flowers and snack jar with fig rolls and granola bars are a nice surprise for guests.

I really think it's worth working on a great listing, you need to feel that its perfect before you 'launch'!

I still tweak mine frequently, often based on what guests say they liked, and what I read in these forums.  

Good luck with your Airbnb project, just have fun with it.

Also, check prices for comparable places in your areas - you can go into 'guest mode' and create a search with the same parameters as your place - bedrooms, number of guests, etc.  Don't be the cheapest, be in the top quarter, you will get better quality guests, and remember - once all the cheap places have quickly rented out only your place will show.   

Leave honest reviews and warn hosts of bad guests, and recommend good ones.