Seeking experiences with security cameras re feedback from guests etc

Seeking experiences with security cameras re feedback from guests etc

Hi from Australia,

I've been a short term rental host for over a decade and have many tales of the good, the bad and the ugly.

Our last guests that stayed 9 nights mounted their own exterior security camera to my property and left it there functioning, didn't return the keys and left the place in a bad state. A security camera mount was also inside ao something sinister likely went on and police were involved. 

Currently it feels like the final straw re a number of similar experiences over the years.

So interested to hear from people that have installed exterior security cameras in alignment with airbnb policy and specifically whether it impacted on bookings or you received negative feedback and concerns from guests.

Cheers with Aussie beers

4 Replies 4
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@John6994 I would never book a place with an internal security camera. Ooops just seen you asked about exterior cameras - We have a Ring doorbell and no complaints so far

Why were the police involved?

I never said had an internal camera. Guests installed it

Ana2038
Level 10
Santa Ana, CA

We don’t have exterior cameras on our listing itself but have them around the perimeter of the main house (our primary residence). The cameras are disclosed per Airbnb guidelines. We have not had an issue with anyone complaining and/or less bookings.  This could be  due to the fact that the cameras are not on the listing itself. However, our cameras can capture anyone who enters our side gate (this is where guest(s) need to enter to get to listing), as well as passing cars on the street level.  Now our cameras were installed prior to us listing our unit on Airbnb and was more of a security for me as my husband traveled quite a bit back in the days.  

Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@John6994 A guest putting up a camera sounds not good John. You will find that Airbnb are very quick to suspend hosts who have security cameras , even discloseed ones , if guests say their privacy was invaded. .. H