Split my house into different size listings?

Split my house into different size listings?

Hello 🙋‍♂️ 

I have a townhouse in Glastonbury that has 4 bedrooms but currently only three are ready. 

I wondered if I could gain more income by listing it separately as a 1, 2 and three bed (eventually 4 x beds when I have all the junk shifted out of it 😉) thereby giving guests more choice. 

I want to be dynamic in my offerings and not doggedly pursue the highest earning option. 

As I have only been hosting for two months I need to go into the low season with my eyes open to opportunities. 

Does anyone do this - was it productive for you? 

Thank you in advance for your time! 

7 Replies 7
Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

You can absolutely create four individual listings as long as you link them to avoid double bookings @Grace1158  if you go for this model and you are locking bedrooms not being used make this clear on the listing.

most people with larger properties just charge a base price then additional rate for additional guests . The issue here is that sometimes you get two or three guests using all the bedrooms.

don't forget you need a fire assessment, to register for business rates and get a commercial rubbish collection service.

Hi Helen,

Many thanks for your response! 

@Grace1158 

Excellent advice from @Helen3!

Many hosts using this model will restrict the smaller listings in high season and on weekends in order to get the larger one booked. They open up the smaller listings during the weekdays, or last minute if the larger isn't booked. Not sure about your bathroom setup, but you may need to lock off bathrooms for the smaller listings so as not to have every bathroom in the house used when only the 1bedroom is booked. This depends on the layout of the house. If a two story, you'll prob need at least 1 bathroom open where the bedroom is (upstairs?) and one bath open downstairs. 

Also, I have learned from other Hosts that linking the calendars can be a bit tricky. Reservations will sync and block dates to prevent double bookings, but manually blocking dates will not. If you want to block dates for your personal use on the property, you'll have to manually block ALL the calendars.

Thank you for your response - it’s useful to know other people do this! As a week filler is a good option - I will seriously look into creating this set up. 

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Grace1158 You should also switch on pro-tools in your account. This gives you a multi listing calendar which is essential if you have more than one listing.

Excellent! Thank you for the tip. Much appreciated. 

Please provide clear and detailed information about your accommodation and house rules.