Transient Occupancy Tax

Steven1570
Level 1
Carlsbad, CA

Transient Occupancy Tax

Hello,

This is my first post on this site.  I have been hosting for a little over a year.  It has been a definite learning process.  We have a unit that is subject to a 10% Transient Accommodation Tax, which I had initially been under a false understanding with AirBnB that they were submitting this to our local government..  I was mistaken..yikes!!  So now, after calculating all and submitting, with many penalties, the 10% TOT we are up to speed.  My question is do you think it's best to put the 10% as a charge that AirBnB collects or have it incorporated into the nightly rate and absorb the fee?

Thank you!

Steve

1 Reply 1
Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Steven1570. Welcome to the Community Center! How do you currently have your TOT tax setup?

I found this Resource Center article about Occupancy tax collection and remittance by Airbnb in the State of California 👈. You can have a look at the link and search for your county.

I've also tagged a few hosts who have discussed TOT tax in the past who might be able to provide more insight:

@Karen4122 @Mike-And-Jane0 @Devon172 @Sharon1966 @Melanie318 @Joan2709 @Phil3896

Lastly, you might find this guide created by @Angela1056 to be helpful:

👉 How to include a tourist tax in the rental price

I hope this helps!

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen