Venting my frustration at Airbnb's sloppy host vetting

Venting my frustration at Airbnb's sloppy host vetting

So I'm at a quandry. I'm popping in to see my daughter for a quick weekend with my husband. Booked an Airbnb within walking distance of her apartment. Host has several good reviews. Get a message (no last name, by the way) saying that the address on the listing is not the REAL address. Apparently that is the place where guests used to pick up keys.  Instead, the real apartment is 1.5 miles away (a 31 minute walk versus a 5 minute walk).

(insert as many expletives as you want here)

How does Airbnb allow a host to list an address that is not the actual address, then tell the guest - oops - go to a different place. Who vetts this stuff?

Venting over. (I'm considering cancelling - it's been less than 24 hours - but that may mean I lose my coupon used to bring the cost down)..

What would you do if you were in my place?

And shouldn't Airbnb start requiring verification of address?

56 Replies 56
Susan1188
Level 10
Marbella, Spain

If you would post us the link, we could all chime in to point out to you the red flags that would have indicated this listing is a scam.  Too bad airbnb didn't see it before your booking.

@Susan1188  Christine is actually an experienced host and guest who likely is aware of red flags, although for a user who isn't so savvy, posting the link is certainly helpful.  It seems it was just the misleading address that is the issue.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Unless you have an Airbnb photographer come round, Airbnb don't actually 'verify' that the listing is what it says it is. How are they to even know if it's half an hour's walk from the address typed in when the host lists it? The only way is if guests report it. If they haven't even mentioned it in their reviews, then perhaps none have reported it. Also, as there's only three reviews, perhaps the host started a new listing using different details.

I would be furious about this. It's total misrepresentation. We're not talking about just around the corner...

Totally agree after I read about boy-scouts showing up to an empty lot in Florida.

I’m flying out in a week. I’ll let you know what happens. 

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

I find it interesting that in the press, any story about a bad host -- dirty places, nonexistent place, etc. (which is a bad thing and shouldn't happen) tends to go viral, quickly, and stay out there for a long time. 

If you visit various travel forums like TripAdvisor, whenever the subject of Airbnb comes up, it's almost a given that someone will post something about it being a hotbed for scam listings, and post all the viral links to the bad host stories. Then it inevitably descends into "airbnb is expensive and the places are crappy". (but then somebody will mention "Eddie's cheap villas", because, well, they're super). 

Conversely, any story about bad guests - trashing houses, damage, fraudulently soliciting refunds, Airbnb punishing hosts.... These stories go nowhere. Not interesting. 

Since bad hosts can't last very long on Airbnb, I'd have to believe that the occurrence of bad hosting is miniscule compared with the occurrences of bad guests. And a bad guest can just keep doing it over and over again, while bad hosts will get cut off in rather short order. 

Not that I'm defending Airbnb, its just that it's kind of ironic, isn't it? 

@Elaine701  And while there are a few guests who will post about a bad experience here on the forum, but say that they've had lots of wonderful Airbnb stays and great hosts in the past, most of the guest posts here about a scammer host, or ranting about not getting a refund when in fact they weren't eligible for one, put forth their firmly held notion that "Airbnb always sides with the host". 

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

@Sarah977 

This brings to mind another observation I've seen often here. I mentioned how people read the stories, then conclude and claim that some obscure local holiday rental outfit is somehow less problematic. 

Like you, we're in a popular tourist destination, and have a lot of these little one man "property management" outfits that rent apartments and villas. And they're often the very source of these problems, despite those who claim it's just how Airbnb is. 

It seems illogical that a seasoned host would ignore the obvious advantages of listing on a major platform, in favour of "Eddie's villas". Simply because Eddie would neither have the market reach to effectively market your listing, and/or would simply place your listing on all the major platforms and tack on a commission (which is precisely what many do). The major platforms are already expensive to list with, and it's pretty easy to create a listing and manage it, so there's really no need to have Eddie in the middle. In fact, it would be downright irresponsible. So, if it the villa is only listed on Eddie's, that's your first red flag.

But Eddie will always manage to get a few to sign up exclusively. Particularly naive newbies that are friends of friends. Or owners that don't want to be involved, just want somebody to handle it and collect the money (there's a lot of those here - people who live elsewhere, own a house or apartment, want the money, but don't want to be bothered). In that case, the accommodation is less likely to have any special touches, and since Eddie is only collecting a few percent, he has little motivation to dress it up more than the minimum. Basic accommodation. 4 knives and forks, 4 plates, 4 cups & 4 glasses. A basic wipe is considered "cleaning". Just iron the pillow cases, nobody will notice. And cheap - which attracts customers. And that gets Eddie his 3%. Job done. Next guest, please...

All of this is presuming that Eddie is actually legitimate. He might start out that way, but things change, maybe he runs into trouble with guests, gets delisted from the majors... and there may be a point where he's forced to do something he never intended, such as keep the money from a cancellation or security deposit. He doesn't have the float to cover it. And to make it worse, the major platforms don't pay Eddie until the guest arrives, and Eddie can't really get the money illegitimately that way. So Eddie starts collecting the money himself. And that's when it all really goes pear shaped.

So, the morale of this one is that for whatever problems Airbnb or VRBO or anyone else has, it's generally still safer than booking on Eddie's. And the same listing is likely to be on Airbnb anyway. If not, its probably a red flag worth heeding. 

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Christine615  keep us posted, I'm very curious about how this story ended, hopefully good for you

Whenever I used ABB coupon I contacted the host before booking, just to make sure it is available and the host is responsive so I don't end up with cancellation and losing the coupon.

Laurelle3
Level 10
Huskisson, Australia

@Christine615 this type of incident happen to us about 6 years ago, we left Australia and had chosen accommodation near Waterloo station. Thinking that we would catch train from Heathrow get out at Waterloo and walk to accommodation 2 streets away with suitcase on wheels. I had printed off map and instructions in case we had  no phone reception. On arrival we had a message to pick up the key at an office foyer and given another address. I was livid with being deceived as well as being tired from travelling.  We ended up getting a taxi which took us aboutv6vstreets away. Not impressed but what do you do late at night, not knowing where you are going to end up. The accommodation was the same as photos a little run down and needed maintenance. This was one of our first Airbnb experiences. We did put this in the review. So I understand how you felt

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

I would have been livid too @Christine615.  I might have cancelled, but maybe not if I had a car.  Let us know how it turns out.  I might need a West Hollywood Airbnb in the near future since my daughter lives there now too 🙂

Stephanie365
Level 10
Fredericksburg, VA

I would report the listing as inaccurate and state that you, as a guest, relied on the general location information given in the listing and it's completely (and deliberately) incorrect.

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hey @Christine615 ,

Yikes, that sounds bloody awful. As @Stephanie365  says, have you let CS know about the dodgy addresses issue of this Host? Let me know so we can dig in.

Thanks

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

Thanks @Stephanie 

Customer Service is more stressful . I still have PTSD reporting another host (it took two weeks for them to get back to me Re: a safety issue).

Ken and I are going to check it out and report what we find. I’ll get a hotel room if it feels unsafe or isn’t what’s described. 

i did some checking and think the owner is avoiding licensing and tax issues by claiming the unit is in another area.  Stay tuned. 

@Christine615 remember, ABB thinks your best recourse in this type of situation is your review... looks like some low stars in this licensing/tax dodger's future

I am going to mention that the actual address is 2 miles away in the review.

I do wish Airbnb would have a waiting period and verify listings but I'm sure even that might be gamed by people trying to skirt the rules. I once stayed at an Airbnb where it was clear the condo association didn't know since the host had to come down and let me in. And my daughter recently stayed at a place that suggested she say she was a friend if asked by other people in the complex. She didn't see those instructions until after she checked in.

Sigh - Airbnb is becoming the wild west.

I do think the "real" apartment I rented it going to be fine. The reviews match the location of the actual place.