Violation of House Rules

Rhonda361
Level 2
Boones Mill, VA

Violation of House Rules

Hi,  My place has 4 bedrooms with 5 beds.  The entire house has 11 rooms. I can only accommodate 8 guests.   For several reasons, my city/county is strict on 8 guests due to our septic tank. It will run over if too much water goes in it in a specific time frame.  Secondly, we have a Spring, not well water or city water.  If too much is pulled on the water, it will run dry.  We have signs at each faucet explaining that we are trying to conserve our water; please do not overuse it. The rules also state no events allowed on the property.

Recently and in the recent past,  we have had guests arrive with more than what was listed on the reservation.  My listing states no more than 8 people are allowed, and the signage in the house states Max. Occupancy 8.  I counted at least 12 or 14 on a security camera at my garage on this past guest, and one day, they had at least 20 people. After checkout, I was able to get into the house.  I noticed that in the rooms that did not have beds in them, the furniture had been moved around and pushed up against the walls.  Assuming Air mattresses were brought in. The basement windows were left unlocked, and the screens were up.  All the knick knacks on the window sills had been moved off the sills and left in other places.  I assume they were climbing in through the basement at night to avoid being caught on a camera.

I contacted Airbnb, they said I could charge a fee, and I can set that fee, for every person that they brought on the property, and that I could charge them for moving furniture around and not putting it back.  In my 11 rooms, there was furniture, knick knacks, blankets, pillows etc moved all over the house. It took me an hour to put everything back in place. I did leave them a negative review and explained to them why I left the review.

My question, sorry this is so long....Anyone here ever have this problem?  How and where do I put this in my listing? House Rules?  Really not enough room to put into House Rules. Do I put it in the description?   Any ideas would be much appreciated!

Thank you!

5 Replies 5
Elena4354
Level 2
Porto, Portugal

Hello @Rhonda361, I am so sorry for your negative experience. I think this happens to a lot of hosts sometimes, unfortunately.

I can recommend that you add this information to the House Rules (there is a special place Additional Rules where you can write this important information). You can also repeat this in the Description to attract maximum attention from guests.

Also, when you see on security camera that the number of guests exceeds your maximum number of guests, I recommend that you contact Airbnb support immediately and inform them of this situation. 

Thank you @Elena4354 , great suggestions. Yes, it's sad that people don't care or respect your property. This guest had 5 5-star reviews, so I trusted them.

The problem that I have run into, is that since my house is so big and can accommodate up to 8 guests, all the other guests need to be informed about my house rules. The person that books it knows, but does not seem to share the details with the others.  I guess stating that whoever books it is responsible for letting all others know the rules?

@Rhonda361 

In my case only 1 Guest so I don't know if it works for 7 Guests.  My house rules state no unnamed Guests. every guest must be on the platform and invited.  Then most reminders I send about check in check out rules I send on the Airbnb Platform and I can send 1 to the whole group.  So nobody says I didn't know.

Great suggestion @Marie8425 !

Yes, of course!