Why can't I see my listing in the Search Results? A Community Help Guide

Why can't I see my listing in the Search Results? A Community Help Guide

Hello,

Questions regarding "Lisiting not appearning in Search Results" are very common and I'd like to share some reasons why this could be happening and how you can view your listing on searching.

Before getting to the details, it is important to understand how search results are determined. The linked article talks about how Airbnb's complex ranking system uses different factors to reward hosts that deliver a great experience to guests. Focus on these factors to optimize your listing.

Let's understand why you might not be able to see your listing in the Search Results:

1) Your location might have more than 300 listings. For ease of display, Airbnb only displays 300 listings at a time and thus some listings, beyond 300, might not appear during a general location search without any filters.

However, if you make use of the multiple search filters that Airbnb has to offer (like Dates, No. of Guests, Room type, Price Range etc.) then you can perform a more specific and narrowed down search which might reduce the search results and your listing will then show up if it matches the filter criteria.

*Please note that, most guests make use of the filters while searching for a vacation home.

123.JPG

2) You can also make use of the map by zooming in closer to your location if your looking at a very large area. Use the '+' button to zoom in and '-' to zoom out. Reducing the area will further reduce the results and you will be able to see your listing. Don't forget to click on the "Redo Search Here" button on the top.

121.JPG

If your listing still continues to not appears,

3) Check if it is "Listed" and not in the "Delisted" mode. To do this, visit your Dashboard >> Your Lisitng >> Manage Listing and Calendar. Expand the Menu options by clicking on the grey icon with 3 horizontal bars on the left top. Look up at the bottom of the Menu that emerges to see if your listing is active. It should appear as "Listed" with a green dot. If it doesn't click on the drop down menu and change it to listed.

11.JPG

4) Still can't see it? Ask the Community to see if any of the members are able to see it on searching with relevant filters.

aqa.JPG

4) Yet no luck? Please get in touch with Airbnb and they shall definitely resolve your problem.

Happy Hosting 🙂

Jeet

Updated - additional information added:

For hosts searching for your Instant Book listing@Clare0 has created a great guide here in the Community Center sharing an overview of how this works. To view her guide take a look here

217 Replies 217

Hi Cathy,

I understand what you are saying but 3 different people searched for listings in Bethersden, none of them were logged on because none of them have airbnb accounts, the three being my dentist, my friend who lives 600 miles away and my niece who lives in another country.  The dentist doesn't see my listing but my friend and my neice do.  So why is there a difference in the results they see? Why do my friend and niece see my listing and my dentist does not when none have airbnb accounts and my listing has not been altered between any of their searches as you say it is set up for IB with the requirement for potential guests to have had reviews.  

best regards Fiona 

@Fiona107  Since I don't know how your dentist searched for your listing, I cannot give you an accurate explanation.  The only reason that he would not be able to see your listing is if the search filter for Instant Book was ON.  Since he doesn't have an account with Airbnb, your listing would not appear for him.  Your friend and neice likely had the Instant Book filter set to OFF and therefore were able to see your listing albeit without the IB icon on your listing. 

In some areas of the world, Airbnb automatically sets the IB filter to ON, requiring users to turn it OFF if they don't care about booking instantly. 

It really depends on whether the search filter for Instant Book is set to ON or OFF for users who do not have accounts with Airbnb. 

If you want, ask your friend and neice whether they searched for your listing with the IB filter on or off and get back to me with what they said. 

Clare

Vanessa228
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

Hello, if I have to cancel a guest reservation how long does it take for them to get their money back?

Vanessa228
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

Hi there, I'm still having trouble finding my listing. Can someone search it for me? The listing is in Downtown Los Angeles. Entire home, 1 bedroom, 2 beds... what other info do you need to search?

@Vanessa228  I've searched for your listing before and found it easily.  How are you doing your search and what preferences (filters) are you using?  

Enter dates your listing is available, number of guests you can accommodate, any amenities you offer, and neighborhood (LA is a BIG place!).  If you set the Instant Book filter to ON, you won't see your listing unless you are logged in.  Apparently you have set the requirement that a guest have recommendations from hosts and if you are not logged in, the system won't be able to tell if you have those recommendations or not.  Note in my search I wasn't logged in and the IB filter was OFF.  Your listing appeared, but not as an Instant Book.  It would if I was logged in since I do have positive reviews from hosts. 

Here is a screenshot of my search where you can see the guest preferences I used to find your listing: 

New Downtown Apartment.JPG

Also, in answer to your previous message about how long it takes to refund a guest when their reservation is cancelled, it depends on the type of payment method used to book originally.  While the refund is released nearly instantly by Airbnb, it can take from 1 business day (PayPal) to 5 business days (most credit cards) for the money to be credited into the guest's account. 

Hope this helps!

Clare

Michael883
Level 2
Beaulieu-sur-Mer, France

Thank God I found this thread, I've been going up the walls trying to understand why my apartment no longer shows up in the search engine... 

First of all, Claire from Templeton, very nice to e-meet you. Please excuse my franchise but I've read every single post with interest and can see what's coming: I'm sure you will send a reply to say that you can find my property when you search from your home. And I'm sure you will do. But here's the problem in a nutshell (and it seems I'm not the only one suffering):

I have a lovely, cosy studio, very well situated, inexpensive, which has always been rented from May-August non-stop with no issues. It's the type of place people will book last-minute for a one, two or three-night stay. The type of guests who book will 99% of the time be on a train or in another Airbnb somewhere else in France or Italy looking for their next stop. Often I get requests from people already staying in my city. A mere 1% will be on their home computer in Templeton or wherever planning a long-term trip. So it's all fine and dandy that my advert is visible millions of miles away but no help to me if people in the immediate vicinity don't have it pulled up when they run a search. No offence to you personally Claire, but it's very frustrating to be told your accommodation is online and bookable when you KNOW there's a problem and one which you are powerless to fix.

I've been banging my head against the wall trying to explain the problem to Airbnb representatives, but they maintain that the advert is published and visible online. So why did I go from 30-odd visits per day to 0 overnight? Maybe it's a quiet period, they say. Well no, it's a bank holiday weekend at the beginning of the high season and it's more than unususal to have zero requests never mind bookings. However, they will not look into the matter further, their replies are evasive and if you push the issue they hang up on you. Very professional.

I tried the snooze on/snooze off trick but with no success unfortunately.

Can I ask: did anyone encouter this problem immediately after adding a second property to their account? I did this a week ago and wondered if this was stopping my adverts from appearing so decided to delete it yesterday. But the original advert still remains invisible.

Did anyone encounter these problems at the end/beginning of a month? My views went from 30 to zero overnight around May 30 and haven't moved since. I wonder if Airbnb have decided to purposely "rest" well-performing hosts for certain months to give newbies a chance to get a slice of the business?

These are the only two elements I can think of that might offer an explanation to this madness. Airbnb support certainly aren't going to do anything. 

And don't talk to me about Google Chrome; I've searched on google, safari, via Ipad, Iphone, mac, PC... friends have searched from their devices for me... My advert simply never shows up.

I'm not paranoid by nature but after reading all the posts on here it does seem that there is a definite campaign to "rest" certain hosts for no reason other than we are working too well (I do the instant booking, I reply quickly and my feedback rate is good... I haven't refused any requests... I manage my own pricing, maybe they want us all on their "intelligent pricing"?)

I'm kicking myself right now for putting all my eggs in one basket but many thanks to the gentleman (whose name escapes me, sorry a few pages back) who suggested a few competitor sites. I'm in the process of putting my property online via these as it seems Airbnb ain't in a hurry to help us.

If anyone has any ray of light to offer in this fiasco, please let me know, I'm losing business which is there for the taking.

Thanks a bunch Airbnb!

@Michael883, actually I can't find your listing either.  I've spent about an hour doing so.  You say you snoozed and unsnoozed.  What is your listing status right now?  Does it say "Listed"? 

Michael883
Level 2
Beaulieu-sur-Mer, France

Hi Clare, yes I have gone back to 'Listed' status. Advert still invisible on searches. There is not much accommodation remaining in my immediate neighbourhood tonight and yet my place is not even offered. Really don't understand why.

@Michael883  One last question:  Have you updated any new photos in the last few days?

Michael883
Level 2
Beaulieu-sur-Mer, France

No, none at all. As I posted earlier, I did add a property for rental about 10 days ago (separate listing linked to the same account). I did wonder if this had something to do with the issue (as the second property was not being referenced in searches either), so I deleted the second advert yesterday. The first, however, still remains invisible.

@Michael883  the listing that I see associated with your profile is www.airbnb.com/rooms/3074524.  Is this the one that you wanted to be active? Do you still have the web link to the listing you deleted?

If so, I can't think of any reason why your listing is not appearing in search results other than the fact that you are using Apple's logo as your profile picture.  It is possible that someone might have objected to this and flagged your listing to be reviewed by Trust and Safety and it has been made unavailable pending review.   I would suggest that you change your profile picture to one that shows your face. 

Michael883
Level 2
Beaulieu-sur-Mer, France

Yes, that is the listing, and it is actually 'Active', just not being referenced by the search engine. Unfortunately I don't have a link to the deleted listing. I will happily change my photo, but if this had been objected to and a review in process would I not have been notified by email by Airbnb? And why would they not say so when I wrote to and called the help centre (on several occasions) to ask for help? I specifically asked them if there was a problem with the content of my listing that needed to be changed and they replied that no, the listing was ok and visible to users. Incidentally on a number of occasions I was told that the problem was passed onto "somebody else", who would investigate and get back to me...until now nobody has, neither by phone or by email.

@Michael883  I'm just guessing about the Apple logo profile.  If, in fact, your listing was flagged for review by Trust and Safety, they should reach out to you, but they might have a back log.  Do you know how long your listing hasn't appeared in search results?

Michael883
Level 2
Beaulieu-sur-Mer, France

My last booking request was on 30 May, and I have had zero page consultations since 31 May. So I'm guessing it stopped appearing in search results some time then. I have been contacting Airbnb since Thursday evening about this but they refuse to acknowledge there is a problem. Surely if the listing was flagged for review the Help Centre staff would have access to this information and be able to advise me?

@Michael883, I checked today and you come up on the first page of listings on just "Nice, France".  I didn't input any dates or other filters. Here's the screenshot:

I have to say only one of these photos is attractive to me at all....they are all gray gray gray, colorless, etc. and unremarkable. who cares about a gray couch, of which there are two?  Only the one with the view of the sea would appeal to me. 

Screenshot 2017-06-15 10.27.34.png