Why can't I see my listing in the Search Results? A Community Help Guide

Why can't I see my listing in the Search Results? A Community Help Guide

Hello,

Questions regarding "Lisiting not appearning in Search Results" are very common and I'd like to share some reasons why this could be happening and how you can view your listing on searching.

Before getting to the details, it is important to understand how search results are determined. The linked article talks about how Airbnb's complex ranking system uses different factors to reward hosts that deliver a great experience to guests. Focus on these factors to optimize your listing.

Let's understand why you might not be able to see your listing in the Search Results:

1) Your location might have more than 300 listings. For ease of display, Airbnb only displays 300 listings at a time and thus some listings, beyond 300, might not appear during a general location search without any filters.

However, if you make use of the multiple search filters that Airbnb has to offer (like Dates, No. of Guests, Room type, Price Range etc.) then you can perform a more specific and narrowed down search which might reduce the search results and your listing will then show up if it matches the filter criteria.

*Please note that, most guests make use of the filters while searching for a vacation home.

123.JPG

2) You can also make use of the map by zooming in closer to your location if your looking at a very large area. Use the '+' button to zoom in and '-' to zoom out. Reducing the area will further reduce the results and you will be able to see your listing. Don't forget to click on the "Redo Search Here" button on the top.

121.JPG

If your listing still continues to not appears,

3) Check if it is "Listed" and not in the "Delisted" mode. To do this, visit your Dashboard >> Your Lisitng >> Manage Listing and Calendar. Expand the Menu options by clicking on the grey icon with 3 horizontal bars on the left top. Look up at the bottom of the Menu that emerges to see if your listing is active. It should appear as "Listed" with a green dot. If it doesn't click on the drop down menu and change it to listed.

11.JPG

4) Still can't see it? Ask the Community to see if any of the members are able to see it on searching with relevant filters.

aqa.JPG

4) Yet no luck? Please get in touch with Airbnb and they shall definitely resolve your problem.

Happy Hosting 🙂

Jeet

Updated - additional information added:

For hosts searching for your Instant Book listing@Clare0 has created a great guide here in the Community Center sharing an overview of how this works. To view her guide take a look here

217 Replies 217
Joyce80
Level 2
Floyd, VA

I know this is an older posting, but I do think I understand how the searches work, but one of my listings does not show when there are no filters or dates - or when there are appropriate filters and available dates. On my own, I had already done every step you suggested, including going around in circles with Airbnb support - through long phone calls and messages. I do have instant book on, but I do not have additional guest requirements. I do have two listings at the same address (one customer support person thought this was the issue - but that doesn't make sense to me. One listing is whole house - which is one option and another is private room, - I have the calendars synced, but the times that the private rooms aren't showing are not times the whole house is booked. I am a new host, but I am a pretty intelligent individual - and no one seems to be giving an answer that applies to me. Can you help?

@Joyce80. Couldn't resist searching for your listings.  They're there!

Here's your Entire Home: 

Fiddlesticks.jpeg

And the Private Room listing: 

Fiddlesticks Private Room.jpeg

Both listings look to be very new (I can tell by the listing numbers) and my guess was that you were searching for them shortly after publishing.  It can take up to 72 hours for new listings to be vetted by Airbnb and during that time they won't show in search results. 

So, you're all good now!!

Clare

Thanks Clare - they have been listed for weeks- way past 72 hours. The problem is - the individual house isn't showing up for many available dates. I have had folks searching for sample ones. The dates you selected do show up. Would you mind trying dates in November? For instance, November 4-5 is available, but isn't showing up for people. Does it for you? If it does, then I am stumped why it's hit or miss. Three people have searched November dates and not had it show up.

One more thing, Clare. If dates are not put in at all - say someone is flexible when they can come and just want to see what options are in Floyd in general - then the listing is not showing up. If someone has no filters and no dates - shouldn't all available lisitngs show up?

Hi again @Joyce80!  Yes, I found your listing for November 5 to November 6.  If you entered Nov. 4 -5 that would represent a one night stay and you require 2 nights.  🙂

Fiddlesticks 4.jpeg

As to your second question, a search without dates is relatively meaningless and, no, not all listings will necessarily show in results.  It would be like searching the internet to buy a car without indicating make, model, year, used or new.   That said, I did a search without dates and again found your Entire Home. Seems that there aren't many listings in Floyd.  But at the other extreme, consider that Paris has 80,000 listings and a search without dates will certainly not display them all.  What will show in results are essentially samplings which may or may not suit the guests travel plans.  

This link is really helpful: 

http://blog.atairbnb.com/how-search-makes-the-best-matches/

Since I cannot look over your shoulder to see how you are doing your search, all I can do is tell you my methodology for searching for listings hosts say they cannot find.

1. I look at the host's listing through their profile in the Community Center (I have to be logged in to do this).  This way I know what I am looking for and get the particulars of the listing (property type, dates available, number of guests it can accommodate, etc.)

2. Since Airbnb remembers listings that a user previously looked at, I then switch to a Private Window, sometimes called Incognito Window.  I then enter the particulars, also called guest preferences, that match the details of the listing.  I am not logged in to Airbnb when I do the search since I don't want Airbnb to know I already looked at your listing.  This way cookies, for example, are not influencing the search results. 

Most likely, now that you mention specific dates in your message, your listing is not showing because you need to enter check in and check out dates that cover your minimum stay requirement.  

I use a Mac with Safari as the internet browser. 

See if you can replicate how I did my search (your browser may be different, but it shouldn't matter).

Clare - thanks again. I am talking about the search for my home in the private room section - it is a separate listing. I know the whole house listing is showing up.  The listing for the private rooms does not have a two night minimum, only one night. I don't care so much about the search without a date, though it doesn't make sense why everything wouldn't show up in a small area like this. I understand that Airbnb shows a maximum number of listings for that, but this isn't a big area. I am more concerned that the private rooms (which will be my main income in this area- rather than the large whole house event listing) do not show up on many searches. The November dates - or any in Nov for that matter - are all open and the private room listing is not showing up for November dates that we throw in.  What am I missing?

@Clare As I think this through, could there be something with the fact that my calendars are synced and one of them has a 2 day requirement? I am going to do some playing around things and see what effect it has.

@Joyce80. Let me know what you find out, but I wouldn't think that having different minimum stay requirements would be a problems, but you never know!

@Joyce80 Your private room is showing for November 4 - 5, one night.  Floyd Private Room .jpeg

I really can't say why you can't see it.  :(.     It pops right up for me and will also for your guests.  

I sure am glad that it is for you - but it sure hadn't earlier for three people trying. I'll have them try again and see if something has changed!

@Joyce80 Ok.  Be sure to tell your friends to enter dates you have availble and the number of guests either listing can accommodate as well a property type. 

@Joyce80, some people have had luck by snoozing their listings briefly. Then unsnoozing them.  No one knows why this works. But sometimes it does. Maybe it's like rebooting your computer... Give it a try! 

@Susie5@Joyce80. Nah, that won't do it.  I can see Joyce's listings just fine.  The problem is at her end since the guest facing search results show her listings. 

My guest from last night, contacted me about having trouble finding it. My out of town daughter looked and didn't have it come up for 2 guests, when it should have. I think they may have been doing it with many filters on (#beds, bedrooms, bath) so perhaps that is it? 

@Clare0@Joyce80, i did try searching on my phone and they didn't come up.....