sharing the apartment I live in

Jhansi0
Level 1
Hyderabad, India

sharing the apartment I live in

I want to rent a 2bedroom apartment. I will then host one bed room on airbnb and I will live in another bedroom. I am based out in Toronto. Is it doable to host the same apartment we live-in on airbnb? Any thoughts and ideas please?

3 Replies 3
Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

Yes, it is possible if you can find an apartment that is suitable for that purpose.

You will need express written permission from the landlord to do it. Many leases do not allow it, and many municipalities now are making laws to curtail short-term rentals.

I would suggest that you look for a small privately owned house or condo rather than an apartment.

Neill23
Level 2
Airdrie, Canada

We have stayed in ABBs set up like this in multiple cities/countries, albeit none in (Oh!) Canada.  As long as your lease / the building allows you to do so, I don't see why not?  It's a great way to offset your cost of housing

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Jhansi0  Of course, there are plenty of home-share hosts. That was what the original Airbnbs were. People renting out entire homes came after that and in fact is what has led many jurisdictions to ban Airbnbs or have strict regulations and not allow under 30 day rentals- when people buy up houses to rent short term,  it can lead to locals who live and work in an area no longer being able to find affordable housing.

However, very few landlords will allow subletting, which is what listing a room on Airbnb is, so it may not be much of an option for you.