[New] Community Center Social Online Meetup: May 29th

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

[New] Community Center Social Online Meetup: May 29th

Food.jpg

Hello everyone,

Our pet themed  meetup last Friday was really fun, thanks to those who could make it, I feel we all learnt a lot about animals we've seen in our local area! Once again it is fantastic to see the conversation carrying on in the CC and all the wonderful photos. I know many of you couldn't make it and so we will host another pet themed meetup in the upcoming weeks. 🙂

This week, we are back an APAC friendly timezone. Our next social meetup will be:

Friday May 29th, 12PM (UK time)*

*Timezones:

Friday May 29th, 7AM (New York / Toronto)

Friday May 29th, 1PM (Spain)

Friday May 29th, 8PM (Seoul)

Friday May 29th, 9PM (Sydney)

Friday May 29th, 11PM (Auckland)

If you would like to join, please register before the start time using this specific link (this link changes each week so if you have registered before, you will need to do it again - sorry): https://airbnb.zoom.us/meeting/register/tJMkf-CprTIpHNAs5n8LfcyxAyEE76t6FuGN

Not sure how to use Zoom? Check out this CC guide

New to CC socials: For anyone new to the socials, it's a weekly online meetup where CC members come together to connect with each other and have a bit of positivity along the way. It's not specifically Airbnb focused and anyone new is very very welcome.  

Theme: we all liked the sound of a food theme when we discussed this in our last meetup. Although I am quite happy to talk about it for hours, it might be good for us to narrow it down a little. Perhaps one week we could all try cooking something together??

A couple of ideas I had for this week:  a) Share what our traditional food is from our local area b) any food discoveries during lockdown c) favourite recipes. 

If you have any ideas relating to food which you think would be interesting and enjoyable for the group, please do share below and/or select one of a, b or c. 🙂 

Looking forward to hearing from you. I hope you can make it. 

Thanks so much,

Lizzie

@Cathie19@Lawrene0@Robin4@Melodie-And-John0@Clara116@Christine615@Jessica-and-Henry0@Ann72@Kimberly29@Roberta2@Stephanie, @Quincy, @Gordon0, @Sandra126@Helen3@Helen350@Yvonne609 , @Manasui0@Kemi9,  @Marissa107@Wave-Autumn-Vine0,  @Ryan350@Suzanne302@Ria16,  @Ozge5@Rochelle12@Jason1350@Ann489@Yadira22@Alexandra316

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

45 Replies 45
Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Lizzie @Jessica-and-Henry0 @Sandra126 @Cathie19 @Alexandra316 @Christine615 @Stephanie  Oh no!  Turns out it's my first day out of quarantine, and the "senior hour" at the grocery store is the same hour as the meet-up.  So that's where I'll be.  I'll go to a lunch stand for a lobster roll in your honor, or drop in by phone if I can get service and show you the "Maine made" section!  🙂

@Ann72I'm not really down with the seafood, so I'm picturing a lobster roll being like the Easter egg roll... lobster races would be amazing. 

@Alexandra316 Ha!  You got me curious, so I've discovered there's an annual lobster race in South Carolina!  In Maine, they have this:  https://www.mainelobsterfestival.com/main-events/lobster-crate-race/

If we ever meet up at lunchtime, I'll log in from Bagaduce Lunch and show everyone a lobster roll.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Aww we will miss you @Ann72, but this sounds like a very valid alternative after all these months...I would take your ID though, I doubt they will think you qualify for "senior hour". 

Love the idea of you tuning in from the store, I'm picturing you having your own section in the meetup and we go to Ann...live from the grocery store to give us a live update on lobster rolls. 🙂 

I hope it goes ok. 

--------------------

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

@Lizzie  Thank you for that compliment!  Alas, I wasn't stopped at the door.  😞

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Ann72 @Lizzie I'm cracking up here this morning.....been busy and haven't been on here to read all the comments......Ann we had the senior hour thing at the stores here and in Fl. it was a complete nightmare, my husband went and said NEVER again, they didn't keep distance, they were not masked, and too many all at once....he said it was scary - so he goes like at the oddest time and that works out. So good luck friend and I love the idea.....take us to the store with you and if folks don't keep a distance or if they are in your way, just let us handle it for you!!! What do you think Ann? We'd be live at the store from all over the globe - how cool would that be. We can help you shop - it might be great cause we can assist if there's something you for Sure do not wanna put in your cart - we can help you out!! 

please even for 10 mins. take us along - knowing you it would be awesome. Good luck out there.....

Its early here now 4am and coffee is the theme of the time.......later comes cereal....BUT, since we are organic gardeners, well my husband David is, we have tomatoes covering half the table - and so breakfast, lunch, dinner could be sliced tomato sandwich, veggies lightly stir fried, everything with tomatoes about 6 kinds, homegrown garlic, onion, peppers about 4 kinds and 3 kinds of beans - so for a person (me) that never liked or spent time in the kitchen - seems to be what's happening - I'm learning canning, freezing much and in another week we will go to the blueberry farm where we will pick about 25-30 lbs. of blueberries and I will flash freeze them so they last all year. We did about 25 lbs last yr and are on the final 2 bags. Plus, when you pick em it cost only $1 -2 a lb. So for the blueberry enthusiasts it doesn't get better. See you guys soon.    Ann, we wanna join shopping for a couple minutes! Peace all, Clara

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello everyone,

Just a reminder about the social meetup which will be starting shortly, where we will be discussing our local food delights. 

Thanks to those of you who have already registered, here is the link for those of you who haven't. 

Looking forward to seeing you. 

Lizzie

@Cathie19@Lawrene0@Robin4@Melodie-And-John0@Clara116@Christine615@Jessica-and-Henry0@Ann72@Kimberly29@Roberta2@Stephanie, @Quincy, @Gordon0, @Sandra126@Helen3@Helen350@Yvonne609 , @Manasui0@Kemi9,  @Marissa107@Wave-Autumn-Vine0,  @Ryan350@Suzanne302@Ria16,  @Ozge5@Rochelle12@Jason1350@Ann489@Yadira22@Alexandra316

--------------------

@Lizzie 

Y'all have fun! Friday creeped up on me this week (we had a 4 day work week here in the US) and I forgot to bring my laptop!

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

@Lizzie , @Ann72 , @Clara116 , @Clara116 , @Alexandra316 

Rushing rushing through the door to be part of this meeting tonight.

Okay you mob, I haven’t got anything to show, as I’ve eaten it! We went for an early dinner at our historical Stokes Hill Wharf where everyone enjoyed lava fresh cooked fare. ((Originally built late 1800s, then bombed by the Japanese in 1942, then the latest was rebuilt in the 1950s.

I had a chicken laksa, Garry a spicy pork dish, another friend some local calamari and chips, the other two some stir fry dishes.

Darwin being the Australian “gateway” to Asia, means we have the best of foods with the wonderful seafoods and multicultural combinations.  

Stir frying squid or cooking our locally prized fish of barramundi are really the local dishes. Not to mention crocodile burgers! I could go on.......... Here are some links for your interest.DADEF4CA-30F8-43BB-89D6-967BAB43F8E1.jpeg528AD2F6-F313-4C34-9D54-18EA7844E7CB.jpeg74249D0C-58A8-4C7E-9E25-C8F3AE20CE99.jpegFF010BBF-6682-4587-B56B-AC4A4BB8B1BB.jpeg064E6780-8696-432F-9954-DCC6D7DF69E3.jpegED410BF5-8540-4205-9F05-97F5112DBF8E.jpeg2A296FC1-65D8-49C6-A3B6-C5FC62EC89B3.jpeg4F9FBABE-AC70-4521-AB29-5CD1DD0C1350.jpeg20478CE7-1287-4891-A0BF-9F154ACE3109.jpeg

If you are able to watch SBS on demand, depending on your geographical location: 

Jimmy Shu has been an award winning chef and has a restaurant Hanuman, in Darwin for 29 years: now at 71 he has a series on tv, on SBS on Demand (App)- “The taste of the Territory.”

Stokes Hill Wharf

Barramundi fish

NOT “lava”, as that’s a typing error. It should read “local”.

Great to catch up and see you :-))

Talking about food is always so much fun~~ Henry always teases me it's my favorite F word.

(hope I didn't miss anyone~~) 

@Lizzie @Cathie19@Lawrene0@Clara116@Christine615@Ann72@Kimberly29@Roberta2, @Quincy, @Alexandra316,

So before I put my pouches away I took photos~

KakaoTalk_20200529_213519005.jpgKakaoTalk_20200529_213519005_01.jpg

Lucky I remembered taking a shot of my dinner a couple weeks ago!!!! My mom wanted to know what I was eating...... and wanted proof it was not instant noodles. When I told her dinner was samgyetang, she insisted on a photo. And the gamjatang photo was one I took at a restaurant a while back..... Henry was just saying he was craving gamjatang and a few coworkers and I had just decided on our lunch menu so I sent Henry the photo to make him jealous. Fyi~ many Koreans like to have gamjatang as a hangover stew! Lol~~

Samgyetang from the pouchSamgyetang from the pouchAt a gamjatang restaurant for lunchAt a gamjatang restaurant for lunch

Here are some links for those who want to know more about these two dishes. 

https://www.seriouseats.com/2019/04/how-to-make-samgyetang-korean-chicken-rice-soup.html

https://mykoreankitchen.com/gamjatang-pork-bone-soup/

For anyone interested in trying the Korean Style *soups in the pouches* I went to Amazon.com to check and looks like there are some options out there!!!!! (unfortunately not much on Amazon.co.uk)

Enter search word "bibigo soup" - https://www.amazon.com/s?k=bibigo+soup&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

Bibigo is a well-known local brand - http://www.bibigo.com/en

In Korean, bibigo means "mix (food/ingredients) together well" . For those familiar with Korean food, I'm sure you've heard of *bibimbap* 

You can check out and read the descriptions of all the different kinds of soups - and try whatever seems good to you. At home, Henry's preferred brand for frozen mandu (dumplings) is bibigo, we either pan-fry or throw a bunch in the air-fryer. 

gamjatang.JPGsamgyetang.JPG

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Lizzie @Cathie19  @Lawrene0 @Christine615 @Quincy @Clara116 @Jessica-and-Henry0 @Roberta2 @Ann489 @Kimberly29 it was great to see you all! Sorry I had to duck out: wish that I'd gotten to see and hear about everyone's food! Hope to make it again next week. It was fun!

Also, if anyone is interested, here are the Airbnb experiences I attended: 

https://www.airbnb.ca/experiences/1321334 - Meditation with Sleepy Sheep in Scotland

https://www.airbnb.ca/experiences/1652939 - Sangria and Secrets with Drag Queens in Portugal

I can't find the tamale experience: it's possible he's paused it while he tweaks it. He had some technical challenges. 

@Lizzie @Cathie19  @Lawrene0  @Quincy @Clara116 @Jessica-and-Henry0 @Roberta2 @Ann489 @Kimberly29 @Alexandra316 

It is always such a treat to see you all. You feel like an extended family. Hope you have a great weekend. Here's photos I took last week when I was learning to make the coddled eggs using the Royal Worcester egg cups I found at an estate sale.f

And loved the fun "food in a bag" laughs. Honestly - sometimes it's better than my cooking. Will have to go to the market and see if I can find the Korean soups!

Hugs to all. Stay safe out there!

One egg plus whatever you want to add. I used basil, ham and  put cheese on top.One egg plus whatever you want to add. I used basil, ham and put cheese on top.Boil in water (only halfway up)Boil in water (only halfway up)I like mine hard boiled so about 14 minutes.I like mine hard boiled so about 14 minutes.