An update on changes to the Strict cancellation policy

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

An update on changes to the Strict cancellation policy

Hello everyone,

We recently announced that we’re updating our Strict cancellation policy. Starting May 1, 2018, guests will have the option to cancel for free within 48 hours of booking, as long as their check-in date is at least 14 days away.

In response to this announcement, many of you voiced concerns about Airbnb sharing your details with guests who may cancel. We take your privacy very seriously, so thank you for that feedback—it inspired important updates that give you more control over when your listing details and contact information are shared with guests.  

Here’s how we’re addressing your concerns

You can choose not to share your address, phone number, and last name with guests during the period that they can cancel for free. Guests will never see these details if they cancel their reservation during the free cancellation window.

To use this feature, go to Listing > Listing details > Edit location in your Airbnb account. Under Visibility for booked guests, check the box next to Share details with guests after the free cancellation period.  

Grace Period.png

This feature will be available to all hosts on May 1, regardless of their cancellation policy (Strict, Flexible, Moderate). And just in case you missed the announcement, here’s what’s changing for hosts who have a Strict cancellation policy:

• Guests will get a full refund if they cancel within 48 hours of booking, as long as their check-in date is at least 14 days away. This means that even if a guest books a reservation months in advance, they’re only able to get a full refund if they cancel within the first 48 hours after booking.  
  • Guests can only get 3 full refunds per year. After that, guests will no longer be able to cancel for free.
  • To discourage guests from making multiple reservations for the same dates and then cancelling, overlapping reservations aren’t eligible for a full refund.

This change helps hosts with a Strict cancellation policy compete with listings that offer guests more flexibility. Guests feel more confident booking reservations that give them room to make changes or fix booking mistakes immediately. The updated policy gives guests this flexibility, but only for 48 hours after they book.

Airbnb is committed to the success of all hosts and we know changes impact how you work. We don’t make changes like these without extensive testing, and after we change the policy on May 1st, we’ll continue to monitor the impact by providing the grace period to a portion of guests before making it available to all guests. As we roll this out, we’ll continue to listen to your valuable feedback.

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

233 Replies 233
Sara1365
Level 1
Hobart, Australia

We had a strict booking that cancelled and they had taken a pay some now some later option when booking....we only got paid out there first instalment....this doesn't seem right, helpdesk was no help and promised to call back but hasn't.

Varun40
Level 2
Mumbai, India

Nicely thought through policy.I agree.

Leilani16
Level 2
Charlevoix, MI

Why isnt Airbnb just making that information invisible on their end in programming for every listing including wifi and contact on all accounts until the 48 hour grace period ends?  Seems like a safety issue that could potentially become a nightmare.  One would think that Airbnb would want to make sure everyone is safe.  People miss these types of changes and dont manually change things.  I just came upon this and already its the 7th of the month.

Leilani16
Level 2
Charlevoix, MI

What is the deal  with your strick cancellation policy.  Used to be 60 days then no refund.  Now we just had a cancellation on a booking for May 13-20 in Hawaii property and Airbnb refunded 50%.  People plan their trips to Hawaii way in advance and now we have an open week that will be near impossible to fill. We didnt agree to that change so Airbnb should pay us the 50% we lost.   Shame on you Airbnb!!  Give control back to the people to set a cancellation policy that works for their business...not yours.

Budi9
Level 1
Bali, Indonesia

I'm confused I have to agree or not

SuomenSatu0
Level 2
Lieksa, Finland

Thank you, Lizzie. I vote for the stricked cancellation policy.
Grace period, I guess, would be enough to set up to 24 hours to my mind.

Meredith105
Level 2
New York, NY

@Lizzie   Please invite me to join Super Strict 30 days Cancellation or Super Strict 60 days Cancellation.  I own a SEASONAL RENTAL PROPERTY.  Cancellations affect my income.  

Nick734
Level 1
England, United Kingdom

@Lizzie   I'm in the same boat. We signed up to Airbnb in March and I selected the super strict 30 or 60day option. I happened to check it recently and noticed the UPDATED box next to strict... with no other notification! After a quick help search I quickly landed on this thread. Please invite me to join Super Strict 30 days Cancellation or Super Strict 60 days Cancellation.  I own a SEASONAL RENTAL PROPERTY.  Cancellations affect my income.  

Anna2404
Level 2
Melbourne, Australia

Hi AirBnB and lovely community,

I've just had a guest cancel 8 days prior to check in and have been alerted they will receive a full refund, yet they booked months ago and I have my cancellation policy set to strict (as below).

I can't locate a way to contact AirBnB to review/rectify this, as my assumption is we should be receiving 50% refund.. love some advice from anyone who can assist?

"Full refund for cancellations made within 48 hours of booking, if the check-in date is at least 14 days away. 50% refund for cancellations made at least 7 days before check-in. No refunds for cancellations made within 7 days of check-in."

Many thanks,

Anna

Jacqueline315
Level 2
Cottesloe, Australia

I don't like the way Airbnb has changed the "Strict" Cancellation Policy. It defeats the meaning of the word Strict. We hosts had elected this option so that guests who booked this way, accepted the terms. But then Airbnb went ahead and changed the terms. I just lost a guest this way and it just made me realize how much you've taken the power away from we hosts in favour of guests. I don't think it's fair at all. There are other options for Hosts who don't want or care for the Strict policy.  But the Strict policy should have been left alone. Not all busy Hosts want to be devoting time to warmly welcoming guests online who are secretly shopping around,

I couldn't agree more. To make  matters worse, I just spoke to an Airbnb support team member who informed me the "Super Strict" policy that was once offered to all hosts, is now only available to hosts who own multiple listings! So, we hosts who only own one property, are being penalized for not being financially important enough to Airbnb. Owners who own multiple properties, have a much better chance at balancing out a loss of booking from one home, since they potentially have other properties that are being rented. Note that Airbnb keeps their fee no matter what, really biased & inexcusable on Airbnb's part. Guests have options, the cancelation policies that properties require are transparent, so what harm was there in giving owners the  options of super strict cancelation policies?  I would encourage you all to write to Airbnb's feedback center & let them know how you feel. If we want to be heard, we need to be sure were getting our voices to Airbnb.

Judith248
Level 2
Stafford, GB

The usual Airbnb autocracy!

Especially, why is it that guests can do this three times a year whereas hosts can't cancel even once without losing their superhost status for 12-months?! Not a fair playing field, as usual!

Suzana81
Level 1
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

É importante colocar a politica de cancelamento atualizada, a minha escolha é da política rigorosa. 

Obrigado

Suzana Lima 

Suzana81
Level 1
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Minha escolha é a politica de cancelamento rigorosa. 

Obrigado 

JeanMarc30
Level 1
Cape Town, ZA

listen everybody,i am on on strisct bookings and now thet have got a new one where you discount the guests for 10% as a security of a cancellation and full refund.

1/my place is woth the price i think its worth,people take it or not.

2 i have got an issue right now with a person who booked for 6 days to relax and canceled only the day before stating he had to go back to germany for his job as a photographer.

3/so his res changed only for 2 days and di not want to pay an other day as a good gesture from me instead the 6 days.

4/actually the used the house for a fashion shoot all afternoon and left the house after one night without telling me anything.

4/my house for half day shoot is r 12 000,so i am wondering what was the booking about from 1 day to 6 and ther are willing to pay 2 days.

5/well no way and my house is copyrighted and any shoot in my place is reserved and liable of breach of contract as a rental for leisure.