Answers to your Airbnb Plus Questions

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Answers to your Airbnb Plus Questions

Hello everyone,

Since the launch of Airbnb Plus in February, there’s been a flurry of interest in our new program. The Airbnb team has heard you and would like to answer some of the most common questions we’ve seen over the last few weeks.

Check them out, then let us know your thoughts.

Will Airbnb Plus take bookings away from listings not in the program?

We’ve been following the performance of Airbnb listings since launch on February 22nd. So far we haven’t seen any identifiable change to the total number of bookings non-Airbnb Plus listings have gotten. Homes in the program have seen significantly more pages views and nights booked when compared to similar, non-Airbnb Plus listings. In short, Airbnb Plus has been successful, but has not had an effect on other listings to date.

Airbnb Plus was inspired by hosts and created to highlight all the great work they’ve done. It’s also for guests looking for extra reassurance, and will hopefully encourage new guests to try Airbnb for the first time. This means more guests for everyone.

Why aren't all Airbnb Plus hosts Superhosts?

The reason some Airbnb Plus hosts may not be Superhosts yet is because you need to have ten completed stays to become a Superhost and only one to join Airbnb Plus. The biggest difference between Superhost and Airbnb Plus are the home requirements. Each Airbnb Plus home is verified in person for thoughtful design, comfort, extra cleanliness, and care.

I don’t have an impeccably designed home. Does that mean I can’t join Airbnb Plus?

While we do have a high bar for design, we’re also style-agnostic and welcoming of a range of different styles, as long as they’re thoughtfully done. We strive for every Airbnb Plus home to reflect the personality of its host, and we’ve worked hard to find amazing listings with a unique story. But we’re just getting started. If you’re a host that needs a little extra help, we can offer interior design advice and styling tips to help you meet the requirements.

Why is there a fee to apply for Airbnb Plus? Will I get my money back if my application is declined?

The one-time, non-refundable fee of $149 is to help cover the cost of your in-person home visit and personalized home report. If you meet our Airbnb Plus requirements, you’ll also get professional photography, editorial tips on how to best describe your listing, and access to premium customer support. The value of these services is much greater than $149, but we believe the investment in the host community is more than worth it.

Because the fee covers the home visit, it’s charged when you schedule. If we’ve asked you to schedule a home visit, we already feel you’re a good fit for Airbnb Plus. After the visit, you may be asked to complete some final updates or fixes to get your space ready for the program. In the rare instance that a home is declined, it's usually because the host misrepresented their home in some way, such as telling us they have a private bathroom when they actually don't.

Is Airbnb Plus a way to introduce more property managers or hotels and move away from traditional hosts?

The host community is what makes Airbnb possible and the Plus program was created with traditional Airbnb hosts in mind. We’re definitely not moving away from traditional hosts. In fact, in the areas where Airbnb Plus is available, the average number of listings each Airbnb Plus host manages currently mirrors those not in the program.

Why are Airbnb Plus listings only available in certain cities?

To make Airbnb Plus successful for everyone, we want to start small and work with hosts along the way. We’ll grow and evolve the program with feedback from our community. We have plans to make Airbnb Plus available in as many places as possible, including non-urban areas.

Why are Superhost listings not featured the same way as Airbnb Plus listings?

The Airbnb Plus home requirements mean that hosts invest significant time and effort into joining the program. They go through an 100+ point inspection as part of their home visit, which helps us capture more ways to showcase their home.

In addition to launching new Superhost benefits, we’re also testing how to best represent the variety of programs hosts can be a part of, such as Superhost, and collections like Family and Work. Through these new options, we’re hoping to encourage more guests to try Airbnb and make it easier to attract guests looking for a home like yours.

If I want to be Plus host, why do I have to have a private bathroom for each room?

Based on guest research, we’ve learned that a crucial element of a comfortable stay is privacy. That’s why private rooms on Airbnb Plus are required to have private bathrooms.  Right now, Airbnb Plus is available for private rooms with private bathrooms and entire homes, but we’re looking to expand to more categories in the future.

Guests love my listing because I have something unique (a great view, high-quality bath products, etc.). Can I be a Plus host?

We’ve done extensive research around which elements make up a great stay. For years, hosts have shared what works for them, and guests have told us about the amenities and standards they feel are important. The requirements of Airbnb Plus include many of these best practices.  

We love that you have something special that makes your listing stand out. But you do need to meet the eligibility requirements and go through the verification process to join the program. If you have an eligible listing and are in an Airbnb Plus market, you can request an invite. If not, there are a variety of other ways to help your home stand out on Airbnb, and even more to come.

What happens if an Airbnb Plus requirement is not possible in my country? For example, if the wifi speed is slow due to location.

As Airbnb Plus grows and evolves, we’d appreciate your input on issues like this. You’re the expert on what’s available and appropriate in your area. We've already updated our criteria based on host feedback, so please share your thoughts and we’ll consider it moving forward.

Thanks for reading! If you want to learn even more about Airbnb Plus, check out Airbnb CEO and Head of Community, Brian Chesky’s latest answers in the Global Host Q&A. And please keep sharing your questions and feedback.

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

21 Replies 21
Guy139
Level 1
Nashville, TN

Hi, I’m interested in becoming a Airbnb Plus home when it becomes available in my area. There is a good amount of info about what requirements must be met to qualify but very little about what advantages it gives me. My question to you is besides dedicated support and potential extra views what can I expect it to add to my bottom line as a host? Will I able to price higher than other host, will I be able to book guest that meet higher standards than a set now? 

Jim322
Level 1
Louisville, KY

@Lizzie Hello! I love the idea of Airbnb Plus. But I have a question as a guest: Is it possible to filter for Airbnb Plus listings only? In other words, let's say I'm looking for a place in Rome; I can filter for entire place, washer/dryer, etc. But it doesn't appear I can choose to only see Airbnb Plus listings. Or am I missing something?

Dave-and-Deb0
Level 10
Edmonton, Canada

Great post @Lizzie

Any idea how one becomes an inspector for Airbnb Plus?

I would love to know.  

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

Mary490
Level 2
Austin, TX

We have been a plus host for a couple of months now. The most frustrating thing about this so called next level service as a host is the lack of direct support. It has built a wall between the host and the support team servicing them. We recently had an issue regarding wanting to add an external photo of our listing, something that was omitted as it was raining the day the photographer took photos. This seems to be impossible to do even though many prospective guests have asked for an external photo. We believe we are losing many bookings because of this! We call support, they contact ‘Plus’ support and then ‘Plus’ support get back to support and then support get back to us!!!!! Please allow us to add just one photo that is approved by Airbnb Plus team (whoever they are???) that’s all we ask. Hilarious!!! I truly was sold The ‘plus’ concept as a way for us to increase our bookings and in return we would maintain impeccable standards. This is clearly not the case as it stands. We seem to be doing a lot of hard work for the same bottom line as pre Plus!

Donna377
Level 2
Glenbrook, Australia

Since hte intriduction of airbnb plus unfortunately my enquiries have declined dramatically as you now have to scroll right down the page to see my listings.  I am very dissappointed that it appears airbnb plus's from 100kms away from the searched area come up before my lisitings in the searched area do.    Very dissappointing Airbnb.  

The average punter does not realise that they need to scroll down the page to see the listings in the area that are not airbnb pluses.  So if someone searches my area (Penrith) they are presented a hundred or more airbnb pluses most of which are 50-100km away.  I assume they then look elsewhere assuming that there is nothing local.  Seems airbnb no longer wants budget accommodation on their site.

Laurie161
Level 3
Hamilton, Canada

I've seen a number of posts asking for a list of cities to be included in the Airbnb Plus program - but have seen no answers.

Can someone please direct me to - or let me know if such an announcement is forthcoming?

Cor3
Level 10
Langerak, South Holland, Netherlands

Hi @Laurie161,

You can find the list of cities here: https://www.airbnb.com/plus/host (at the bottom of the page).