Update: June 19th 1PM San Francisco time, 9pm UK time - The Live Q&A has now ended.

Thank you very much for joining, the session has now ended. Over the next few days we will post a topic with all the questions and answers from today’s Q&A here in the CC, so you have them to hand.

Hello everyone,

Welcome to the Live Q&A session!

You may have seen our recent announcement telling you what this is all about, however as a quick recap, this is a live Q&A for our global community members with a member of the Airbnb team.

This is very exciting as it will be the first time we run a live Q&A in the Community Center. During the event on June 19th you will have the opportunity to be ask your questions to Airbnb’s Director of Product; Donna Boyer.

Donna

Here is some information about Donna:

Donna, is a self-confessed product geek obsessed with building smart technology. Donna started out at Harvard Business School where she researched the global economic impact of technology innovations. For over 20 years, she has focused on how to empower product teams to bring beauty and outstanding user experience into the digital world, leading product at Hyperion Solutions, Yahoo!, RMG Networks, Callaway Digital Arts and Blurb. At Airbnb, she leads the product team focused on the host experience. In addition to being an Airbnb Superhost, Donna is a mother of two and serves on the board of Girls in Tech, a non-profit focused on the engagement, education and empowerment of girls and women who are passionate about technology.

So how will this work?

The Q&A session will start at 12pm, PST/ 3PM EST/ 8PM BST on June 19th and it will be last for an hour. As soon as the session starts, hosts from throughout the Airbnb Community can post their questions to Donna in this thread. Donna will answer as many questions as she possibly can with the help of our team. You can post questions in these specific languages (English, French, German, Italian, Portuguese and Spanish) and our community managers will translate the questions (when they are not in English) so Donna can answer..

This thread is closed for new posts at the moment and it will open for your questions a few minutes before the session is due to start.

I am sure there will be lots of questions, so to make it easier for everyone taking part, we have created some handy guidelines to make sure the event runs smoothly and to maximise the number of questions we can answer.

Live Q&A Guidelines:

• Please, ask your questions here in this thread, otherwise we will not be able to see them and Donna will not receive them
  • You can ask several questions, but please try to ask only one question per post, this will help Donna to follow all of the questions being asked
  • Keep in mind the Community Center mentality, be respectful of the interviewee, members and their questions
  • We will answer as many questions as possible, however it may not be possible to answer everyone so please don’t post the same question repeatedly. This will not increase the chances of it being replied
  • Questions should be related to Donna’s role at Airbnb, this is a great opportunity to ask a senior member of the team questions so lets make the most of the time she's going to spend with us
  • During the session, Donna will be able to answer questions asked in English, French, German, Italian, Portuguese and Spanish with the help of the Community Managers across the six Community Center languages
  • Try and summarize your question as much as possible, this will save us time and allow for Donna to answer even more of your questions. You can formulate your questions before the Live Q&A session begins and post them once it starts

We look forward to seeing your questions and really hope you enjoy the Live Q&A.

Thank you,

Lizzie

Lese diesen Beitrag auf Deutsch:

Leia este tópico Portuguese:

Leggi questa discussione in italiano:

Lisez ce message en français:

Lee este hilo en Español:

238 Replies

Re: [Live Now!] Live Q&A with Donna Boyer, Director of Product

in
Paris, France
Level 10

It is nice to see the face of a person defining the products and thereby influencing our way of hosting. Maybe you could explain a bit more in the introduction of such a session, what you do and which questions concern you, Donna. Here are so very many questions that the usual team of the CC likeDave & Deb must have answered dozens of times. 

in
Liguria, Italy
Level 10

Hi @Donna_Boyer_QA,

Grazie per la disponibilità e per il tuo lavoro. Penso che per migliorare bisogna tenere in considerazione non solo le modifiche stilistiche ma anche quelle fattive legate ai comportamenti di Aribnb. Tutto ciò anche per considerare l'etica e non solo la bellezza di un prodotto. Secondo molte autorevoli statistiche, in Italia Airbnb offre di fatto un prodotto scarso in termini di regolarità degli annunci e di concorrenza leale. Tutto ciò, e sicuramente molto altro, ha portato a una guerra totale con molti rappresentanti degli albergatori che spingono verso leggi restrittive a danno dei proprietari. Rendersi conto che non è etico evitare alcuni basilari controlli, già messi in atto da alcuni concorrenti di Airbnb, deve far parte del processo di pacificazione. Sembra proprio che Airbn non voglia fare pace, abbandonando i proprietari che rischiano di vedersi privare diritti che sempre hanno avuti. Per favore, considerate quanto ho scritto che è il pensiero di molti utenti ed associazioni di proprietari immobiliari che qui non scrivono.  Grazie.

in
Liguria, Italy
Level 10

Hi @Donna_Boyer_QA,

Let me translate in English my previous message.

Thanks for the availability and for your work. I think that need to be considered not only the stylistic changes but also the changes associated with Aribnb's behavior. This to consider ethic and not just the beauty of a product. According to many authoritative statistics, in Italy Airbnb actually offers a poor product in terms of regularity and fair competition. All this, and certainly much more, has led to a total war with many hoteliers' representatives that are pushing for restrictive laws to the detriment of the owners. Realize that it is not ethical to avoid some basic controls, already implemented by some Airbnb competitors, it must necessarily be a part of the process of pacification. It just seems that Airbn does not want to make peace, abandoning owners who risk seeing deprivation of rights they always had. Please consider what I have written that is the thought of many owners and associations of property owners who do not write here. Thank you.

in
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Level 10

Sobre a página de ajuda a refugiados.
Entendo que varios anfitriões dependem do dinheiro das hospedagens para pagar as contas do espaço, não sendo possivel oferecê-lo de graça.
Seria interessante a possibilidade de oferecerem seus espaço pelo preço de custo e que outros anfitriões e hóspedes (que não podem oferecer de graça) possam comprar essas hospedagens e oferecerem como doação aos refugiados, tudo pela plataforma de vocês.
Aumentando assim as possibilidades de participação da comunidade.
O que acham?

Danielle

Re: [Ended!] Live Q&A with Donna Boyer, Director of Product

in
Trinidad, Cuba
Level 1

Como puedo seleccionar los paises de los cuales pueden hacerme reservas

in
México D.F., Mexico
Level 4

Hi, thanks for this

I have complained often by phone and twitter that airbnb system does not show the exact same thing in all applications (laptop, ipad, phone), they keep saying your guys are working on it but the change never arrives. We also receive as hosts emails that are not accurate to what the case is (i.e. a cancellation I had said the guest received all the refun when it was the other way around, the airbnb team apologized for the mistake). But can't something so simlpe be fixed sooner? you are indeed a billion company.

in
México D.F., Mexico
Level 4

Another question, has Airbnb thought about a way to alert to the guests that third-party reservations are not approved and to make them responsible when trying to smug in extra guests without paying. Somehow as a host I feel we are totally non supported regarding this situation and it really does affect our fee (vs the services used by an extra person not paying for their stay) and our tranquility. I know Airbnb is trying to held new airbnb guests accountable of the house rules in a more obvious way, but shouldnt it be for all types of guests and not only new. But what bothers me the most is that we don't know when it has been rolled out for our country or listing, wouldn't it be good that Airbnb is more communicative about this and other things been rolled out and when the changes are for real? thank you in advance

in
Vancouver, Canada
Level 2

Is there anyway to revert back to the old Hosting Calendar on the left, Pricing on the right-hand bar?  It was convenient to have Calendar, Pricing, and Availability editing tools all on one page to cross-reference changes with my calendar.  On the new calendar, it is not as easy to catch scheduling and pricing errors.  

in
La Plata, Argentina
Level 3

Decepcion total ...!!!!!!!!!!!! 

El mail recibido decia " chat en directo ", si esto fue un chat por favor que alguien le avise a Wikipedia que revise el término chat.  Un chat es una CHARLA o CONVERSACION dende se puede ir viendo lo que se pregunta y se responde.

Que alguien me explique para que recibi 200 mails de preguntas sin respuestas. realmente no entendi cual fue el objetivo de Donna.

Donna, puedo entender que tengan buena voluntad, pero DEBERIAN haber aclarado que esto NO era un chat para evitarnos PERDER 2 horas de nuestro tiempo.

Gracias

in
Havana, CU
Level 2

Por favor no me llegan los sms a mi telefono cuando me consultan

in
Ossining, NY
Level 1

I am a host in USA, how do i handle it when someone books for one and two people show up? I have a 10am checkout, I dont mind if my guests are here til 11am. but I have had people here until after 1:00pm ( both times I allowed them to check in early but no discussion on late check out.) I now have to ask each request if they read the house rules and understand the check out time.

in
Templeton, CA
Level 10

@MaryEllen12 With regards to extra guests,  you can make an alteration to the reservation to add the second guest.  The guest would need to approve the alteration, however, so best to discuss this with the reserving guest, pointing out that you charge extra for more than one guest.  

If the guest doesn't or won't approve the additional charge, you can file a Resolution Center claim for more money.  Again, the guest will have the option to decline, but after 72 hours you can escalate the matter to Airbnb who will make a final decision. 

Here are some links which may be useful: 

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/50/i-m-a-host--how-do-i-make-a-change-to-a-confirmed-reservation

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/767/what-is-the-resolution-center

Regarding late check out.  You can remind the guests who deliberately and without your permission stay after your check out time that Airbnb allows hosts to charge 2x the nightly rate for any 24 hour period or portion for overstays.  Here's the relevant section of the Terms of Service which states this: 

"8.2.2 You agree to leave the Accommodation no later than the checkout time that the Host specifies in the Listing or such other time as mutually agreed upon between you and the Host. If you stay past the agreed upon checkout time without the Host's consent (“Overstay”), you no longer have a license to stay in the Accommodation and the Host is entitled to make you leave in a manner consistent with applicable law. In addition, you agree to pay, if requested by the Host, for each twenty-four (24) hour period (or any portion thereof) that you Overstay, an additional nightly fee of up to two (2) times the average nightly Listing Fee originally paid by you to cover the inconvenience suffered by the Host, plus all applicable Guest Fees, Taxes, and any legal expenses incurred by the Host to make you leave (collectively, "Overstay Fees"). Overstay Fees for late checkouts on the checkout date that do not impact upcoming bookings may be limited to the additional costs incurred by the Host as a result of such Overstay. Airbnb Payments will collect Overstay Fees from you pursuant to the Payments Terms. A Security Deposit, if required by a Host, may be applied to any Overstay Fees due for a Guest’s Overstay."

I'm sure that will get the guest's attention!

Clare

in
Gordo, AL
Level 2

Trying to get to page with menu on the left hand side of listing. I,be seen it before, but can never find it

in
São José, Brazil
Level 2

Boa noite

Recebi umamens que eu cancelei uma estadia mas nao a fiz. Como posso fazer para confirmar este cliente novamente